Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

Sensor power

Hello, where is the propane / oxygen / Co sensor powered from on 2017 29MV ? This seems to have constant power . I would like to install a switch To minimize power drain.
Thanks Ted
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #2

In all our trailers we have owned the LP/CO sensor is hard wired into the 12 volt power. Not even sure there is a dedicated fuse. This is a safety thing that lawyers love. If someone factory built a shut off and you died as a result of forgetting to turn it one then, wamo, the lawsuits would blossom. Most people but a battery cutoff switch at or near the battery.

Some other things may also be constant on like self operating stairs, radio, etc. But the CO/LP will kill your battery by itself.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #3

My 2017 Greyhawk's sensor is constantly powered and only goes off when the battery disconnect switch disconnects the battery. It would be very easy to add a switch by just pulling it out and putting a switch inline with the positive power wire.

If you want to get creative you can install a wireless RF switch so nothing shows. I have put a couple of those on my rig. One is on my inverter so I can shut it off from bed when I am done watching TV. The height of laziness on my part.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
.... This is a safety thing that lawyers love. If someone factory built a shut off and you died as a result of forgetting to turn it one then, wamo, the lawsuits would blossom. ...
But worse than the lawsuits, YOU WOULD BE DEAD.

I have gotten beat up for taking this stance before, but I think we all need to think about the safety side of these ideas. Adding a cutout to defeat a safety system like a CO Monitor / LP monitor / smoke alarm while the unit is occupied can result in injury or death. Some of us have had friends who have been hurt or killed in a camper by CO poisoning, and these monitoring devices can help prevent that terrible loss.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #5

I agree that's it a bad idea to turn them off. I have seen a couple of horrendous accidents in my life due to safety devices being overridden. Maybe there's a way to limit the circuit or a better co2/gas detector. Worked at a small place once where there was a 12-unit Goss offset press. The folder on the back of it was loud and often jammed. Somebody took the cowling off and taped down the switch. I think you know the rest of the story. Came into work that day and they wouldn't let us into the pressroom. Took two hours to get the night shift guy out of the folder. He lived anyway, just not the same way after that.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
Hello, where is the propane / oxygen / Co sensor powered from on 2017 29MV ? This seems to have constant power . I would like to install a switch To minimize power drain.
Thanks Ted

Pop it off, snip a wire, add a switch.
And then put a HUGE SIGN on it, so the next owner of your RV doesn't die.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
Thanks Ted
As I recall when I disconnect my battery the CO/gas detector will chirp as it looses power about a minute after I disconnect the battery. I am sure it is connected to a 12V fuse. Pull them one at a time and wait a minute or so. might be quicker to pull them all, and install them one at a time and look for the green light.

X2, be careful disconnecting this life saving device.

If you are just at home and wanting to save some battery life, flip your disconnect switch. On some campers this and a few other items bypass the disconnect switch. If this is the case, just rewire the disconnect so they pass through through the disconnect. No lights, no CO/gas detector.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies and I do understand the safety aspect, I will put a coach manual battery disconnect under the hood . I feel the quality of these sensors goes down as they add more duties.

Thanks again Ted
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote