Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #11

To separate the cab from the coach of our Seneca my wife "re-purposed" the original rear bedspread. We did not really like it that much, but it came with the unit. We replaced it on the bed with one of the RV Superbags and we love it!

The original bedspread is fairly thick and does seem to isolate the two areas fairly well. We have used it in both hot and cold weather and are happy we did it. She even cut out ladder bracket holes and reinforced them like you would do a buttonhole.

So if you don't really like your bedspread consider a possible reuse......!
Attached Thumbnails
Repurposed bedspread.jpg   RVKingBClassicDec-13.jpg  

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Probably the coldest I have ever been while camping or rv'ing. Dropped to below 10 a couple of nights. I put a little heater in the water compartment and water heater compartment. One night I forgot to turn on the heater in the water heater compartment and the tankless heater froze, no lines burst but, no water flow. Tubing thawed and all is ok. It was very cold. I am thinking about changing to a hot water tank. Looking for a "kit" of some sort.

Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Jan View Post
Probably the coldest I have ever been while camping or rv'ing. Dropped to below 10 a couple of nights. I put a little heater in the water compartment and water heater compartment. One night I forgot to turn on the heater in the water heater compartment and the tankless heater froze, no lines burst but, no water flow. Tubing thawed and all is ok. It was very cold. I am thinking about changing to a hot water tank. Looking for a "kit" of some sort.
I am surprised your Girard froze, it is supposed to have a freeze-protection feature called the "Winter Use Device" installed where it will fire the burner to maintain the heat exchanger's temperature above 38 degrees F. The water heater has to be turned on (at the outside switch) and have propane available to work of course. I wonder if it was just the lines leading to/from the heater that froze and stopped the water flow?

I don't know of any "kit" to change out the water heater, I researched the issue thoroughly for my coach. I ended up just buying a new heater online and working through the installation myself for my Seneca. A 6-gallon Suburban water heater might fit in the Girard's original cutout, however it is deeper than the Girard. I wanted more HW capacity so I went with a 10-gallon Atwood XT which required a larger exterior cutout and other modifications to get it to fit. I also opted for a gas/electric unit so I also can now use campground electricity to heat my water, other than always burning my propane. I am very happy with how my installation went.
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood installed door open resized.jpg   Atwood installed door closed resized.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I am surprised your Girard froze, it is supposed to have a freeze-protection feature called the "Winter Use Device" installed where it will fire the burner to maintain the heat exchanger's temperature above 38 degrees F. The water heater has to be turned on (at the outside switch) and have propane available to work of course. I wonder if it was just the lines leading to/from the heater that froze and stopped the water flow?

I don't know of any "kit" to change out the water heater, I researched the issue thoroughly for my coach. I ended up just buying a new heater online and working through the installation myself for my Seneca. A 6-gallon Suburban water heater might fit in the Girard's original cutout, however it is deeper than the Girard. I wanted more HW capacity so I went with a 10-gallon Atwood XT which required a larger exterior cutout and other modifications to get it to fit. I also opted for a gas/electric unit so I also can now use campground electricity to heat my water, other than always burning my propane. I am very happy with how my installation went.
Rob,

Did you do the mod yourself? I am interested in the same mod if I can do it. I like to do things myself where possible.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

If you are still within Jayco's 2 year warranty you should contact them. Not being able to camp in cold weather might be sufficient for Jayco to replace??

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Jan View Post
Rob,

Did you do the mod yourself? I am interested in the same mod if I can do it. I like to do things myself where possible.
I did all the work myself with the exception of painting the new exterior door. I have another post describing the install here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...7ts-31841.html

I'm sorry I did not take more pictures, I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but I didn't think about it at the time. But if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can. Doing it via the forum might be best so others who might be interested can follow along.

I see you have a Seneca FS. If memory serves, your water heater is located in the same place as my TS. That is good news since you will be able to easily access the water heater compartment to cut an access hole in the compartment so that the plumbing can be connected to the rear of the new heater.

Let me know if I can help!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #17

Thank you. I may take you up on your offer to help via the forum.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:05 AM   #18

Beautiful

Great looking coach and beautiful pictures. Extremely envious....need to get mine out on the road up that way. Thanks for the info...good to know.

Oooo...46 today...a Louisiana freeze warning.....
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

One trick I did was to snake a extension cord through the hole in the top of the water compartment into the back side of the lower cabinet under the closet. I then ran it to the plug outlet where the back TV plugs in. I turn on my inverter and I run down the road with a small heater [ 200 watt] warming the pump and hoses.

Tags
seneca, texas, utah, winter camping, wyoming