Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Seneca Transmission Questions?

Hello all,first post here and we currently looking for a previously enjoyed Seneca.

I have searched and read about everything I can find on the Alison 2500 transmissions and have a question on the mechanical shifter that the 2500 uses.

What I have read is Jayco only had the O/D switch factory installed up to the 2016 units. In the 2017/18 units had no O/D switch and Jayco had the units supplied from Freightliner with the transmissions in economy mode for shifting.
I have read that a O/D switch can be added and that the Alison 2500 can be reprogrammed to be in performance mode for shifting.
So here is my question has anybody ever looked into whether the electronic shifter as the Alison 3000 uses be installed to replace the mechanical shifter?
This way one could shift all six gears up and down as well as mode shift from economy to performance at will.
Interested whether any one has any insight on my thoughts?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruceter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #2

There is a thread in this forum regarding the re-programming of the Allison Transmission to set it for the performance shift program instead of the factory supplied economy mode. I stumbled in it searching for “ 2016 Seneca”

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #3

I had my 2018 reprogrammed from economy to performance mode and it made a huge difference in the shifting. My 2018 is still on the M2 chassis so I have the Allison 2500 transmission. I am not aware that you can install the electronic shifter or O/D button on this transmission. I would check with Allison and Freightliner directly. It would be nice to have the capability of choosing 4th 5th and 6th gears for hills.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

To answer your questions:

- Yes you can have an Allison Dealer reprogram your TCM so that primary mode is performance mode

- You could potentially add a switch to a GPI on the TCM. You'd need to work with your Allison Dealer to see if they could be willing to configure it for you. This way you could switch between performance and economy if you wanted.

- Yes you can add an electronic shift selector. However, it will not operate as you describe. The 3000 series does not have a mechanical shift selector so the TCM controls the ranges and the up/down buttons work through the shift selector to the TCM. On the 2000 series there is a mechanical shift selector. The only way to go to an electronic shift selector is to go aftermarket with an Aren's setup. This puts an electronic actuator on the mechanical shift selector. The ONLY thing you gain here is the ability to lose the shift cable. It can do no more than you can do with the mechanical lever.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.H View Post
To answer your questions:

- Yes you can have an Allison Dealer reprogram your TCM so that primary mode is performance mode

- You could potentially add a switch to a GPI on the TCM. You'd need to work with your Allison Dealer to see if they could be willing to configure it for you. This way you could switch between performance and economy if you wanted.

- Yes you can add an electronic shift selector. However, it will not operate as you describe. The 3000 series does not have a mechanical shift selector so the TCM controls the ranges and the up/down buttons work through the shift selector to the TCM. On the 2000 series there is a mechanical shift selector. The only way to go to an electronic shift selector is to go aftermarket with an Aren's setup.

This puts an electronic actuator on the mechanical shift selector. The ONLY thing you gain here is the ability to lose the shift cable. It can do no more than you can do with the mechanical lever.

Good luck.
Thank you very much with the information you have provided. Definitely would not be worth the cost just to loose the shift cable. However I have since noticed that the smaller DP class “A” that use the Allison 2500mh transmission use a electronic shifter as well, so are they in the same boat as to have only lost the shift cable?
I think at this time for me it would be best to reprogram to performance mode and add the O/D lock out switch.
Again thanks for the insight

Bruce
Bruceter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
I think at this time for me it would be best to reprogram to performance mode and add the O/D lock out switch.

Bruce
I think that this is a good choice... it would put your Seneca in the same configuration as the earlier models (like our 2015) with the OD lockout switch.

There seems to be an unofficial consensus from those who have the switch installed stock - that the Seneca has plenty of power with the two modes.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
Thank you very much with the information you have provided. Definitely would not be worth the cost just to loose the shift cable. However I have since noticed that the smaller DP class “A” that use the Allison 2500mh transmission use a electronic shifter as well, so are they in the same boat as to have only lost the shift cable?

Bruce
This is correct.

All 1000/2000 series transmissions are mechanically shifted.

All 3000 series transmissions are electronically shifted.

Any electronically shifted 1000/2000 series is using an aftermarket actuator.