Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Seneca smell only when driving

I have a 2013 Seneca and have noticed a smell only when in motion...I have had my wife crawling around trying to find (amusement is the only result) I cannot find the issue or smell source. I have had a fridge issue where we had food spoilage but it was throughly cleaned Any thoughts??
KingRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

From black tank? Believe there is an exhaust pipe on the roof...plugged/covered up?
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

What does the smell, smell like?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

We had a 2013 Entegra Aspire. Had a problem with smell. It was the washing machine dirty water hose. It was too long and dirty water sat in it.
We just made that hose smaller and no more smell, and no more water sitting in the hose...

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoy View Post
I have a 2013 Seneca and have noticed a smell only when in motion...I have had my wife crawling around trying to find (amusement is the only result) I cannot find the issue or smell source. I have had a fridge issue where we had food spoilage but it was throughly cleaned Any thoughts??
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
What does the smell, smell like?
X2, Could be a lot of things, is it stronger in any particular area? If it smells like sewer it could be a trap that sloshed the water out. Our htt shower does that, so I pull a drain plug in while traveling. There are a series of spring loaded vents under each sink, I have seen them go bad. If the odor is up in the cab, you might have a antifreeze leak in the heater core.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #6

In mine I had a sewer smell only when driving. I installed one of these
Camco RV Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent - Walmart.com

And the smell went away. Air can be pushed down the roof vent for the black tank and end up in the living area.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

We had a smell in our mh when driving. The water was not staying in the sink traps and causing sewer gas from the gray tank. Putting stoppers in the sink helped a little as well as cyclone vents on the stacks. I wouldn't think a black tank would smell unless you used the toilet because it is sealed and there isn't a way for the smell to get in the unit when you are under way. They do make a sink trap that seals and that may be the best solution.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

I bet you will find you have an ASTVD installed under one of your sinks.
I am attaching the definition and drawing from the RVIA standards book.
I have one and it burps grey water tank gas, which can be nastier than black water.
I use treatment chemicals in the grey water tank now and it helps. I was thinking about defeating this and relying soles on the roof vent, but adding a venturi device on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
astvd.jpg  
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

You Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I bet you will find you have an ASTVD installed under one of your sinks.
I am attaching the definition and drawing from the RVIA standards book.
I have one and it burps grey water tank gas, which can be nastier than black water.
I use treatment chemicals in the grey water tank now and it helps. I was thinking about defeating this and relying soles on the roof vent, but adding a venturi device on the roof.
TX_Arvee

The ASTVD was the issue. i had strong smells only when in motion and we located the odor coming from under the kitchen sink. I put down some enzyme cleaner and the only smell i get now is that wonderful aroma...little better than they grey water smell...

thanks for the heads up!

KingRoy
Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Found out it was the grey water tank smell coming from a one way vent from under the kitchen sink...
Old 05-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #11

Question about roofing caulk

I am pretty sure we have this exact issue. When my husband is driving I am searching for the smell. I have narrowed it down to the bathroom and almost certain it is coming out of the air conditioner vent in the ceiling. My husband is going to investigate but we want to purchase the roof caulk before starting the project. What kind did you use and where do I get it? Thank you.
Katwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #12

Those posts you are asking about are from 2015. Don't expect an answer about your caulking question.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwhi View Post
I am pretty sure we have this exact issue. When my husband is driving I am searching for the smell. I have narrowed it down to the bathroom and almost certain it is coming out of the air conditioner vent in the ceiling. My husband is going to investigate but we want to purchase the roof caulk before starting the project. What kind did you use and where do I get it? Thank you.

I use Dicor products https://dicorproducts.com/product-ca...roof-products/
I have the tape and caulk

The air conditioner is a closed system, not taking air from the outside. That doesn't mean that can't be a problem with these units. A member had a vent line run through an air channel.
I would check the commonly named LA Vents, located under the sinks and the ceiling fans near the outside vents.
They make other outside vent adapters though I haven't used them.
Telling us what rig you have helps too.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #14

We have always battled a faint black tank odor around our front bathroom since new. I had changed the toilet base gasket, Air Admittance valve under the sink, which was bad, but driving in certain wind directions or boondocking after about 7-10 day, we would smell it. Well others have found open gaps around their roof vent pipes and roof panels so thought I would check……now I know where it was coming from. The vent cap is a 2 piece, base and cap. The vent pipe should stick up through the base, providing a decent seal, and then the cap screws on. 3 out of 4 vents were correct with the pipe sticking through the base but the vent for the front black tank was cut to short, leaving about a 3/16” gap and then once the base was removed, I found a very oversized hole was never sealed. Now it gets even better, when they drilled the hole in the roof, they drilled through the AC ductwork, both the grey and black vents were drilled through the ductwork. So at times, we were getting sewer gas seeping into our AC ductwork causing the smell and making it hard to pinpoint. Foam was an easy solution for the gap but didn’t want it going into the AC ducting so I used some Dollar Store cutting mat material and fit it down around the duct cutout and vent pipe, then foamed it in sealing it all off. I then installed a better vent cap, using the Lippert 360 siphon cap……hopefully we will finally be rid of that faint smell that I always though was from my wife. 😂😂
Attached Thumbnails
DXFfg2D-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   Qn99Q5C-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   NVvcMWP-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   4Xkwwck-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   vXL9Pk6-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

xp7XJXN-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   W5rVdrC-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post

I use Dicor products https://dicorproducts.com/product-ca...roof-products/
I have the tape and caulk

The air conditioner is a closed system, not taking air from the outside. That doesn't mean that can't be a problem with these units. A member had a vent line run through an air channel.
I would check the commonly named LA Vents, located under the sinks and the ceiling fans near the outside vents.
They make other outside vent adapters though I haven't used them.
Telling us what rig you have helps too.
We have a 2014 Jayco Seneca Super C. Thank you for the link for the sealing products. We want to purchase those before digging into the project. First, we are going to look at the roof vents for the sewer.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:45 PM   #16

Smell not gone

Smell is better but on a rougher interstate it came back!!! Next step is to try and replace the ASTVD vent. Can you please let me know where you purchased. I cannot find them on Amazon.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #17

You may want to check the toilet flange too. Fought faint odors on and off in our 01 "C" until the Service Center said to check the flange. Sure enough the threaded part had partially cracked. Changed it and no more odor..
Old 07-12-2023, 09:36 AM   #18

I have never had this problem. However, if I did and after checking the most common causes, I would likely install one of these on the rooftop. This style will create a slight vacuum on the vent system as you drive down the road, or perhaps even in the wind while parked. ~CA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SKZTW85...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 07-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You may want to check the toilet flange too. Fought faint odors on and off in our 01 "C" until the Service Center said to check the flange. Sure enough the threaded part had partially cracked. Changed it and no more odor..
We will check that for sure. I was on my hands and knees boing down the road doing the sniff test. LMAO, not but is kind of funny!!! It is stronger by the toilet. Cannot smell anything by the shower.

Tags
fridge, motion, smell