Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Seneca sway bar

I just had my front sway bar bushings replaced because it was recommend by a freightliner dealer. I may be looking at the wrong thing or maybe a seneca doesn't have a front sway bar. Do they have a sway bar in back? I'm asking if one of you could send me a picture of what I should be looking at.

Thanks
2017 37rb
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
I just had my front sway bar bushings replaced because it was recommend by a freightliner dealer. I may be looking at the wrong thing or maybe a seneca doesn't have a front sway bar. Do they have a sway bar in back? I'm asking if one of you could send me a picture of what I should be looking at.

Thanks
2017 37rb
The M2 chassis do have a front sway bar but no rear bar from the factory. The original sway bar link bushings are prone to failure. Here are pictures of mine replaced with better polyurethane bushings. Also a picture of a worn-out original bushing.
Attached Thumbnails
New Energy Suspension bushing installed.jpg   Old sway bar end link bushings.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

I was looking at the wrong bushings, thanks for the pictures. I did ask for poly bushings but i'm seeing black rubber and only on one side and was charged 429.00 for that. does it really take several hours to change one bushing?

Thanks again
Old 12-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
I was looking at the wrong bushings, thanks for the pictures. I did ask for poly bushings but i'm seeing black rubber and only on one side and was charged 429.00 for that. does it really take several hours to change one bushing?

Thanks again

There exist black colored polyurethane bushings.
IMO several hours to change a sway bar bushing is a definite rip. There are two bolts.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks again
As stated there are black polyurethane bushings, but for that price just doing one side is ridiculous.

I did have to replace one of my links itself, the nut on top was so frozen it stripped the threads on the link. $100.00 later I had a new one from Freightliner. Combined removal and replacement time was less than an hour with me laying on my back. No pit or truck lift to help! Did the invoice have a price for one (or two) links in addition to the bushings themselves? Then it might be realistic.

There is a "new" design sway bar system; accelerated wear of these bushings has been a know problem on the M2 chassis pre-dating Jayco use of them for Senecas. Out of warranty the parts alone are over $1k, some owners of newer Senecas had the upgrade done under warranty. It uses a different attachment method for the ends more befitting a heavy truck. My bushings are less than $10, I can change a lot of them rather than pay for the new design!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

I'm looking at my invoice for the sway bar.

Labor $437.50
bushings polyurethane $6.37 x 2
freight charge $23.00

Looking at the rest of my bill they charged me $87.50 to put on valve stem extenders.

Didn't even get a kiss!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #7

Same here -

Our roads in Louisiana are the worst. Just did this again on mine. Red bushings from Amazon...about $8.00. I use a small jack to lift the bar a bit to help replace the bolts. Took less that hour as well for both sides.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6212.jpg   IMG_6213.jpg  
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm looking at my invoice for the sway bar.

Labor $437.50
bushings polyurethane $6.37 x 2
freight charge $23.00

Looking at the rest of my bill they charged me $87.50 to put on valve stem extenders.

Didn't even get a kiss!
I'm going to say $437.50/hr is slightly above the book shop rate.

And $23 freight? For what? Did they walk to the next town to get the bushings?

Ya, I would be questioning that invoice for sure...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #9

I am going from memory here... we are not close to the house where the invoices are stored... but I remember in our first year, we took into the Freightliner dealership and they fixed ours on warranty (yea a 2015) as there was a service bulletin written up for it.

From what little I remember.. new part numbers were different from the old, and they took a couple of days to get the parts. I took the Seneca back after they had the new parts and they popped it in in 15 minutes.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #10

The Service Bulletin (see attached) converts our bayonet type sway bar connections to a clevis type connection.

My originals are still OK (28k miles). Tried to get the Freightliner place to change under warranty but they refused because they were OK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Bulletin Sway Bar-Rubber Bushings (1).pdf (65.2 KB, 76 views)
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #11

i just checked mine today they still look alright at 20k
Old 01-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #12

I think that’s WAY over priced! 20 min tops, 30 if he’s smoking while he’s doing it!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

Reminds of when I was going to have the Mercedes dealer change out my spark plugs on the 3ltr V6. They wanted $680.00! Did it myself for $65.00 worth of plugs, some anti-seize, and a couple of beers.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #14

Sway bar bushings

Replaced my front bushings 2yrs ago, went to Freightliner dealer near where I live and got the bushings for 23.00 and change, took my unit in to garage, only took 45min to complete job and was charged only 120.00, done, and on my way to Florida.To get parts to up grade from Bayonet to the clevis was just over 1100.00 plus labor.
H.Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
The Service Bulletin (see attached) converts our bayonet type sway bar connections to a clevis type connection.

My originals are still OK (28k miles). Tried to get the Freightliner place to change under warranty but they refused because they were OK.
After replacing the original bayonet bushings four times had Freightliner install this service bulletin to clevis type connection for $2,300. Yes, I could of replaced the bushings after every trip for the money, but no more bushing issues and greatly reduced sway on the road.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #16

Reading these post makes me appreciate the ability to do my own work. I've had 4 motorhones over almost 25 years. Had my share of things to fix, including taking the transmission out of a class C on side of road on I85 in Atlanta and replace front seal. Cost me about $50. for seal and fluid. If I had not been pulling a racecar trailer with tools and jack couldn't have done it. It scares me to think of getting caught out and have to pay these prices I see.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #17

I visited our Seneca today to inspect for another sway bar campaign, D19M4 dealing with the Detroit Axle.

Fortunately I had found this thread and inspected per TSB 32-47. I found 3 deteriorated bushings. One is to the point of breaking apart. Additionally the washers are concave.

Our coach has approximately 18K miles.

Call in to the last local Freightliner dealer. Hoping that this is a warranty item! 🤞
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #18

Just had my rig in for PM service and my sway bar was loose. Bushings worn at 12,300 miles. Freightliner Dealer charged me 1 hour labor and parts were less than $30 bucks for both sides. It was funny when they showed me as I had read this post last week. I had mine in at Berman Freightliner in Leesport, PA about an hour from house for first time and they were awesome to work with. They have a dedicated RV guy and did my service while I waited.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #19

Received word today that Freightliner is going to warranty cover TSB 32-47. She’s in the shop getting the upgraded!
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Received word today that Freightliner is going to warranty cover TSB 32-47. She’s in the shop getting the upgraded!
Unfortunately mine lasted too long to get covered, despite this being identified as a known issue before my unit was even built!