Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Seneca - What tire pressure do you run?

I am looking to adjust tire pressure properly and hopefully obtain smoothest ride possible.

Took my Seneca to truck stop CAT scale to weigh. Results were:
4220 FrontLeft + 4180 FrontRight = 8400 Front Axle Total
7380 RearLeft + 7020 RearRight = 14,400 Rear Axle Total

Front axle is pretty even. Probably my driver weight and no pax weight being the only difference. The difference on rear axle I would think is due to the generator location right behind the RearLeft tire.

Total weight when completed at the Factory shows 20,700 according to sticker in driver door.

I am not seeing anything (sticker, decals, etc) that addresses recommended tire pressure from Jayco or Freightliner.

It currently has 100psi front and 95 rear.

So I pulled the Michelin RV Tire guide from Michelins website (probably most credible of all involved). According to my weights above I should run 70 psi for all tires.

Seems low. Anybody else gone through this same exercise? Results?
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Had that with our 08 SENECA. Followed MICHELIN's pressure, it road and handled like a dream.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Had that with our 08 SENECA. Followed MICHELIN's pressure, it road and handled like a dream.
I have a new to my '08 Seneca 35GS;
You ran 70 psi in all six tires even with a Jayco door sticker stating 95 psi in all six tires?
I'm currently at 85 psi in all six tires.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

Be careful about comparing Kodiak chassis Senecas numbers to the newer Freightliner models, different size tires. Even the first Freightliner Senecas had smaller tires than the later version's 22.5" tires.

Michelin has a website that gives you load-to-pressure recommendations, since you have base weights you are one step ahead of most!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
I have a new to my '08 Seneca 35GS;
You ran 70 psi in all six tires even with a Jayco door sticker stating 95 psi in all six tires?
I'm currently at 85 psi in all six tires.
NO! Had it weighed as OP said and followed MICHELINS recommended pressures and not the 95 on the door. Which for our's was 85 front 90 rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Be careful about comparing Kodiak chassis Senecas numbers to the newer Freightliner models, different size tires. Even the first Freightliner Senecas had smaller tires than the later version's 22.5" tires.

Michelin has a website that gives you load-to-pressure recommendations, since you have base weights you are one step ahead of most!
Not comparing followed the tire pressure chart based on weight as OP said.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

I installed a TPMS earlier and am just now getting around to setting the warning pressures and I'm confused also. Using the weights I found published for a 2013 Seneca with fuel and water:
Front: 8,200lbs
Rear: 13,000lbs

and the Michelin RV Tire chart
Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires

For the XZE2 275/80R22.5 tires

It looks like it is saying 70psi is recommended for all the way up to 9,000lbs front and 18,360 rear. Can that be right? The sticker on the door says 110psi which might explain some of the rigid ride. I guess they just put 110psi on the door to be safe in case you are massively overloaded?

I'm going to let some air out and see what it does to the ride.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
I installed a TPMS earlier and am just now getting around to setting the warning pressures and I'm confused also. Using the weights I found published for a 2013 Seneca with fuel and water:
Front: 8,200lbs
Rear: 13,000lbs
You can't just use those weights, go to a CAT scale with the rig loaded the way you normally travel then check the charts. It will greatly improve your ride.

And yes they always inflate to the max since the majority of owners don't weigh their units.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure