Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #1

Seneca water heater

I have a 2017 37rb with the Girard water heater still in it. My question is how do you get to the back side of the water heater. Do you pull it out for access.
I can't see any access panels under or behind it.

Thanks

whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
I have a 2017 37rb with the Girard water heater still in it. My question is how do you get to the back side of the water heater. Do you pull it out for access.
I can't see any access panels under or behind it.

Thanks
Yes, you pull it out from the outside after removing the perimeter flange screws. You may have to dislodge the propane hose from the foam sealant in the rear of the compartment (from underneath the rig) where the propane line enters that compartment so you have slack in the line to pull the heater out. My water lines had enough built-in slack to pull the heater out enough to disconnect them.

You may also have to slip a plastic putty knife under the flange to help break the seal of the butyl tape caulk. Be careful not to mess up your paint!

Just curious - Why are you pulling the Girard?

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

I'm really trying to understand how things work. My problem is private campgrounds which most are lack the water pressure to maintain hot water. Most pressure switches on wells come on at 40 psi and off at 60 psi. In the morning when several people are showering at the same time my heater cuts on and off as the pressure falls below the required 45 psi. I now use my water pump and fresh water tank to shower, it's just a pain to have to go outside to make the change.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
I'm really trying to understand how things work. My problem is private campgrounds which most are lack the water pressure to maintain hot water. Most pressure switches on wells come on at 40 psi and off at 60 psi. In the morning when several people are showering at the same time my heater cuts on and off as the pressure falls below the required 45 psi. I now use my water pump and fresh water tank to shower, it's just a pain to have to go outside to make the change.
I had that same issue with my first-generation Girard, as well as other issues where it just would not stay lit. My dealer tried several times to repair/adjust it to no avail. It got to the point I just replaced it myself with a 10-gallon Atwood XT tank unit. Very happy with my hot water now.

You (should) have a later generation Girard than I did, but I know they are still very "sensitive" about water flow. That is what is so nice about a tank unit, you can trickle the flow and not get cold spikes because the burner shut down to prevent scalding. I hear the Truma units are better in that respect, especially if it is upgraded to the "Comfort" model. But neither the Truma nor the Girard allow one to heat water with electricity, but my Atwood does!

I see the 2019 Senecas have an Atwood gas/electric like mine (now). Not sure if they went back due to complaints or cost.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote