Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Seneca - supplemental brakes

Just curious what supplemental brake systems folks are using with the 2018 Seneca? SMI Air Force One?
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

I have a 2014 TS but the weight and power is the same as newer units, excluding a brand new S2RV chassis Seneca.

I use a Roadmaster Even Brake unit that I have had for years now. It is a proportional-braking unit and has a MH dash-mounted display. I have it set up to use in either of my toad vehicles listed in my signature. I have been very happy with how it has performed.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Why extra braking?

I am looking to tow a vehicle behind my Seneca and am looking at maybe my silverado 2500hd diesel. Is it necessary to have a braking system? seems like the Seneca would have enough braking capability? Also what towbars are you guys using? advice on where to find info on them too?
brtnsnwbrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnsnwbrds10 View Post
I am looking to tow a vehicle behind my Seneca and am looking at maybe my silverado 2500hd diesel. Is it necessary to have a braking system? seems like the Seneca would have enough braking capability? Also what towbars are you guys using? advice on where to find info on them too?
My strong opinion - absolutely you need supplemental brakes. The heavier the towed vehicle, the more they are important. Seneca or not. And Motorhome Magazine just this month has an article about dingy vehicle braking systems, and they state that practically every state and province requires brakes on dingy vehicles or has some other requirement regarding stopping distances that likely requires brakes to meet. Additionally, supplemental brakes provide breakaway protection in the event of a major failure, hopefully lessening or preventing a total catastrophe and again, meeting the legal requirement for that function.

Most of the major towbar manufacturers have a heavy-duty towbar that would safely tow a diesel pickup. Probably need a 10,000 lb. rated setup.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Some towbar links:
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Aventa LX Tow Bar | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

http://www.demco-products.com/rv-tow.../excali-bar-ii
Old 11-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

Legally, yes in most states depending on toad weight. Technically, probably not. I noticed no difference in braking performance when towing our Wrangler with and without its SBS. The same could not be said when towing with our previous gas Class A with hydraulic brakes. The Seneca's air brakes are tremendous IMHO. But do I routinely use the SBS? Yes. And so should you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

Several years ago I was towing a Honda CR-V behind my 45ft Entegra. The coach by itself had great stopping power. One day, some guy made a sudden stop in front of me. I am convinced that if I hadn’t had supplemental brakes on the Honda, I would have rear ended the guy. The extra braking power of the Honda coupled with that of the Entegra saved my hide. So while your RV may seem to have plenty of braking power, sometimes you don’t appreciate the extra braking power of a supplementary system until you are making an emergency stop.
Aventa LX II towbar
2 fur babies
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

Trailers

I have been towing trailers since I learned how to drive and it's impressive how even the smallest trailer, because it's on its own, can impact even a large tow vehicle.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Absolutely
I left my dingy break-bypass on one day and it is surprising how you can feel the car push in a normal stop. I could not imagine what would happen in and emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote