Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Seneca - What's Your Solar Setup?

Looking to get into solar to support more adventurous outings. I have found a useful Seneca-specific You Tube video from Kurt Kuhl of The Kuhl Odyssey (welcome to this forum, Kurt!). Looking for your insights, thanks. .
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

I went with the Go Power! 30 amp controller and love it. Has USB plug which, boost feature to top battery when needed and lots of display options.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Good video...

Probably the difference between how he went about it and how I would have done it, are not that drastic.

- Instead of setting them up for angling toward the sun, I would have gone with panels with more output 200 or 260watt panels and not have to worry about crawling up on the roof. The difference between 160Watt panels and 260 watt panels would easily make up for the lack of tilt. MORE POWER.... LESS WORK

- I would have then staggered the mounting of the panels on each side of the RV, away form the items that will cause a shadow. I saw a few opportunities there.

- Go with a 60 Amp MPPT controller, with smart phone, tablet... monitoring. I am spoiled where this comes in.

It is a good setup and his setup works well for him and that is ALL that matters.

He also has a few other good videos!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

Just curious what kind of output you all are getting off your panels? Is there a particular reason you're not using residential panels where you can get 300+ watts off one panel?
I have 5kw on my home and have been considering ordering 2 extra panels for my seneca to get 640w and was just curious if the rv-style had any inherent advantages. I've seen my solarworlds take golf ball sized hail without so much a dent, so toughness is of little doubt in my mind.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Looking to get into solar to support more adventurous outings. I have found a useful Seneca-specific You Tube video from Kurt Kuhl of The Kuhl Odyssey (welcome to this forum, Kurt!). Looking for your insights, thanks. .

My setup have been in place for over two years now and it has performed flawlessly. Plenty of power for my need, and I do not really worry about using power while boondocking, just business as usual. I watch tv, work on my MacBook, use appliances like my toaster and always have plenty of power. I rarely go below 80% charge and normally am back to 100% by 11am. I just pay attention to where I park to make sure I get optimal solar. The video covers what my system entails, highlights are 680watts of solar, a Victron MPPT charge controller and 600amp hours of Lifeline AGM batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fulltime RVer
KuhlmanaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuhlmanaZ View Post
My setup have been in place for over two years now and it has performed flawlessly. Plenty of power for my need, and I do not really worry about using power while boondocking, just business as usual. I watch tv, work on my MacBook, use appliances like my toaster and always have plenty of power. I rarely go below 80% charge and normally am back to 100% by 11am. I just pay attention to where I park to make sure I get optimal solar. The video covers what my system entails, highlights are 680watts of solar, a Victron MPPT charge controller and 600amp hours of Lifeline AGM batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum!!!

We look forward to hearing a lot about your adventures... and SOLAR

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #7

Any tips on finding someone to do an RV solar design-build? I've trolled the internet looking for that expertise in the southeast and not having much luck.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Any tips on finding someone to do an RV solar design-build? I've trolled the internet looking for that expertise in the southeast and not having much luck.
You looking for someone to come in and do the whole thing? Spec out what you need and do the install?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
You looking for someone to come in and do the whole thing? Spec out what you need and do the install?
First option is what I'm looking for (I want it done right). I could do some of the installation myself depending on complexity.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #10

Solar

We had limited roof top space and chose 275 watt 60 cell industrial panels.Blue Sky MPPT 30 amp controller.
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

We had little experience with Solar other than are Harbor Freight portable panel.Its really pretty simple, several utubes on installations.Worse part for me was drilling the holes in the roof to mount panels!This is are second year love not having to worry about are batteries be charged.No issues.Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #12

I just finished installing 4 Renogy 100W Panels and Victron 100/50 controller-similar to the installation on the old unit. I'm making upwards of 180W in full sun and haven't had to plug in for about 3 weeks (since the panels went in). I expect a bit more "juice" when the summer sun comes back!
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote