Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Shopping for a new house battery.

Well, the house battery for my 2016 Greyhawk 29MV is toast.

It has been suggested that I look into the Optima Deep Cycle AGM as my next house battery.

Anyone here has experience with the Optima AGM Deep cycle battery. It's been said that Optima is made by Interstate batteries.

I priced an Optima D27M deep cycle AGM at $280. is that a true priced..???
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

I'm sure there folks on here than know batteries more than me, but I'll share my experience.

I think you're on the right track to choose an AGM battery. In my personal experience, it is nice to have a maintenance free battery that doesn't require you to constantly check the water levels. They make less of a corrosive mess of the battery tray and they are supposed to hold up better to vibration.

Looking at the specs, I believe the Optima D27M has a 20 hour capacity of 66Ah.

I would direct you to a group 31 AGM - something like a Deka Intimidator 8A31DTM or this Duracell (made by East Penn/Deka?) AGM:

From Batteries Plus
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../sli31dtmagmdc

or

Sam's Club
https://major-qa-mobilityapp.samsclu...requestid=9576

I offer these links only as an example. An online search will turn up many other buying options.

The Deka/Duracell are rated with a 20 hour capacity of 105AH. That's a good bit more capacity than you will see from the Optima. On a 12volt deep cycle battery, only half of this is usable capacity, so a higher AH rating is going to serve you better.

I have one of these that I've swapped around and used in several RVs over the years. It has been a reliable option for me. It fit in the stock battery tray of my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS without issue.

Batteries seem to be like tires and oil - everyone seems to have an opinion and brand preference. I worry less about the brand and more about the specs/warranty/availability.

-Doug
MontanaBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

I have a 2017 Redhawk and replaced the Harris battery in less than 6mo after purchasing the motorhome. There are a lot of batteries out there. The AGM is a super battery. I have been using AGM batteries on my boat where I have two of them for some 8 years, same batteries. I replaced the Harris with a MR96-60 AGM purchased from VMAX on line. Those on the boat are also VMAX AGM as well. They make very good batteries. The VMAX battery is made in China by one of the largest battery manufacturers in the world making batteries for most of the major manufacturers in the US and elsewhere under their respective names of course just like tires and virtually everything else these days. I can tell, bar none, VMAX is a super battery. The ones on the boat having been used for 8 years and this season will be 9 trolling for large mouth bass. I think I paid just over $200 for the MR96-60 but they make AGMs with as much power as you want or think you want. Amazon sells their batteries under the VMAX brand but you can find them directly from their site as well as others. Prior to getting a Jayco I towed a 5th Wheel trailer and used an AGM in the trailer which I used more more than 7 years purchased from Cabelas which is made by the VMAX
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:45 AM   #4

Wilson

I replaced all four of mine with 6 volt batteries from Costco.

Great carry-out service.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaBBQ View Post

I would direct you to a group 31 AGM - something like a Deka Intimidator 8A31DTM or this Duracell (made by East Penn/Deka?) AGM:

-Doug
That's the exact battery I installed last year in my 33RLDS. So far so good.

I also just replaced a 10 year old Optima from my Oldsmobile and it still reads good according to my Midtronics tester. Just didn't want take a chance after 10 years ! I am told that the current Optimas are not as well made, not sure if that's true or not. I replaced that with a standard Deka East Penn as the Olds is getting long in the tooth.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #6

Shopping for a new house battery

I have a 2016 29MV.
When replacing the original flooded cell lead-acid battery with an AGM, is there any setting change you have to make to the charger/inverter? Does it create any problems having the chassis charging a chassis lead-acid battery simultaneously with a house AGM battery?
I am a boater and it is a big no-no to mix flooded cell and AGM batteries.
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

I went through the brochures from my 29MV. the power control center is Progressive Dynamics PD4000 (in the installed box it's a PD4080) Charge Wizard.

The info did not mention the ability to adjust or change settings, nor did it mention different battery types for the power control center.

I did read somewhere that one should not mix batteries. THey should all be lead acid or all AGM in house batteries......etc
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
I did read somewhere that one should not mix batteries. THey should all be lead acid or all AGM in house batteries......etc
I think that's correct, you don't want to mix kinds, and ideally, you don't want to mix capacities or ages of your lead-acid batteries either.

The 6V golf-cart batteries seem to be the winners when it comes to cheap, durable and high amp-hour capacity. For a little more money, I'm sure the AGM batteries are also good, although I have no experience with them. I don't like the 12V flooded batteries because it seems like many of them are "hybrid" batteries, not true deep cycle batteries. I think virtually every brand of 6V golf cart battery is designed for deep discharge cycles and high amp-hour capacity.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
I think that's correct, you don't want to mix kinds, and ideally, you don't want to mix capacities or ages of your lead-acid batteries either.

The 6V golf-cart batteries seem to be the winners when it comes to cheap, durable and high amp-hour capacity. For a little more money, I'm sure the AGM batteries are also good, although I have no experience with them. I don't like the 12V flooded batteries because it seems like many of them are "hybrid" batteries, not true deep cycle batteries. I think virtually every brand of 6V golf cart battery is designed for deep discharge cycles and high amp-hour capacity.
6 volt golf cart batteries are a great choice for an RV - traditional flooded or modern AGM style. Unfortunately, late model Jayco Class C Greyhawk/Redhawk motorhomes do not have a battery tray that will hold two 6V batteries. Installation requires custom modifications.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaBBQ View Post
6 volt golf cart batteries are a great choice for an RV - traditional flooded or modern AGM style. Unfortunately, late model Jayco Class C Greyhawk/Redhawk motorhomes do not have a battery tray that will hold two 6V batteries. Installation requires custom modifications.
Sometimes I stumble over to this side of the forum without realizing it. I have no experience with these motorhomes. Feel free to disregard my advice when it's not applicable.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Sometimes I stumble over to this side of the forum without realizing it. I have no experience with these motorhomes. Feel free to disregard my advice when it's not applicable.
It's good advice!

I believe Jayco has truly handicapped the boondocking abilities of the newer Greyhawk/Redhawk motorhomes with a single wimpy 12V battery. In my mind the least expensive, easiest upgrade is to a single 12V group 31 in the stock tray. That's the route I went for the first 15 months we've owned our 2016 Greyhawk. I felt it was still a compromise and didn't provide the battery capacity I want, so I've recently gone to the time and expense to custom install a pair of 6V AGM batteries. I also added 480 watts of solar. I used a solar charge controller that has programmable charge voltage parameters and temperature compensation. Going forward the solar system will be my primary charging source.

I've used AGM house batteries in my last three RVs. The stock Progressive Dynamics power center has worked fine without incident. Also, I have never upgraded to an AGM engine battery. The alternator charge voltage while driving hasn't been a problem. I believe the only time the engine and house batteries are combined into a "mixed bank" is when the emergency jump start button on the dash is used. Honestly I have never had to use that button.

This DIY guide from AM Solar might provide some good info - scroll down to the Lead-Acid Batteries section:

https://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-ins...s/edbatteries/

I'm wondering if the situation is different on a boat when they have a battery selector switch (Perko) that has switch positions for Batt 1, Batt 2, and ALL. I suppose when the switch is in the ALL position it creates a "mixed bank" too. My boats don't have motors/batteries so I'm not sure of the best practices there.

-Doug