Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Cool Seneca Shower Door

Need help with modifications made to the Seneca shower door latch. We have a 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS which we love and have already put over 7500 miles on it in less than 6 months with the family. Our question is what type of modifications have you made to the plastic shower door latch to keep the glass door from sliding back and forth when traveling? We have found that this latch is poorly made and too weak to hold back the weight of the door. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and pictures if applicable.
Hedge-Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

I have been waiting for someone to put this up here for discussion for about a year now. We are going to pick up our 2018 TS this Saturday and that issue is definitely in the back of my head. I have been in countless Seneca's where the show door moved around during test drives and was always off the track when I went to see that area of the bathroom. In the past I assumed that a salesperson simply forgot to latch it before it got loose and jumped the track; seams that's not the case since an owner is posting here to discuss.

We must clarify that this shower changed in the 2016 model year from being a clamshell design to that of a three piece sliding door.

Looking forward to the advice of those with experience!
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #3

A suggestion...search a couple of marine hardware sites. Latches see a lot of use in boats.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #4

The 2018 has a very secure latch and keeps all three panels securely in place. Not sure if the clip breaks after awhile but as delivered the door panels do not move or rattle. The only time it failed so far is when I forgot to latch it.

Good luck on your pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #5

We have a 2015/16 Jayco Seneca 37FS and the shower door latch is metal, I think. We always travel with the shower doors closed and latched. I realize the different bathroom configurations, may make this a totally mute point, but it is what I can offer to the conversation.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
We must clarify that this shower changed in the 2016 model year from being a clamshell design to that of a three piece sliding door.
Our 2016 has the clamshell door and the latch works fine. The door seal is also magnetic which helps with closure too.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #7

Slide all the doors to one side, measure and cut small wooden dowel rods to take up the space in each glass track. You might want to put screws in the ends of the dowels so you can remove them (put screws in 90 degrees of the ends). Solves all the rattles when driving down the road.
Indianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge-Hog View Post
Need help with modifications made to the Seneca shower door latch. We have a 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS which we love and have already put over 7500 miles on it in less than 6 months with the family. Our question is what type of modifications have you made to the plastic shower door latch to keep the glass door from sliding back and forth when traveling? We have found that this latch is poorly made and too weak to hold back the weight of the door. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and pictures if applicable.
Our Seneca is a 2012 37FK on a Freightliner, and our shower doors are only two pieces, but we have the same latch problems. With half a dozen little girls from 12 and under with us, we can't have anything complicated. We use a super-sturdy rubber band to hold the doors shut, and the girls can operate it without breaking it. If they do, it's a $0.25 fix. I try to keep most of my life 'battlefield simple."
Ray
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

"Battlefield Simple" - I like that.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

On the road and our 2018.5 RB latch just broke. It is the 3 piece sliding glass doors and the latch hooks over the handle. 3 long zip ties are holding it now. Anybody know a place to get one other than Jayco?

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

In our 16 Eagle 321 RSTS we have same 3 piece sliding door for the shower. Are latch is metal maybe check with Jayco! Never had any issues almost 3 years!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower handle.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #12

My latch bike after I first read this and tested it. I now have a wooden dowel that sits in the track and keeps it open tight when traveling.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
On the road and our 2018.5 RB latch just broke. It is the 3 piece sliding glass doors and the latch hooks over the handle. 3 long zip ties are holding it now. Anybody know a place to get one other than Jayco?
Why would you want to get one other than through Jayco? If your dealer can't help you, call Tripp at "Motor Homes 2 Go" in Grand Rapids and he'll get you the part. (616) 301 - 6920. Great dealership with great service!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #14

If you happen to find the part, would you mind posting the part number and where you found it? Thanks
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #15

Update on my latch, local dealer is waiting for one from Jayco but said it will be another week and we are leaving for a trip Friday. I was looking at the latch and thought why not make one. Had some 3/16" aluminum and after some bandsaw, sander and file work and about 15 minutes of work I had a latch that will NEVER break again. I even took the extra step and powder coated it red to help remind the DW to latch it after use I'll update if that works out.
Attached Thumbnails
hook.jpg  

Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #16

Nice work amazing what can be built in a home shop or garage! Maybe patent that puppy!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #17

the plastic latch on our 2017 broke the first time I tried to use it. a piece of solid wire with heat shrink tubing on it worked fine and didn't look to bad. the plastic piece is so brittle and cheap I just left the wire in place works ten times better.
jpolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Update on my latch, local dealer is waiting for one from Jayco but said it will be another week and we are leaving for a trip Friday. I was looking at the latch and thought why not make one. Had some 3/16" aluminum and after some bandsaw, sander and file work and about 15 minutes of work I had a latch that will NEVER break again. I even took the extra step and powder coated it red to help remind the DW to latch it after use I'll update if that works out.
Would you be willing to make another one for sale? Mine keeps breaking in my 2018 Greyhawk. That original plastic part is such a poor design!
rvthereyet.idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvthereyet.idaho View Post
Would you be willing to make another one for sale? Mine keeps breaking in my 2018 Greyhawk. That original plastic part is such a poor design!

Working on it......
Attached Thumbnails
handle.jpg  

Old 12-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #20
MD3

My shower latch just broke this last weekend.
I threw a rubberband on it to get home.

Anyone have a part number for another factory latch ?
Any other options for securing the doors ?

I emailed Jayco to see if they could send me one to avoid two weeks at the dealer for a 2 minute fix... they replied that they could NOT send parts out to a retail customer.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latch, seneca, shower, shower door