Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Seneca Shower Drain Leaking

Noticed that the shower drain was leaking after DW shower yesterday. Was able to take out the heat return and access the area. I noticed that it was coming from the drain and attempted to tighten up the nut holding the drain to the shower floor. While this did significantly slow the leak it’s not dry under there. I removed the entire chrome drain from the floor and noticed that they have a week looking foam seal in the top; the more robust rubber seal is under the shower where it is likely to have virtually no effect due to rough surface it contacts. I am a little uncertain as of where to go from here to permanently solve the leak.

Do I take it out and put bathroom silicone down and reattach the drain to the shower floor?

Do I find some better rubber seal rather than sealants?

This occurred after a 2200 mike trip so it’s understandable I shook some things loose.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #2

I'd remove it and use plumbers putty. The same stuff that's used to seal a garbage disposal to the sink in your home. I've had all my sinks and drains apart when I replaced them and this is what I've done with no problems. Although admittingly, I haven't done anything to the shower drain. I've also seen thin rubber gaskets at Lowes and Home Depot but I'm old school and use the putty.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #3

Ditto on the putty works great
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

I haven't had that issue yet, but it's good to know. From past issues, I used the putty on top with a thin silicone washer and a thicker more pliable rubber washer on the bottom. Never leaked again. Also check that the floor of the shower is stable and supported well. Flexing the floor will make any shower leak. Good luck.
adonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Although I haven't had this problem with my rig yet, I am a plumbing contractor. A drain is a drain. I recommend using putty. Good Luck
lordgreyskuull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

From previous RVs, I have learned to put in blocks of wood to support the pan. You don't want too much flex....
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote