Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Seneca wind noise

Has anyone solved the wind noise on a 2018 Seneca? The noise is so loud I can not drive more than an hour without getting a head ache. I tried adding extra weather stripping to a few windows but it didn't help. Any help please.
__________________

Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 503
I'm sorry to tell you, but it is a truck and you are driving it at relative high speeds.

Maybe headphones or ear plugs, but that comes with a disclaimer and a caution, that you may not hear what you need to hear. Earplugs, usually do not block all the noise and really may help.

I've driven big rigs all my life and turn the radio up. Military trucks are the worse.
__________________

__________________
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan Golding
Southern Illinois
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Robbbyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Akron
Posts: 1,339
Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Meredith View Post
Has anyone solved the wind noise on a 2018 Seneca? The noise is so loud I can not drive more than an hour without getting a head ache. I tried adding extra weather stripping to a few windows but it didn't help. Any help please.
The major contributor on newer Senecas is the upper rearview mirror bracket holes on the cab doors. It seems the wind passing over them can create significant noise. I solved mine by very carefully cutting out and applying black Gorilla duct tape over my brackets to cover the holes. It has lasted 2 years and still looks okay and works great. Others have filled the holes with silicone knowing they would have to dig it out if the mirrors ever needed to come off the doors. The key is to block off the holes. I also found black plastic plugs at Lowe's that block off the lower bracket holes. Cleaned up the appearance in my opinion, but I don't think they were the big noisemakers.

Another thing on the earlier Freightliner Senecas was the shifter cable vibrating. Freightliner has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that fixed that and I think newer (2015 and up) they fixed it in production. It was very annoying but it would only appear while cruising in overdrive. Downshift and it went away. After they fixed mine that problem went completely away. But if your noise in engine RPM-dependant it is possible it is the cable.

I vaguely remember one owner who had their windshield partially come out and that was noisy. Make sure your windshield is seated and even all around its perimeter.

Duct tape is cheap, give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
20170823_105420.jpg   20170823_105431.jpg  
__________________
Rob R.
Akron, OH
2014 Seneca 37TS
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Robbbyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Akron
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Meredith View Post
Has anyone solved the wind noise on a 2018 Seneca? The noise is so loud I can not drive more than an hour without getting a head ache. I tried adding extra weather stripping to a few windows but it didn't help. Any help please.
And by the way welcome! I see you have been a member for a time but this was your first post. Lots of information on this forum, use the search function and input "Seneca" and you will get pages and pages of posts. Many other areas also can be helpful since all Jaycos share certain components and attributes.

Back to the noise, I forgot to state that I could not carry on a normal conversation before my fixes, and while it still is a big truck as mentioned above, I can now converse with a front seat passenger comfortably. Not quiet like a Cadillac, but far better than the many years riding in fire trucks and ambulances that I did for my career!
__________________
Rob R.
Akron, OH
2014 Seneca 37TS
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The major contributor on newer Senecas is the upper rearview mirror bracket holes on the cab doors. It seems the wind passing over them can create significant noise. I solved mine by very carefully cutting out and applying black Gorilla duct tape over my brackets to cover the holes. It has lasted 2 years and still looks okay and works great. Others have filled the holes with silicone knowing they would have to dig it out if the mirrors ever needed to come off the doors. The key is to block off the holes. I also found black plastic plugs at Lowe's that block off the lower bracket holes. Cleaned up the appearance in my opinion, but I don't think they were the big noisemakers.

Another thing on the earlier Freightliner Senecas was the shifter cable vibrating. Freightliner has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that fixed that and I think newer (2015 and up) they fixed it in production. It was very annoying but it would only appear while cruising in overdrive. Downshift and it went away. After they fixed mine that problem went completely away. But if your noise in engine RPM-dependant it is possible it is the cable.

I vaguely remember one owner who had their windshield partially come out and that was noisy. Make sure your windshield is seated and even all around its perimeter.

Duct tape is cheap, give it a try.
What Rob said. Always what Rob says!! Ha!!

Welcome!!!
__________________
2018 Jayco Seneca 37TS
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara -Toad
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks for that information. I think you put me on track. I will do some work and post anything new I find.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 503
Robbbyr,

These black plastic plugs from Lowe's, do you put them in with some type of glue like Goop or do you get them to fit the holes exactly?

Sounds like another simple upgrade.
__________________
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan Golding
Southern Illinois
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Robbbyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Akron
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Robbbyr,

These black plastic plugs from Lowe's, do you put them in with some type of glue like Goop or do you get them to fit the holes exactly?

Sounds like another simple upgrade.
I found the exact size (luckily) and they are just pressed in.
__________________
Rob R.
Akron, OH
2014 Seneca 37TS
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25
After a lot of testing, and getting lots of what they call locking hole plugs in different sizes I found exactly what is needed to fix this issue. The upper holes take a 3/4" plug and the lower ones 9/16". The lower ones snap into place perfectly, the upper ones I added some clear caulking to keep them in and because of the odd angles in some places.

If anyone wants these plugs, I had to buy a bunch, so I can send a set of 8 - 9/16s and 6 - 3/4s. You can also find these on eBay if you want to buy them yourself. Just PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6139.jpg   IMG_6140.jpg   IMG_6141.jpg   IMG_6142.jpg  
__________________
David
2012 Embark TB390
dhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 503
Trying to do the private email through the site and it doesn't seem to work.

Anybody successful at getting this to work?
__________________

__________________
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan Golding
Southern Illinois
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.