Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Seneca Won't Start - 'BH33 No Trans Error'?

Last week I decided to start up the Seneca just because it had been setting for a while. Turned the key and got all of the normal startup lights but when I went to crank it over - nothing happened. Instead I get a BH33 No Trans on the display. I had the motorhome levelers down so I thought maybe it wouldn't start with them down for a safety reason so I raised them and still no start. Later on in the day I went back out to troubleshoot and it fired right up but I got a check engine light. The Scangauge gave me the error code but it was one that was not listed in any of the Freightliner docs that I could find (skipped right over that number) . It started and ran fine though so I put it off for another day.

Well today I needed to move the motorhome and, naturally, the same thing happened. "BH33 No Trans" and it will not start. Levelers are up so it is not that again.

I found a chart here that seems to indicate a BH33 fault is related to the cigar lighter?? That does not seem serious enough to cause a no-start.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Cl...18_sb54177.pdf

Any idea what this could be?
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #2

does it have a remote start
Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Bulkhead Module fault of some kind. Probably need to have Freightliner use ServiceLink to retrieve actual fault code causing the condition.

Our Freightliner-based Senecas use a multiplexed electrical system, when you turn the key you are sending a command to a module that then triggers an output to actually crank the starter. Most of our dash switches do the same to actuate whatever component they are linked to.

Makes it very difficult for us driveway mechanics to troubleshoot and repair. And obtaining ServiceLink is expensive, if not impossible, for an unaffiliated individual.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

Do you have something plugged into the cigar lighter that could be causing a problem?

"The cigar lighter provides 12 volt power (up to 15amps) to any device plugged into it. The Bulkhead Module (BHM) supplies power at this port regardless of the position of the ignition switch.
The BHM is capable of detecting short circuits in the cigar lighter wiring."

It could just be a intermittent connection at the Bulkhead Module (BHM). Remove all connectors from the BHM, check, clean, and reattach, confirming each connection it tight.
As mentioned these are complicated beasts with many systems that need to communicate the right information at the right time.

Here is the public Freightliner BHM service guide if you don't already have it; https://secure.freightliner.com/acce...a5412000wm.pdf

The code 33 is listed in the guide and there are also 15 references to the cigar lighter circuit which you would think is simple and irrelevant to engine operation but the guide says something a lot different.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Thank you all for the suggestions and the awesome link. Had not seen that before.

No remote start. Nothing plugged into cigar lighter (though it does work).

I am going to try wiggling all of the bulkhead connectors and then sounds like I will have to call Freightliner. I'm a pretty good troubleshooter but if it requires a laptop and proprietary software - I'm out.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Good luck, let us know how things turn out in case another Seneca owner encounters the same thing. This forum and the exchange of information it provides is invaluable.

My Seneca is at my local Freightliner dealer (Young Truck, Canton, OH) right now being investigated for what I think might be a bad downstream NOx Sensor. Had MIL on for most of drive last week coming back from Connecticut. ScanGauge had code which showed sensor trouble in aftertreatment system. Glad I am still in warranty!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Well... just picked up the Seneca from Freightliner.

The dealer:
- Pulled the error code which was 'abnormal transmission update rate'
- Cleared the error code
- Disconnected batteries & checked voltage. Voltage was good.
- Drove MH on a test drive for 118 miles??????
- Could not duplicate error
- Checked transmission connections and could not find a problem
- Suggest that 'owner might not be letting gauges sweep before starting' causing the no start condition. (???????)

Total Labor Bill $656.95

Are you serious!!!!

I asked them, since they could not find a problem, what happens if it does it again. He said labor was labor and there was nothing they could do about it. And a 118 mile test drive???? I think the only reason they stopped was they were almost out of fuel.

They would not let me leave until I payed. I'm debating my next move.

Is this bill even anywhere near the realm of reasonable?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

$700.00 And they didn't fix anything?!?!?

I'd call that "outrageous".

How close was warrantee end? Was the problem first reported under the warrantee widow?

How about reimbursing you for 118 miles worth of fuel?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

I'm not sure about warranty. I will have to see when it was purchased but I think it was originally sold in late 2013 which would make the warranty over?

I did just catch them in a little lie. According to the technicians written report he drove my MH to a neighboring town and back on two different days for test drives. That drive adds up to 118 miles... but there is only 35 more miles on the odometer. Hmmmm?
Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Many people think RV owners have more money.
One of the last and only times we were on the road and at the mercy of a diesel shop owner for repairs his response after we asked for a discount on labor was "I have to put food on the table". Well so do we. "My kids need sports uniforms." Well so do ours. Etc.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

Were you talking to the General Manager? If not, I would. If you were or get the same result then I'd go to a District Manager. Keep working your way up until someone with some common sense is reached.
Go to their Facebook page, tell your story and make an inquiry about getting some help or at least a partial refund.
https://www.facebook.com/freightliner/
See if that gets you some attention.

Good luck and keep us posted. I can't stand bonehead idiots that don't understand common sense customer service and business ethics.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #12

I cooled down, slept on it, and called the Freightliner dealer back this morning. I asked to talk to the service manager who ended up being the same guy I already talked to so I asked for the general manager. The guy said he would pass along the message and have him call me back. I thought riiiiiiight. I was not expecting a call back.

Anyway, he called right back and was actually a super nice guy. He listened to my point of view. He explained that this is just the way all Freightliner service worked and asked me what I thought would be a fair charge for diagnosing a problem.

I told him it was an interesting case because, while my MH was in his shop we had a customer pull up to my off-road shop that just experienced what he thought was 'death wobble' in his Jeep. We spent roughly 1.5 hours driving & testing components without being able to duplicate or find a problem. Sound familiar??

The total bill.... $0.00. Two days later the customer came back and bought a couple thousand dollars worth of upgrades. Would he have came back if I handed him a $115 bill for not finding the solution to his earlier problem? I doubt it very seriously. I would not have come back.

Anyway... the manager offer to deduct $400 from the bill which I was fine with. I'm still a little nervous that the problem was not found. My guess is that it was just a bad connection somewhere. There are only about 42,000 wires in that engine compartment.

Thank you all for the feedback & suggestions!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #13

Persistence pays......I mean saves in this case! Sure would have been nice had they handed you a burnt up part and said "Here was your problem".

I sincerely hope it was just a one-time glitch, I am absolutely certain you do too!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Sure would have been nice had they handed you a burnt up part and said "Here was your problem".
You're right! I hate to say it but I think I would have rather had a charred transmission module in my hand and a bill for $750 than an 'I don't know' and a bill for $250. Now, every time I'm in one of those spots where you think 'wow it would really suck to break down here' I'm going to think about this.

Oh well.. that's part of the fun of life. At the end of the day I'm still lucky to be able to even have a MH and take my family camping.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
At the end of the day I'm still lucky to be able to even have a MH and take my family camping.
Amen Brother!