Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Seneca wind noise

Has anyone solved the wind noise on a 2018 Seneca? The noise is so loud I can not drive more than an hour without getting a head ache. I tried adding extra weather stripping to a few windows but it didn't help. Any help please.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

I'm sorry to tell you, but it is a truck and you are driving it at relative high speeds.

Maybe headphones or ear plugs, but that comes with a disclaimer and a caution, that you may not hear what you need to hear. Earplugs, usually do not block all the noise and really may help.

I've driven big rigs all my life and turn the radio up. Military trucks are the worse.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Meredith View Post
Has anyone solved the wind noise on a 2018 Seneca? The noise is so loud I can not drive more than an hour without getting a head ache. I tried adding extra weather stripping to a few windows but it didn't help. Any help please.
The major contributor on newer Senecas is the upper rearview mirror bracket holes on the cab doors. It seems the wind passing over them can create significant noise. I solved mine by very carefully cutting out and applying black Gorilla duct tape over my brackets to cover the holes. It has lasted 2 years and still looks okay and works great. Others have filled the holes with silicone knowing they would have to dig it out if the mirrors ever needed to come off the doors. The key is to block off the holes. I also found black plastic plugs at Lowe's that block off the lower bracket holes. Cleaned up the appearance in my opinion, but I don't think they were the big noisemakers.

Another thing on the earlier Freightliner Senecas was the shifter cable vibrating. Freightliner has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that fixed that and I think newer (2015 and up) they fixed it in production. It was very annoying but it would only appear while cruising in overdrive. Downshift and it went away. After they fixed mine that problem went completely away. But if your noise in engine RPM-dependant it is possible it is the cable.

I vaguely remember one owner who had their windshield partially come out and that was noisy. Make sure your windshield is seated and even all around its perimeter.

Duct tape is cheap, give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
20170823_105420.jpg   20170823_105431.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Meredith View Post
And by the way welcome! I see you have been a member for a time but this was your first post. Lots of information on this forum, use the search function and input "Seneca" and you will get pages and pages of posts. Many other areas also can be helpful since all Jaycos share certain components and attributes.

Back to the noise, I forgot to state that I could not carry on a normal conversation before my fixes, and while it still is a big truck as mentioned above, I can now converse with a front seat passenger comfortably. Not quiet like a Cadillac, but far better than the many years riding in fire trucks and ambulances that I did for my career!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The major contributor on newer Senecas is the upper rearview mirror bracket holes on the cab doors. It seems the wind passing over them can create significant noise. I solved mine by very carefully cutting out and applying black Gorilla duct tape over my brackets to cover the holes. It has lasted 2 years and still looks okay and works great. Others have filled the holes with silicone knowing they would have to dig it out if the mirrors ever needed to come off the doors. The key is to block off the holes. I also found black plastic plugs at Lowe's that block off the lower bracket holes. Cleaned up the appearance in my opinion, but I don't think they were the big noisemakers.

Another thing on the earlier Freightliner Senecas was the shifter cable vibrating. Freightliner has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that fixed that and I think newer (2015 and up) they fixed it in production. It was very annoying but it would only appear while cruising in overdrive. Downshift and it went away. After they fixed mine that problem went completely away. But if your noise in engine RPM-dependant it is possible it is the cable.

I vaguely remember one owner who had their windshield partially come out and that was noisy. Make sure your windshield is seated and even all around its perimeter.

Duct tape is cheap, give it a try.
What Rob said. Always what Rob says!! Ha!!

Welcome!!!
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Thanks for that information. I think you put me on track. I will do some work and post anything new I find.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #7

Robbbyr,

These black plastic plugs from Lowe's, do you put them in with some type of glue like Goop or do you get them to fit the holes exactly?

Sounds like another simple upgrade.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Robbbyr,

These black plastic plugs from Lowe's, do you put them in with some type of glue like Goop or do you get them to fit the holes exactly?

Sounds like another simple upgrade.
I found the exact size (luckily) and they are just pressed in.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #9

After a lot of testing, and getting lots of what they call locking hole plugs in different sizes I found exactly what is needed to fix this issue. The upper holes take a 3/4" plug and the lower ones 9/16". The lower ones snap into place perfectly, the upper ones I added some clear caulking to keep them in and because of the odd angles in some places.

If anyone wants these plugs, I had to buy a bunch, so I can send a set of 8 - 9/16s and 6 - 3/4s. You can also find these on eBay if you want to buy them yourself. Just PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6139.jpg   IMG_6140.jpg   IMG_6141.jpg   IMG_6142.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #10

Trying to do the private email through the site and it doesn't seem to work.

Anybody successful at getting this to work?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 09-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #11

Did you put a subject in? It won't let you send without one.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

I had the same noise on my 02 Ford chassis. It took weather stripping between the front part of the door and the body to stop most of the noise. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #13

Hole plugs for Seneca mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post
After a lot of testing, and getting lots of what they call locking hole plugs in different sizes I found exactly what is needed to fix this issue. The upper holes take a 3/4" plug and the lower ones 9/16". The lower ones snap into place perfectly, the upper ones I added some clear caulking to keep them in and because of the odd angles in some places.

If anyone wants these plugs, I had to buy a bunch, so I can send a set of 8 - 9/16s and 6 - 3/4s. You can also find these on eBay if you want to buy them yourself. Just PM me.
I also found plugs at my local Ace Hardware. As you say, some don't seat perfectly because of curvature of the mount, but darn close. Hillman P/N 54177 and 54178. (Apologies, the upload turned pix sideways)
Attached Thumbnails
2018-03-08 16.23.12.jpg   2018-03-08 16.23.41.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #14

My 2018 is currently at a Freightliner dealer to re fit the doors to reduce wind noise.

This is a warranty repair so you should be covered.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #15

I had mine at freightliner for the same reason, they just move the noise to a different spot. It looks like the problem is how the seal is stretch around the curve on the top forward part of the door. If it was glued a little higher in the corner it would probably seal.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #16

tape up all the holes in mirrors with electrical tape and noise went away , now for the other wind noise from the left over masking paper and plastic over cab is another issue , working on that next , cant get it out as its taped on , so will be stuffing a 1/2 round foam strip in front of it all away around to block wind , hopefully this solves wind problem # 2
rmjr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

I have a question....do those mirrors fold in, like an auto breakaway side mirrors?
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:12 AM   #18

They look like they might , but i'm not for sure
rmjr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #19

Start with the door fit to insure seal compression. Warranty issue handled by Freightliner.

You can check seal compression easily by closing a strip of paper in the door opening and then closing the door. The amount of drag, or lack of it, will indicate seal contact. Try multiple points around the door.

In addition tape or plug all of the mirror holes. This combination resulted in a significant reduction of noise on my vehicle. No the mirrors do not fold if impacted. They are rigid after adjustment other than the power movement.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #20

Hi Glenn,

I'm new here as well and a three week owner of a 2018 Seneca. I agree with you that the high pitched wind noise is a pain in the #&@*. I did find that if I backed down to 65 mpg it was better. I'll try the tape/plug solution as well and let you know if it works. Have you had any issues with the Equalizer leveling system? Thanks Alex
adonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote