Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #1

Seneca tire pressures

I own a 2015 Seneca and was wondering what tire pressures others are running? Towing vs non-towing. Or does it really matter?
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Towing or not doesn't matter, but axle weight does. Get it weighed and adjust the tire pressures accordingly, it makes a tremendous difference in how it rides. When we had our 08 SENECA I was able to reduce the front by 10 lbs and the rear by 5 lbs and it did make for a smoother ride.

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

I don't know what model of Seneca you have nor how much the axle weights vary in each. On my 36FK I'm running 85 lbs front and rear. As I get it more situated with junk, I will reweigh to see if I should adjust. If you're looking for a starting point try maybe 95 lbs until you weigh. That should help your ride a bit…better than the 110 lbs that it probably has now.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

95lbs is noticeably smoother ride than the 110lbs max.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

I recently installed a TPMS on our Seneca. Just for information purposes, with an ambient temperature of about 85 degrees and starting pressure of 95psi, I found that the tire pressure rose almost exactly 10psi within an hour and seemed to stabilize there. It's probably safe to extrapolate that if you started with a tire pressure of 110psi cold, the tires would quickly be around 120psi at running temperature...
Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

Not sure on these tires but on my Racecar starting with a lower cold pressure the additional flex of the sidewall causes a more rapid and higher pressure gain. You have the TPMS so put them at 110 max and see what happens.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

It is expected that tire pressures will rise during use, even more the hotter the external environment. This is factored into the design of the tires, so (provided you have not exceeded the tire's maximum load) don't worry about the pressure going higher or feel you have to "adjust" the pressure because it went up. Recommended tire pressures are always stated "COLD" (i.e. not driven on for several hours at least) because there are too many variations in load and temperature to figure out how to adjust them hot.

Before anyone gets too deep into ambient temperature variations, it also is a good idea for someone travelling from an extremely cold environment to a very hot environment to re-check and adjust their pressure (again "cold") once they transition. Likewise adjust going the other way.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote