Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Setting up the for the Highway

Reaching out to those with the experience.

Having accomplished setting up for the TOAD, we went with Blue Ox Avanti tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot Brake, Blue Ox Face Plate, along with all Blue Ox accessories needed for the hook-up.

Now I need to address the way the coach drives on the highway at 65MPH.

I find that the coach seems to search a little too much, even when there is no wind. (no reason for the response I'm getting from the steering wheel). I will be approaching m y dealer about the issue. Perhaps an alignment is in order.

I'm thing about some sort of steering assistance. Blue Ox has a "True-Center" unit. Does anyone here have experience with this unit ....???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

A toad definitely tows different than a trailer. The four wheels on the ground spaced by the toad's wheel base with zero tounge weight takes some getting use to it.

A rear Trac or panhard bar will help immensely. Check out Henderson's Lineup for some bolt on solutions.

Enjoy, it will get better.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

If you didn't get it aligned originally, it definitely needs a front end alignment. Jayco will pay for it, so long as you haven't owned it too long.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

OK my statement may have led to a mis-understand,

Although the TOAD installation is complete, we have yet to tow our toad. I have almost 500 miles on the coach (no toad) and have found that the coach seems to search all the time, thus my statement above .... Any idea how to approach this issue....???
Old 04-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

As Jopopsy said, have your fully-loaded unit aligned.

I'd also make sure your tires are inflated to their maximum, drive it, and see if that makes a difference. If it still 'searches', lower the front tire pressures about 5psi. I know with my F350, 80psi in the rears and 75psi in the fronts makes a big difference in how straight it tracks and how relaxing driving it can be.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

X3 on the alignment, and get the additional suspension parts from Ford that are needed for these loads. Trust us, your driving will change dramatically. Now pavement and passing trucks are the primary reasons I get off center. I have 20,000miles on my rig since the alignment and it's a good drive.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

You need more front end caster to address the wandering issues. Typically the E350/E450 come off the assembly line set at +3.5 degrees which is OK for city driving. For an RV on the highway you want at least +5.5 degrees.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

65 Mile per hour is a bit much for me. Pulling a vehicle at that speed would scare me. Not the driving part but the stopping quickly part. 55 mph while pulling my Jeep is my max and I have no issues with stearing.
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
65 Mile per hour is a bit much for me. Pulling a vehicle at that speed would scare me. Not the driving part but the stopping quickly part. 55 mph while pulling my Jeep is my max and I have no issues with stearing.
I have always used an auxiliary braking system in my toads, and although I never did scientific measurements, I felt my rig stopped nearly as well towing a brake-equipped toad as it did without the toad. And these experiences cross 3 motorhomes; the two prior were Ford E-series cutaways and my current unit is a Seneca. I have used a Roadmaster EvenBrake system for years now, proper adjustment of the settings makes a big difference toad braking effectiveness.

I have always been comfortable maintaining the legal speed limit in my rigs, but one must try to leave plenty of following distance to account for longer stopping distance towing or not. Easy enough on open roads in light traffic, but when things get busy, inevitably other drivers cut in too close. I wish everyone on the road would recognize and respect the driving dynamics of our rigs be it a vehicle towing a trailer or a motorhome with a toad or not.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Re: Setting up the for the Highway

I had the same issue with steering wandering after purchasing my 2014 Greyhawk 31DS. The advice someone on the forum offered was that I may be looking down at the road too close to the front of the rig as I drive. I was told I should be watching the road 1/2 mile or more from the front of the rig. I have not made any modifications to correct the wandering. But it doesn't wander anymore.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #11

Well, The alignment on the '16 Grey Hawk 29MV completed, a 20 mile test drive completed, and the coach seems to drive straight a true. So much different from the drive to the alignment shop. I'm so pleased.

By the way the Alignment shop is a Helwig factory authorized repair shop. They seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Helwig suspension system, and stated that they did not feel as though the need for adjustment on the coach would in any way effect the way the coach steers.

The coach alignment was "WAY OFF" .....