Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Seneca suspension air dump

Got air dump system installed yesterday. Bigfoot controls on 2014 by steps (not dash so not concerned with dump while traveling) switch installed there. Drops rear at hitch 4 inches. Also spent an hour under rig with wire ties replacing broken ones and finding wires a didn't like how secured or hanging.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

Very nice! Where did you get that dump switch?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Very nice! Where did you get that dump switch?
Found it at used rv parts in Quartzsite Az. Isn't specific to dump. Think it was maybe a window switch, momentary DPDT and only used 1/4 of terminals.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Looks good this system sure makes leveling easier and stresses coach body less
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Is the air dump system isolated from the braking system? I'm just concerned with compromising safety any time you mod the compressed air system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Is the air dump system isolated from the braking system? I'm just concerned with compromising safety any time you mod the compressed air system.
I plan on installing my system just as depicted in Dananu's picture by placing a tee in the air line between the leveling valves and the air spring itself. So to answer your question, it will not be any more isolated than it is stock from Freightliner passing through the two leveling valves to the springs themselves. Yes there are a few more connections, but air brake-rated fittings and line are pretty reliable.

I am going to use dump solenoids that have adjustable dump flow valves to prevent the suspension from emptying too quickly. I suppose in the event of a solenoid failure (sticking open) the compressor might be able to keep up enough to keep the parking brake from applying.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

"I am going to use dump solenoids that have adjustable dump flow valves to prevent the suspension from emptying too quickly. I suppose in the event of a solenoid failure (sticking open) the compressor might be able to keep up enough to keep the parking brake from applying. "

On mine I have put a ball valve between the air bag and solenoid just in case there may be a valve failure (air leak) so I can go underneath close the ball valve so the system can maintain air pressure to make it home and repair. My exhaust valve's are set at 50% which drops it down quite nicely.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #9

I didn't use ball valves, but opted to just carry a coupling that can replace the T in case of a failure.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #10

Abe padgett 2017 hj

Can I install a dump valve on the tank that supply’s air to both airbags ?
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post
I believe the issue with that approach is that air would still be "trapped" between the actual leveling valves and the airbags. I fear it would not immediately empty the bags. But if you went through the raising/lowering procedure the bags would then empty and not refill.

Just my guess based on the idea that air won't empty backwards through the leveling valves themselves.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe padgett View Post
I thought of that, but don't know if the actual leveling valves will still hold air In the suspension. You could manually drain tank to test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I believe the issue with that approach is that air would still be "trapped" between the actual leveling valves and the airbags. I fear it would not immediately empty the bags. But if you went through the raising/lowering procedure the bags would then empty and not refill.

Just my guess based on the idea that air won't empty backwards through the leveling valves themselves.
You are correct... the leveling valves fight a simple air down like a class A.

Even with the raising and lowering the jacks the leveling valves will reinflate the bags. This occurs until the tank air is depleted.

I’m planning on putting a T between each bag and the leveling valves. Both T will join and route to a ball valve. Then I can dump from the bags. the leveling valves will try to air up the bags as they dump so in turn I will have to continue dumping until the tank is also depeted.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I’m planning on putting a T between each bag and the leveling valves. Both T will join and route to a ball valve. Then I can dump from the bags. the leveling valves will try to air up the bags as they dump so in turn I will have to continue dumping until the tank is also depeted.-
If I understand your intent you plan to tie the two airbag lines together with a single valve to dump the air. I believe it was discussed earlier about tying the lines together, the concern raised is creating a situation where the roll stability of the chassis is compromised since air will exchange between the two springs while driving. Each side has its own leveling valve so it can adjust that particular airbag, and the manufacturer-installed air dump systems I have seen keep the two sides separate. Another owner may have installed a single valve system, not sure what his driving feedback revealed.

If you are planning on installing two ball valves, one in each line, you eliminate the issue I was describing. Sorry if I misunderstood.