Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Seneca sewer slinky storage

I have always struggled with organizing my sewer hose; keeping it somewhere safe where it won't get damaged by something else while in transit. Since my Seneca is older it uses the traditional 3" hose unlike the newer units with a macerator. Crawling around underneath my unit recently doing other projects it hit me that I could put a tube from my wet bay compartment towards the other side of the rig. It is up high enough where it certainly cannot scrape or drag. It also should be out of the path of any debris thrown from the rear tires. The access cap will be installed in the wet bay and is positioned so I can just feed the slinky out of the tube, out the porthole right underneath the actual dump valves, and connect it up. Should work very smoothly.

Since I have a slinky hose with large heavy-duty fittings it would not fit in a 4" sewer pipe. 5" pipe is very uncommon here so I went with 6". I considered a square vinyl post wrap, but I decided on the pipe option. Purchased a threaded cleanout connection, cleanout cap, blank cap, and the pipe. Drilled the wet bay compartment back wall with my adjustable hole cutter, it required a 6.25" hole. The cleanout connector fits snugly through. Fabricated a bracket for the other end that is bolted to the leveler cylinder bracket. Then the pipe is secured to the bracket with a stainless steel strap. I had to "dimple" the pipe a bit to clear the frame rail, it wasn't hard using my high-output heat gun and some gentle pressure. Cemented everything together and it is very solid.

All went well, now all I need to do is to spray undercoating on everything so it disappears into everything else under there!
Attached Thumbnails
Sewer hose storage tube.jpg   Sewer hose storage wet bay view.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have always struggled with organizing my sewer hose; keeping it somewhere safe where it won't get damaged by something else while in transit. Since my Seneca is older it uses the traditional 3" hose unlike the newer units with a macerator. Crawling around underneath my unit recently doing other projects it hit me that I could put a tube from my wet bay compartment towards the other side of the rig. It is up high enough where it certainly cannot scrape or drag. It also should be out of the path of any debris thrown from the rear tires. The access cap will be installed in the wet bay and is positioned so I can just feed the slinky out of the tube, out the porthole right underneath the actual dump valves, and connect it up. Should work very smoothly.

Since I have a slinky hose with large heavy-duty fittings it would not fit in a 4" sewer pipe. 5" pipe is very uncommon here so I went with 6". I considered a square vinyl post wrap, but I decided on the pipe option. Purchased a threaded cleanout connection, cleanout cap, blank cap, and the pipe. Drilled the wet bay compartment back wall with my adjustable hole cutter, it required a 6.25" hole. The cleanout connector fits snugly through. Fabricated a bracket for the other end that is bolted to the leveler cylinder bracket. Then the pipe is secured to the bracket with a stainless steel strap. I had to "dimple" the pipe a bit to clear the frame rail, it wasn't hard using my high-output heat gun and some gentle pressure. Cemented everything together and it is very solid.

All went well, now all I need to do is to spray undercoating on everything so it disappears into everything else under there!
You are always an inspiration... cost me a bunch of $$$ with some great ideas too.

Now I'm wondering if we can modify this so that we can shove 40' of Rhino Flex into that ??? Yes we carry (and use) that much (actually more depending on where we are)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Wow, that turned out nice, been thinking about looking at doing something like this. Did you drill any drain hole at the end of the tube for any drips? I have the macerator and have used it a couple time but really don’t care for it. In 30 years I have never needed to pump my waste uphill or a long distance. Already removed the hose and capped off and may just remove it to actually have some room in the wet bay.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:

Another future mod!
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You are always an inspiration... cost me a bunch of $$$ with some great ideas too.

Now I'm wondering if we can modify this so that we can shove 40' of Rhino Flex into that ??? Yes we carry (and use) that much (actually more depending on where we are)
I was thinking with 6" pipe, Rhinoflex (what I use too) would probably fit through an elbow such that you could turn it toward the rear and extend the pipe. Any pipe size smaller and I bet not, but there may be room in 6". Just have to leave the slinky sections connected so you can pull out what you need without "losing" the rest somewhere you can't reach!

Working today to finish my ramp, winch, and locking mechanism to secure my Barker sewer tote between the frame rails. Between my air dump, the hose storage, and the tote; I've been spending a lot of time under my unit looking up!
Attached Thumbnails
20180717_195006.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Wow, that turned out nice, been thinking about looking at doing something like this. Did you drill any drain hole at the end of the tube for any drips? I have the macerator and have used it a couple time but really don’t care for it. In 30 years I have never needed to pump my waste uphill or a long distance. Already removed the hose and capped off and may just remove it to actually have some room in the wet bay.
I did not, my plan for cleaning it now is to jack up the passenger side and rinse it out. But I may put a 1/4" hole in it too.

I have a Flojet portable macerator pump which I use here at home after trips to dump "travel waste" and to flush and really clean my tanks here. I made up my own heavy-duty 1"hose with banjo fittings to pump directly into my home (city) sewer. I installed a designated connection into my plumbing in my garage which works great. Has a banjo cap on the inlet for when I'm done to close things off securely.

But like you, the slinky works just fine while camping.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbyr View Post
i have always struggled with organizing my sewer hose; keeping it somewhere safe where it won't get damaged by something else while in transit. Since my seneca is older it uses the traditional 3" hose unlike the newer units with a macerator. Crawling around underneath my unit recently doing other projects it hit me that i could put a tube from my wet bay compartment towards the other side of the rig. It is up high enough where it certainly cannot scrape or drag. It also should be out of the path of any debris thrown from the rear tires. The access cap will be installed in the wet bay and is positioned so i can just feed the slinky out of the tube, out the porthole right underneath the actual dump valves, and connect it up. Should work very smoothly.

Since i have a slinky hose with large heavy-duty fittings it would not fit in a 4" sewer pipe. 5" pipe is very uncommon here so i went with 6". I considered a square vinyl post wrap, but i decided on the pipe option. Purchased a threaded cleanout connection, cleanout cap, blank cap, and the pipe. Drilled the wet bay compartment back wall with my adjustable hole cutter, it required a 6.25" hole. The cleanout connector fits snugly through. Fabricated a bracket for the other end that is bolted to the leveler cylinder bracket. Then the pipe is secured to the bracket with a stainless steel strap. I had to "dimple" the pipe a bit to clear the frame rail, it wasn't hard using my high-output heat gun and some gentle pressure. Cemented everything together and it is very solid.

All went well, now all i need to do is to spray undercoating on everything so it disappears into everything else under there!

nice!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:

Rusty, is using the macerator an option? Can you dump the black tank using a regular 3" sewer hose?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

Another great project from Robbbyr. I don’t carry a large hose as the macerator works great but this mod might provide space for a hose that might be good for back up. I carry a fifty ft 3/4 inch hose for those situations were the macerator-hose is too short or when camping with friends that requires me to park different then the site is designed. The hose allows me to pump into my house clean out as well.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

Nicely done Rob. I really like the macerator on mine but I carry a hose for the day when the pump or hose fails.

I think I will do something similar when we return from this trip.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Rusty, is using the macerator an option? Can you dump the black tank using a regular 3" sewer hose?
Yes you can bypass the macerator and use a standard sewer hose. I have a dump at my house and don’t like using the macerator because I don’t like the idea of pressurized waste and have read so many stories of hose failures and don’t like the fact that I can’t see when my black tanks are flushed clean as I can with the 3” clear 90.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes you can bypass the macerator and use a standard sewer hose. I have a dump at my house and don’t like using the macerator because I don’t like the idea of pressurized waste and have read so many stories of hose failures and don’t like the fact that I can’t see when my black tanks are flushed clean as I can with the 3” clear 90.
Thank you! Is there some sort of onboard bypass or do you have to create one?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Thank you! Is there some sort of onboard bypass or do you have to create one?
Comes from factory to dump either way. Bad thing is if you just dump with 3” hose, sewage will start building up in the macerator hose and start smelling. Some have added a shut off valve (blade or ball type) to stop this but I just pulled my hose off and capped it with a fernco rubber cap until I decide what I’m going to do.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
I was thinking with 6" pipe, Rhinoflex (what I use too) would probably fit through an elbow such that you could turn it toward the rear and extend the pipe. Any pipe size smaller and I bet not, but there may be room in 6". Just have to leave the slinky sections connected so you can pull out what you need without "losing" the rest somewhere you can't reach!

Working today to finish my ramp, winch, and locking mechanism to secure my Barker sewer tote between the frame rails. Between my air dump, the hose storage, and the tote; I've been spending a lot of time under my unit looking up!
Maybe use 2ea 45 elbows to get around corner so hose can slide easier?
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dananu View Post
Maybe use 2ea 45 elbows to get around corner so hose can slide easier?
Exactly what I did! I turned it 90 degrees and installed another cleanout plug in my passenger-side compartment. Now I can store both sections of hose I carry.
Attached Thumbnails
20180726_141943.jpg  
Old 09-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

Just purchased 2017 37TS with macerator, and think I am going to like it. Been at a lot of campground where dump piping is to high to drain, and end up lifting hose to drain. But, doesn't drain for 3" hose still go thru macerator??
JJFRANCIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFRANCIS View Post
Just purchased 2017 37TS with macerator, and think I am going to like it. Been at a lot of campground where dump piping is to high to drain, and end up lifting hose to drain. But, doesn't drain for 3" hose still go thru macerator??
Yes, the 4 inch slinky hose connection is attached to the side of the macerator box.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #18

Hey Rob I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I've been doing some reading after picking up my new to me 2012 36FK and I'm liking the mods you've done. Can you show any more pics of your tote ramp? You mentioned you were using a winch for it. Would that be like a spare tire winch with crank? You made your from steel and welded it up. Could it be made using sliced (in half) PVC to save weight? Thanks in advance.
partsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsiam View Post
Hey Rob I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I've been doing some reading after picking up my new to me 2012 36FK and I'm liking the mods you've done. Can you show any more pics of your tote ramp? You mentioned you were using a winch for it. Would that be like a spare tire winch with crank? You made your from steel and welded it up. Could it be made using sliced (in half) PVC to save weight? Thanks in advance.
My ramp was actually constructed of aluminum. My concern using PVC concern would be the potential for it being brittle with age and in cold weather. Since it is located behind the axle I suspect it can take a pounding on our "wonderful" roads.

My winch was a Lippert tire winch, here is a link to the unit I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I put an extension rod on the winch and can operate it with my drill inside my right side rearmost compartment (picture attached). It is the rod on the right side of the picture. I lower it until the ramps rest on the ground and then just a bit more so I can disconnect the winch cable from the ramp. Then I pull the winch back up out of the way. Reverse the process to return the ramp up into place. And my ramp has positive locks on both sides so while it is raised and lowered by the winch it is held in place by the locks.

I've used it on multiple occasions with great results. I've had some other campers ask me how I could get it back in the storage position full of liquid. I have to explain to them I always empty it before I stow it, sometimes I can't do a great rinse before we leave but I can always do that back here at home. It would likely be impossible to put it up there full! We always have our toad so I just drag it to the dump station before we head out to our next destination.

Some additional pictures are here in my JOF photo album: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1811.html
Attached Thumbnails
Ramp winch and water accumulator pressure port.jpg  
Old 01-15-2022, 11:09 AM   #20

Absolutely brilliant! have you thought about bringing that idea to the manufacturer? Utilizing existing space and not adding much weight but adding another +/- 40 gals of waste storage is huge! Thanks for the info. Safe travels!

My next search is to change security locks on the storage hatches.
partsiam is offline   Reply With Quote