Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Seneca transmission : Which "MODE" is your mode?

We picked up our 2019 37RB in April in Phoenix and since then have put about 5000 miles on it mostly in the mountains of the west. Empirical data shows that while on flat highways driving with the "MODE" off we get about 10 mpg while towing our Colorado pickup. But, once we get into the hills and mountains my mpg falls to below 6.

Step in the MODE switch. Now our data shows we can maintain 10 mpg in the mountains and it pushes 12 mpg on the freeways.

Needless to say we drive with the mode selected all the time now. I hate the slow bogged down transmission of the non mode mode. I fully intend to tweak the transmission and engine computers once we are out of the warranty window.

Anyone else see numbers like this?

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
SFM

We are not even close to that mileage. 2019 TS with a Ford Explorer loaded on an aluminum trailer. Just under 7,000 lbs gross for trailer and auto. We are at about 6.8 mpg running Nevada, Arizona and Idaho. I must add that we have run the generator most of the miles due to running both a/c units to keep the riders in the back comfy. 113 degrees today on the way home. We may have to wait until winter to get a true mpg number.
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #3

Do you drive with the MODE selected?

The mileage you have looks identical to what we got without MODE selected.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

I’m thinking of buying a 2019 Seneca 37TS. I have read on this forum that some Seneca owners of 2018.5 models had fuel tank filler hoses that got pinched by fresh water tanks and it was difficult to fill the fuel tank. Have any of you with 2019 model year Senecas experienced any refueling problems?
Thanks.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
SFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender on the road View Post
Do you drive with the MODE selected?

The mileage you have looks identical to what we got without MODE selected.
I have not been using the mode selected for the normal flat to some hills driving. I have used the mode selected for some of the more steeper pulls. I will give it a try in MODE all the time. We have a 5,000 mile trip starting 8/16. Towing the trailer. Over I-70 in Colorado to Minnesota then Green Bay, Down to Texas and Back to Nevada. Should be plenty of various conditions to see how she does.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
SFM

I have a 2019 and no fuel filling or supply problems. Plenty of other problems but that is not one of them.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #7

What mode switch?

What are you talking about? I don't know what the MODE switch is or WHERE it is. I read nothing in the Freightliner manual about a transmission mode switch.
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #8

I’m thinking of buying a 2019 Seneca 37TS. I have read on this forum that some Seneca owners of 2018.5 models had fuel tank filler hoses that got pinched by fresh water tanks and it was difficult to fill the fuel tank. Have any of you with 2019 model year Senecas experienced any refueling problems?

Nope, no issues at all.

SFM, yeah, let us know how the mileage changes running mode all the time.

What are you talking about? I don't know what the MODE switch is or WHERE it is. I read nothing in the Freightliner manual about a transmission mode switch.

Okay on our 2019s we have the Allison transmission with the push button controls. One of the control buttons says "MODE"

What it does is shift out of the awful normal shifting pattern to one that runs the RPMs up a bit higher (more torque and speed) before shifting. The standard mode going up a hill and slowing down will shift from gear 5 to 6 and slow down further, as an example.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

What mode switch?

Mine is a 2014 with a shifter handle. My old 2003 Beaver had the pushbutton Allison but did not have a mode switch,.
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
SFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
If you have a 2018 1/2 or newer you should have the M3000 trans with push button shift selector. The mode selector is on the key pad. You can read about it the the Allison Transmission manual.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
SFM

I don’t believe your unit has the MODE selection option. You have a different transmission than the S2RV chassis currently used on newer Seneca units.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

We are at 15k miles now and I only run with "Mode" on, it is a slug without it. I average 8-10 mpg towing or not towing, when we do tow it is usually a trailer loaded to 9500lbs. As soon as I start up, I put the trans in D and hit the mode button every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
Thanks.

I believe it has only been on early 2018.5 builds like mine. I am the one that posted up what I found and the fix that I made. It really wasnt getting pinched by any plumbing or water tank is was Jayco trying to make a 12° transition from the filler tube to the tank tube with a straight piece of hose causing it to kink the hose.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #13

That is exactly what we do, Rustynuts. Drive, then mode before rolling a foot forward.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #14

You can tweak the Cummins engine and Reprogram the Allison transmission from economy mode to performance mode and still stay with in warranty. The Cummins engine upgrade will cost you around $800 but will remain in warranty. Has made a big difference with my 2016 Seneca towing up steeper grade hills. Without a tow, I am passing cars running up hill.
ripples2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #15

Hmmm good to know. I will check into that once we return to Phoenix.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks.

We purchased a 2019 Seneca 37K, which has a filler on the drivers side with a central 100 gal tank. No problem filling.
TerrenceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks.
In January I purchased a preowned 2019 Seneca 37TS that has the fuel tank filler about 5feet off the ground on the drivers side of the unit near the rear wheels. I have had zero issues filling the tank, and it is my understanding that this was done to center the fuel tank and make the vehicle more stable.
kickingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripples2ya View Post
You can tweak the Cummins engine and Reprogram the Allison transmission from economy mode to performance mode and still stay with in warranty. The Cummins engine upgrade will cost you around $800 but will remain in warranty. Has made a big difference with my 2016 Seneca towing up steeper grade hills. Without a tow, I am passing cars running up hill.
I was unaware of this, and I also have not changed the mode when driving my 2019 Seneca 37TS. Is this a mod that Cummins makes, or is it from an aftermarket programmer? I noticed you have a 2016, is it available for the 2019s?
kickingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #19

I also learned to drive with the mode button selected at all times on 2019. It's a turd otherwise. Don't really understand the logic of the default mode. I would also be interested in learning more about the performance upgrade.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #20

I also always drive in mode. Am also interested in a performance upgrade. Anyone done on a 2018.5 or newer?
loki805 is offline   Reply With Quote