Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Seneca tail light fuse location

I lost all the left side tail lights - turn, brake, and light. I've found 3 fuse boxes under the hood but none of these are for tail lights. The Freightliner M2 106 manual says the tail light fuses are usually mounted in a box aft of the cab on the left rail. Crawled underneath front to back and found nothing. Anyone know they are located?

Thanks in advance.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Mine are right behind the driver's seat inside the cab under a Jayco-added carpet cover. Motor the driver's seat all the way forward. One screw removes the carpet cover and then things are exposed. You will find fuses and relays that feed the rear lights.

Be careful poking around, there are exposed 12-volt hot connections. Short something out and could be disastrous!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

Rob, thanks. I found them and all the fuses are OK. Everything is out on the left side only - brake light, turn signal, driving light. Only things left are relays and wiring. Note that all left lights on Jeep don't work when hooked up either...work OK otherwise.

Will make some help calls in AM and then call a pro.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

Sounds to me like you lost the ground wire connection to that lamp assembly.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Rob, thanks. I found them and all the fuses are OK. Everything is out on the left side only - brake light, turn signal, driving light. Only things left are relays and wiring. Note that all left lights on Jeep don't work when hooked up either...work OK otherwise.

Will make some help calls in AM and then call a pro.

Thanks again.
If various relays there have same part # perhaps try switching them around and see if problem "moves".
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

Bill/Rob, I called Jayco and they were going to send out 2 light assemblies as a solution. Since I am electrically challenged I called a local shop in Silver City for help to test to see if there is power and if the ground is OK. I've crawled under the chassis to see if there was any obvious chaffing but none visible.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

It was a fuse. Guy from the garage pulled each fuse in box, I only pulled the ones labeled left. It appears the fuse list is upside down. Close enough 9n RV manufacturing. Lesson learned...check each fuse no matter how its labeled.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

Fuse in box behind/under driver's seat?

Now the question is "why did it blow"? Usually something precipitates a circuit oveloading, although "weak" fuses are not unheard of. Now that you know where it is I would recommend keeping a spare. If the same one goes again further troubleshooting is indicated.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Rob, a bit of back story and resolution. The trouble started when the plug on the baseplate pulled loose. As it turned out, that event damaged the 6-pin connector on the cord. A small screw had dislodged internally and shorted the lights out. Bad installation by an authorized Blue Ox installer, Discount Hitch in Arlington TX...don't go there. I had the connector on the Jeep fixed, then discovered that the Seneca lights didn't work. Mislabeled fuse box fooled me but not the techs. With both ends fixed I decided to attach the cable to make sure everything worked. That's when they found that the cable had been damaged. Everything back in working order for a while.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:21 AM   #10

Makes total sense now. Glad you found an identifiable cause that was able to be resolved without too much fuss!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

More valuable information found by reading this Forum. Thank you for postings
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Tail Light Problem

Today I went looking to find the reason my tail lights failed on the 2013 Jayco Seneca. Brake lights: good. Turn: good. Removed tail lights and attached to 12v supply. All good with tail and brake. Back in the RV, failed.

So, I searched this forum...first time doing that. Anyway, there were no posts that identified the problem, so I ran my own diagnostic procedure.

I've seen several posts regarding tail light problems. There are fuses and relays under a piece of plywood, stapled to carpet, under the driver's seat. (This is really lame and dangerous. Today I coated all my HUGE 12v leads (which were exposed) with sprayed rubber. If you drop a screwdriver or a fork and they touch those exposed leads, you're going to immediately have all battery power to ground...which = FIRE. Crazy enough. Hopefully someone at Jayco spends a couple dollars to make that thing safe.

Anyway, posts said that lots of folks found a bad fuse under the seat. Mine were all good. Therefore, I had to dig deeper.

Turns out there's a fuse under the hood, driver side in a box on the fender well. There's a fuse labeled "Bulkhead." This was cooked, so I replaced and tail light came back to life. Not sure why it burned, so I'm going to investigate, but for now thought I'd give that small piece of data for anyone looking for a failed tail light problem.

Cheers,
Ray
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #13

2019 rear light fuse box location.

I was plugging in my trailer lights on my 2019 Seneca. When I went to check the lights, the taillights and brake lights worked but no rear turn signals on the trailer or MH (front turn signals worked on the MH). I unplugged the trailer and checked again still no turn signals. I checked every fuse in the 3 fuse boxes under the hood. None of them were marked turn signals but I took each one out and checked them and they were all good. Still no turn signals. I read on this post that it was under the carpet under the drivers seat. My unit has rubber mats instead of carpet and there is no sign of a fuse box. I went under the truck on the drivers side seat and could see any wires coming from this area. I looked under all the cab and could not find signs of a fusebix. I called Jayco they couldn't help me they said to call Freightliner. Called freightliner and he could not pull up my VIN. His comment is take to a dealer it's under warranty. Closest dealer is 45 minutes away and I would like to fix it my self rather than spending a day at the dealer. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
fuse box seneca.jpg   fuse box seneca 2.jpg  
marknmarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknmarti View Post
I was plugging in my trailer lights on my 2019 Seneca. When I went to check the lights, the taillights and brake lights worked but no rear turn signals on the trailer or MH (front turn signals worked on the MH). I unplugged the trailer and checked again still no turn signals. I checked every fuse in the 3 fuse boxes under the hood. None of them were marked turn signals but I took each one out and checked them and they were all good. Still no turn signals. I read on this post that it was under the carpet under the drivers seat. My unit has rubber mats instead of carpet and there is no sign of a fuse box. I went under the truck on the drivers side seat and could see any wires coming from this area. I looked under all the cab and could not find signs of a fusebix. I called Jayco they couldn't help me they said to call Freightliner. Called freightliner and he could not pull up my VIN. His comment is take to a dealer it's under warranty. Closest dealer is 45 minutes away and I would like to fix it my self rather than spending a day at the dealer. Any suggestions?
Check in the battery compartment, up high and on the front wall of that compartment. S2RVs have their rear lighting module/fuses there, older M2 units it is under the driver's seat.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #15

Thank You I will check that later today and let you know what I find,
marknmarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Possible help:

There’s a recall on 12,038 Freightliner vehicle chassis from 2016-2020 related to brake lights. Also affected were marker lights, turn signal lights…intermittently. The net result was a circuit board subjected to extreme bending stresses during manufacturing and/or improper seating of the board. The fix is a replacement of the PDM (power distribution module) which Daimler Trucks North America will replace at no charge because it is a safety concern.

The NHTSA recall number is 20V-404. You can get it in PDF here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V404-8199.PDF

Can’t say whether yours fits that mold, but maybe worth looking into it, even if just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Good luck, please let us all know how it turns out.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Possible help:

There’s a recall on 12,038 Freightliner vehicle chassis from 2016-2020 related to brake lights. Also affected were marker lights, turn signal lights…intermittently. The net result was a circuit board subjected to extreme bending stresses during manufacturing and/or improper seating of the board. The fix is a replacement of the PDM (power distribution module) which Daimler Trucks North America will replace at no charge because it is a safety concern.

The NHTSA recall number is 20V-404. You can get it in PDF here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V404-8199.PDF

Can’t say whether yours fits that mold, but maybe worth looking into it, even if just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Good luck, please let us all know how it turns out.

Reading thorough it, it is for the "X" series chassis, it does not include the M2 or S2 chassis.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Reading thorough it, it is for the "X" series chassis, it does not include the M2 or S2 chassis.

Not going to doubt you on that point, sir. However, my experience is that when my F450 and my RAM 3500 have common components, like the Bosch CP4 fuel pump, both built in the same plant, often by the same guys, it can't hurt to take a little further look. I suspect it's possible that the Daimler folks have M2s and S2s being made by the same people, same plant, whatever. It's also possible that Freightliner buys the same PDM for the M2/S2 as the X series...not my area of expertise, so I can't say.

Our 2019 F450 SuperDuty Platinum caught fire and melted itself to the highway two weeks ago when the CP4 became a grenade. There was virtually nothing left of the truck. Turns out our Dodge has the exact same fuel pump...and that pump is in quite a few medium size diesel trucks, including some Freightliners, for that matter.

Any camper haulers using the newer (2016-2020) Dodge, Mercedes, Ford, or certain Freightliner heavy duty trucks...beware of the Bosch CP4 fuel pump. It is known to not tolerate American diesel fuel ("clean" 15ppm sulfur, oh my gosh the environment) due to insufficient lubricity and comes apart when metal rubs against metal. There's a huge class action suit already under way. Maybe someone that uses these forums might wish to redirect this note to someplace where others might see it. I'm pretty unfamiliar with forums...I just look up threads for our Seneca mostly, else I'd do it.

Cheers.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank You I will check that later today and let you know what I find,

This is what it should look like in the battery tray area. Sometimes they get painted over.
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Seneca fuse box 4 2.jpg   Batt Bay Fuse box.jpg  

Old 05-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
I suspect it's possible that the Daimler folks have M2s and S2s being made by the same people, same plant, whatever. It's also possible that Freightliner buys the same PDM for the M2/S2 as the X series...not my area of expertise, so I can't say.

This is from the recall report ...

"On certain FCCC XB and XC chassis’, during manufacturing of the rear mounted Power Distribution Module (PDM), which is a PDM unique to these chassis, the internal circuit board may be inadvertently subject to bending stresses which may, after a period of vehicle use, lead to intermittent open circuits, in which the rear marker, brake lights or left turn signal lights may not function"