Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Seneca satelite question

Hi all- finally got our new Seneca 2018.5 37K and have sold our fiver, truck, house and had a huge garage sale. House closes Oct 12th (fingers crossed) and will finally be full timers. I've been reading all the good advice and have learned a great deal from all you good folks that post on this forum-it is a treasure trove of info! I've added snap pads on the levelers and plugged all my mirror holes per recommendations I've seen on here. I do have a question about the satellite system- I want to replace the in motion sat. with a winegard traveler dish to get Directv HD. Has anyone done this and do I need the additional mount plate sold separately to support this dish? They sell it for thin roofs but not sure if the fiberglass roof needs it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Ron n Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

Search under this category "Seneca Mods" you will find a 2-16 thread where its discussed at about the 4th or 5th page. Was to DirecTv Traveler. Good luch.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #3

Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your new truck! We most-time in ours and enjoy it.

Can’t offer any advice on your questions as we ordered ours with the HD Dish just in case we needed that service.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #4

I have direct and wish I had dish. I also caution you on saying your full time in a Seneca. Jayco does not recommend this and it could affect you warranty. Not to say there isn't a lot of us doing this. Direct tv does not work in most of Canada and not at all in Alaska as we found out this summer.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #5

Congrats on your full-timing adventure! I'd be interested in knowing what the insurance hit is for your full-time rig over its recreational-only use.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #6

I like the statement of "Most Timing". Maybe that is what we should call what we do. We bought off the lot and did not order. Therefore ours came with a King Receiver on the roof. We have it hooked up to DISH. Very satisfied with the service. We carry a Winegard Tailgater, that we used on prior trailers before buying our Seneca. We use this when we are under trees, in locations where there is not a clear line of sight to the southern sky. I had to do some custom wiring to remove the 'booster" from the coax run through the Seneca, so it could be used for the satellite DISH connection. A little time consuming , but achievable, once you understand the theory.

Best of luck with your dreams, you'll be amazed as to how much fun you can have.

We've ended up with the "Dish Outdoors" plan and it meets all our needs.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies- I took another look at the roof where the in motion sat. is when installing vent covers and 360 siphon vent caps yesterday- looks to be solid enough for the traveler dish, (I was surprised that Jayco didn't put vent covers on at the factory but I understand they have to keep costs down to sell at the price they do). I will try to say "most timing" from now on but I'm still getting used to not saying " the trailer" as we switched from a fiver. As far as insurance cost it's hard to say right now as we are keeping State Farm and as things sell (5th wheel, 2 trucks, house) it keeps changing. Back to the satellite- I have had DirecTV forever and although the in motion can receive standard definition I really want HD as I'll be taking all my equipment with me and like the idea of not having to reset all my channels and settings. I have a tripod dish I used with the 5th wheel that I was going to get rid of but I think I'll keep it for tree avoidance (thanks for the suggestion) and for the booster info too! Thanks to all for the warm wishes- one final question, I see many refer to the Seneca as a truck, if this is true I love it!! Much easier for me than coach or motorhome!
Ron n Penney is offline   Reply With Quote