Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #1

Seneca Slide-Out Controller Location

Still having issues with my bunk bed slide-out on my brand new 2017 FS. It seems like a good idea to me to first check the controller board and see what error code is being thrown before going further. If someone knows where this controller is please let me know.

Thanks!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Javamon, my bunk slide out controller is located under the master bed. You have to remove the cheesy wood paneling Jayco cover. Here is a picture of mine with the red circle around it. What issues are you having with the bunk slide?

Regards

ed
Attached Thumbnails
Controller.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

My bunk slide had issues as well. New higher power motors definitely helped. Also found the spade connections to be loose at the controller and tightened them up. It still would sometimes not want to respond after a road trip. We'd go to put it out and it wouldn't respond at all. I found that if you gave it a bump with your hip that did the trick. Put a new controller in it right before selling it...never got a chance to see if it fixed the issue. Jayco was great about helping me out with it...in and out of warranty.

I hope you get it fixed.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

Thanks very much Ed! I was afraid it would be under the bed lift. Of course the slide is closed so lifting that bed up (w/o the gas struts that JAYCO decided to discontinue) will be a trick. It's still lagging on the back-end so I think it might be hanging-up on something. I no longer think it's a motor sync issue. I will check the controller then put my 210 lbs behind the back-end (while the DW presses the switch) to see if I can coax it out. The front slide, which is not Schwintek, has worked flawlessly. I will post what I discover because I'm sure other new FS owners may experience this same problem. This Schwintek slide and/or its FS implementation, sure seems to be problematic. To be continued...
Old 05-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Javamon, sounds like your Schwintec motors are out of time. Ours was like yours the first time I tried to deploy the bunk slide the forward motor engaged and the rear sort of hung back on running. When I retracted the bunk slide, the rear end did not come all the way in snug against the body of the RV. I searched "trouble shooting schwintec systems" and found out we were out of sync. If you do a search on youtube for "retime schwintec" systems you will find the below videos. One thing we learned is you hold the retract or deploy button until you are all the way out or in.

regards

ed

Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #6

Thanks Ed. Those are the two videos I have been using for reference and I've tried a dozen times. I did get it working once last weekend and was very careful to hold the switch down for 5 seconds after it fully closed. I'll keep at it. Shultz01 stated he had to manually coax it on occasion. SJD also let me know about a control wire that runs under the slide that can get hung up. I'll let you know how it goes. I was hoping to look at the controller but realized I can't get the bed raised up with the slide closed.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #7

Thank you for posting those excellent videos. Knowledge is a wonderful tool. Sharing it is the greatest form of friendship.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #8

Javamon- any progress on the slide issue? I sure hope this isn't ruining your new ownership experience too much. Good luck with it.

Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Javamon- any progress on the slide issue? I sure hope this isn't ruining your new ownership experience too much. Good luck with it.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I was able to get the slide to extend late yesterday. I'm going to leave it as is (extended) until Wed and then I will try a retract/extend and see what happens. Thanks for asking. I'm sure I'll be a Schwintek slide expert in no time at all!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Mark,

I was able to get the slide to extend late yesterday. I'm going to leave it as is (extended) until Wed and then I will try a retract/extend and see what happens. Thanks for asking. I'm sure I'll be a Schwintek slide expert in no time at all!
How did you finally fix it? I have the same issue with a 2012 39FS I just purchased. The rear lower of the rear slide acts like it is bottoming out on something and will not retract fully. It also pops like the gear is slipping.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
SJD

Just a thought. I was sure my motors were toast on the bedroom slide but found out that the center plastic piece under the slide (that the roller moves on) had jammed up underneath and was keeping the slide from moving either way. Had to remove kick plate inside coach bedroom and work the broken pieces out. Then the slide would work both in and out.
Jayco sent the replacement pieces to my repair center and they were repaired under warranty. Don't attempt to repair your self, that slide is very heavy. Took several tries for the repair center to get the slide high enough to slip piece in and aligned. After the repair you will have to resync the motors.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4ster View Post
Here is a picture of mine
What are the silver and black boxes laying on the floor for? Is one the load transfer switch?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #13

Need Real Time Help. My slide system is all jacked right now. A month ago they replaced the entire schwintek system and since then it has never acted right. Right now, here is what happens:

Slide out going to come in: Left and Right motor both start at same time. About 3-4 inches in, the right motor stops for about a second causing the slide to go somewhat crooked, the motor then starts back up again and pulls the slide all the way in crooked until the left gets to the stop and then the right motor will pull it the rest of the way in and it will be fully closed.

Slide in going out: Both motors start off, but the left one stops after going about 3 inches and then never goes again. The right one will keep going until the slide is crooked enough to stop it from going out. Now, if I push on the left and keep the slide moving, I can get it to open all the way and then about 3 inches from fully open the left motor starts again and pulls it the rest of the way open.

I have attempted to do the retime thing following the videos to a tee...and if I only pull it three inches in to perform the retime, both motors are timed, opening and closing no problem. It is after 3 inches that one of them stops for some reason or the other. I am wondering if there is any way to fully reset the controller so I can have it relearn everything.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Rick the silver box is the transfer switch and the black is our EMS-HW50C surge protector.

ed
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #15

Have you looked through this Schwintek slide troubleshooting guide?

ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek-Slide-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf (2.65 MB, 20 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #16

As much as a pain this will be, I would first eliminate that the slide does not have a mechanical hangup somewhere. To do this you will have to disengage both motors and with some helper(s) manually push it out and then back in to see if it is hanging up anywhere. I remember seeing a post about a year ago of an FS owner having difficulties with the bedroom slide. Turns out the power cable that runs along the back wall of the slide (on the floor) was interfering with the slide.
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #17

Here's a link for the service manual. Provides a lot more info. According to page 18, para. B, disconnecting the two wire harnesses from the controller disengages the motor lock and allows then slide to be manually moved w/o removing the motors.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ce_Manual1.pdf
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #18

Looks like I was able to get them both moving again. It is not perfect, but it works. The right side still has a very short pause like .5 seconds now, but everything else works. Next time it is at the dealer, this will be corrected. I was able to teach it more I believe, by starting with doing 2 inches out, then going to 6 or so, then going to 12 inches and then slowly but surely all the way out and all the way in. Kind of a PITA, but at least it trained it to not stop on the left going out.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Need Real Time Help. My slide system is all jacked right now. A month ago they replaced the entire schwintek system and since then it has never acted right. Right now, here is what happens:

Slide out going to come in: Left and Right motor both start at same time. About 3-4 inches in, the right motor stops for about a second causing the slide to go somewhat crooked, the motor then starts back up again and pulls the slide all the way in crooked until the left gets to the stop and then the right motor will pull it the rest of the way in and it will be fully closed.

Slide in going out: Both motors start off, but the left one stops after going about 3 inches and then never goes again. The right one will keep going until the slide is crooked enough to stop it from going out. Now, if I push on the left and keep the slide moving, I can get it to open all the way and then about 3 inches from fully open the left motor starts again and pulls it the rest of the way open.

I have attempted to do the retime thing following the videos to a tee...and if I only pull it three inches in to perform the retime, both motors are timed, opening and closing no problem. It is after 3 inches that one of them stops for some reason or the other. I am wondering if there is any way to fully reset the controller so I can have it relearn everything.
Why did they replace the whole system? That sounds very unusual?
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #20

Both I and them were hearing it click when opening. They were pretty sure it was the gears, so they replaced it. I know they changed out some rollers and stuff while they were in there so I dont know what resulted in fixing it for sure, but it does not click anymore...still is not pefectly aligned, but I am trying to work on that and will have them correct this too if I cant make it happy.