Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Seneca tire pressure

I own a 2015 Seneca 36FK running Michelin 275/80R22.5 XZE2's. I've owned it about 4-1/2 years and we've put about 19,000 miles on the unit. Based on the selling dealers recommendation I've always run 105 psi in the tires.

Although I've read posts on this forum and elsewhere about getting the unit weighed to determine the appropriate tire pressure I never got around to it. On a recent trip to Montana a truck tire dealer suggested that 100 psi was their standard recommendation for a 110psi rated tire like the XZE2. At any rate, today I finally hit the scales...front axle 8400 lbs and drive axle 14060 lbs.

As prescribed on this site and elsewhere I went to the Michelin truck tire pressure chart to find that 70lbs was the recommended pressure for my load. My first thought was that I was reading the chart wrong. So I called my local Michelin dealer...he said they recommend 100psi for that tire despite the chart.

At 100 psi the tires have shown little to no wear BUT my Seneca rides like a truck (not surprising since it is a TRUCK!). Though I'm used to the ride by this point I wonder if it wouldn't be nice to experience something more mannered.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
bmeaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Of course we had the KODIAK version (08), but I used the chart +5 and it made a tremendous difference in the ride and handling and the tires wore just fine. Personally I would rely more on the chart (printed and written by the Engineers at Michelin) over a local dealer. Just my opinion.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

I take my Seneca in for service once per year. I change the oil and oil filter every year and check all fluid levels. I have them pump all tires up to 110 psi. I check tire pressure periodically throughout the year and they are always between 100-110. I’m not looking foe a good ride, good tires are my goal.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

I too can ride at 70 psi however I have not weighed the unit side to side so I am learry of dropping the pressure that far. I do run at 85 psi and feel the comfort level is much better then at 110. If I ever get the individual weights I might drop it further but until I do I am comfortable were we are.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

I have weighed mine several times, all 4 corners, and have mine set at 90psi based on the Michelin chart as that is based on the heaviest I have been when packing the most. The ride is much better than at 100-105 and feel there is no adverse affects on the tires.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Like Rustynuts, I also have run my tires for several years at 90 psi. Mine still look great and the ride is noticeably more compliant than when I had them at 110 psi. And the tires never run "hot" at 90 psi per my TPMS.

I know I will "time out" my tires long before I wear them out; so while I might sacrifice a bit of tread I'll trade that for the better ride and handling.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I know I will "time out" my tires long before I wear them out; so while I might sacrifice a bit of tread I'll trade that for the better ride and handling.
You are only one year ahead of us... and we have 5 years on our tires...

The 7 year rule is coming upon us fast.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I too can ride at 70 psi however I have not weighed the unit side to side so I am learry of dropping the pressure that far. I do run at 85 psi and feel the comfort level is much better then at 110. If I ever get the individual weights I might drop it further but until I do I am comfortable were we are.
I run 80 front and 95 rear. Have done 27k miles on these tires and the ride is comfortable and the tire wear seems normal. 110 psi beat us to death!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You are only one year ahead of us... and we have 5 years on our tires...

The 7 year rule is coming upon us fast.
Had the Seneca in for an alignment check recently and the owner said I can expect 80k miles on these tires and go 8 years unless I see signs of deterioration (ie. sidewall cracking).
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Like Rustynuts, I also have run my tires for several years at 90 psi. Mine still look great and the ride is noticeably more compliant than when I had them at 110 psi. And the tires never run "hot" at 90 psi per my TPMS.

"Timing Out" my tires is kinda on my mind. We are doing a long Canadian Maritime trip this next Summer and having over 70K on my tires already, I want to replace them before the trip.

The tires were built in mid 2014, though they look great, having a blowout in far northeast Canada, seems like it cold cost a fortune and with me having a mismatch tire or some more damage, plus ruining the trip.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
"Timing Out" my tires is kinda on my mind.
Have them inspected by a reputable dealer. Michelin lists that in their info as one thing to do once you hit 5 yrs and replace, no matter what the condition after 10. When we had our 08 SENECA I didn't have to replace them until they were 7 yrs old and started side wall cracks. If you belong to FMCA they have an outstanding tire program with great pricing. MICHELIN(w/Goodrich) HANKOOK and CONTINENTAL

https://www.fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts

MICHELIN INFO:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...e_RV_Tires.pdf

There is a lot more info on line:

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/refe...and-bulletins/
Old 10-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

But Grumpy I live in Akron, Goodyear has their U.S. and World headquarters here!

In all seriousness I love my Michelins, but I will look hard at the Goodyear offerings when I need to replace. My next-door neighbor is a Goodyear engineer and can get me the "Employee" pricing. We shall see!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
My next-door neighbor is a Goodyear engineer and can get me the "Employee" pricing.
That works too!..........
Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #14

Thanks to everybody

I really appreciate the input from everybody! Although running at 100 or 105 might otherwise extend my tire life I suspect that we'll never put enough miles on tires to justify the bruising. For me 90 psi sounds like a good compromise. I'm looking forward to my new "ride!"

PS--I'm hopefully that the softer ride will help alleviate another issue, window valences being shook/jolted off the walls...others have posted about that!! I resorted to "molly bolts", nuts, and bolts. If it comes down now the wall comes with it!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #15
CAG

They put the recommended tire pressure on the tire for a reason. Run it at that. Under inflation will cause outer wear and over will cause inner. These units have no differential so if you have two axles you will have unusual wear from turns. Rotate them.

And a softer ride by under inflation means a hotter running tire. BLOWOUT!

Don't keep tires on your RV over 4 years. Especially if you live where I do, in Arizona or sunny climates. Tires become dry rotted and blow out.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #16

Tire pressure

CAG, if I'm not mistaken, all tires have an indicated maximum recommended tire pressure imprinted on the tire. It does not mean the tire must be inflated to that pressure but only that it should not be inflated (cold) above that pressure. At noted elsewhere, Michelin has provided a series of detailed tire pressure charts for their truck tires that list the recommended tire pressures for each tire based on the axle weight, differentiating between single or dual axles.

I never received a recommendation from Jayco concerning a suggested tire pressure. The recommendation came from the salesman who sold us the unit. Basically I'm taking Michelin's recommended pressure at my axles weights and adding 20 psi. I doubt that could be considered "underinflated."

All that said, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #17

Here is the Michelin RV tire guide which has the pressure charts in them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf michelin pressure guide.pdf (1.72 MB, 48 views)

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #18

I just had my 2019 Seneca weighed at the FMCA Rally in Tucson. Based on my vehicle's weight; RT Front 3900, LT Front 4400 total: 8300, leaving me 1700 under the GAWR. RT Rear 8300, Left Rear 9150, total 17450, leaving 1550 under the GAWR.

The left side is 1350 over the right side. So I need to rearrange somethings. Based on the weight as noted above, Michelin recommended psi is 80 front and 85 in the rear.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
CAG

Quote:
CAG, if I'm not mistaken, all tires have an indicated maximum recommended tire pressure imprinted on the tire. It does not mean the tire must be inflated to that pressure but only that it should not be inflated (cold) above that pressure.
You are correct and as additional information there is a plaque on the vehicle, both truck and RV that gives the recommended tire pressure.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #20

With my made spreadsheet , I come to Front 81 psi, Rear 73 psi. Then I calc with an extra safe formula, and furst add 10% reserve, and then still comfort and gripp are acceptable.
F 86 R 76 probably still acceptable gripp and comfort, for that I lowered the maxload for higher speed. SO 100 must be driving like an old army truck.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote