Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #1

Shopping for Seneca and have questions

Just joined forum to get answers on a few questions. Appreciate any help. We are looking at 2007, 2008 and 2013 years right now. Based on research (which could be wrong) it looks like the Seneca went to the Frieghtliner chassis in 2012. Do the older years have air brakes and suspension? Is the new chassis preferred? Is the Cummins engine that much better?
PaRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

The earlier GM-based Senecas did not have air brakes or rear air suspensions. The 2012 was the first year for a Freightliner chassis but it had smaller tires/wheels (19.5") than the 2013-up models and the 2012's have rear leaf springs like the older GM models. Freightliner's "Airliner" rear airbag suspension came sometime in 2013. 2012-2015 Freightliner Senecas came with 4-wheel hydraulic disc brakes (with ABS) boosted by the power steering system. The 2013-up models have 22.5" wheels/tires. 2016-up models have 4-wheel air drum brakes (also ABS) with automatic slack adjusters. 2012 and early 2013 had traditional "framed" windows, later 2013-up have frameless windows.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #3

You can go to Jayco's website and pull up specifications on all the different model year and floorplans of the Seneca.

You will find some swear by the earlier GM models, especially if they are pre-DEF engines. Many who have later Freightliner models love them for their increased GVWR and towing capacities. Some say the earlier GM models have some handling "quirks" and have spent lots of money to get it how they like. Very few owners complain about the handling and ride of the 2013's and up. It is a truck, so it won't ride like a Cadillac! Some add a steering stabilizer just for blowout protection.

I love my 2014!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
You will find some swear by the earlier GM models, especially if they are pre-DEF engines. !
Loved our 08 and none of the KODIAKS had DEF. The major market for the 1st Gen was out West since they were under 40' and would fit in State and National parks

You will find that that 2009-2010 are all built on 2008-2009 chassis since July 31 2009 was the last day they were made. JAYCO snatched up every chassis they could find in order to keep production going. I was fortunate enough ti be invited to JAYCO to be part of a discussion group, along with 10 other KODIAK owners (SENECA and ENDURA) We tried to talk them into adding not only air suspension, but also air brakes to no avail at that time. We all felt that it was, in part, due to the fact that they were building the EMBARK which was on the higher end chassis.

There were even discrepancies involving the rear springs with the 2006-10 KODIAKS. Some had 13,500, some 15,000 and some 19,000. JAYCO did upgrades on some after the sale.

My 08 came with the 19,000 and it was also one of the first with the upgraded inverter (1,800 watt) and 4 batteries in lieu of 2. That is something else that you will see that varies even in 08. Midway thru 07 the LMM DURAMAX was introduced with the 6 speed Allison, some of the early 07 have the LBZ and a 5 speed Allison which could be re-programmed to a 6 speed.

One weak spot in the KODIAKS was a batch of bad radiators. The lower driver's side tanks suffered from a bad crimp and were prone to leaks, so look for residual antifreeze stains.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

I appreciate all this information.
PaRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

Is there a reason you are not considering one on the S2RV chassis (2018.5 - present)?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

For what it's worth and a shameless plug on my own behalf, there's a good chance I will be selling my 2014 at the end of the year. Air suspension; no Air Service Brakes, just air parking brake.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

Just my 2 cents. I love the Freightliner M2 chassis and the Cummins engine. Yes its DEF, but it does not cost much to maintain that. These things are designed for high use and many hours, and being in an RV, you wont use it as much as the standard M2 commercial industry does. It is highly advised that you start it and run it once a month or so to keep things from sitting to long, but more than likely, the equipment will outlast the RV House. I would recommend going with a 2013+ so you get the larger wheels and tires. Having the extra towing capacity is huge for me. The Duramax motor is decent, but for me that motor was made for a light duty truck that could adapt into the medium duty Kodiak chassis. Cummins motors are made more specifically for the commercial world, and they used their commercial setup to adapt into a light duty truck (Dodge Ram). When not towing, I can get 10-12 MPG and towing is between 7-9. I dont think you would get that with the duramax.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
towing is between 7-9. I dont think you would get that with the duramax.
Tracked every gallon on a spreadsheet and was hauling a Silverado....8.08 mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
20200721_142004.jpg  
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Just my 2 cents. I love the Freightliner M2 chassis and the Cummins engine. Yes its DEF, but it does not cost much to maintain that. These things are designed for high use and many hours, and being in an RV, you wont use it as much as the standard M2 commercial industry does. It is highly advised that you start it and run it once a month or so to keep things from sitting to long, but more than likely, the equipment will outlast the RV House. I would recommend going with a 2013+ so you get the larger wheels and tires. Having the extra towing capacity is huge for me. The Duramax motor is decent, but for me that motor was made for a light duty truck that could adapt into the medium duty Kodiak chassis. Cummins motors are made more specifically for the commercial world, and they used their commercial setup to adapt into a light duty truck (Dodge Ram). When not towing, I can get 10-12 MPG and towing is between 7-9. I dont think you would get that with the duramax.
RyRoRyan - I concur!! and want to add a couple of additional observations that my fellow Kodiak owners are going thru right now.

They had a steer tire blow and ended up in the median of I-70 and sustained a bit of front end damage along with a bunch of front suspension damage. They never knew that there was a huge shortage of replacement parts for the Kodiak until now when they are really trying to get "real replacement parts" (not a replacement part that needs to be dug out of
a junkyard in Alabama). They are genuinely having a tough decision what to do, since the unit is still down waiting for parts. They temporarily bought another Motorhome (since they are full-timers) and are regretting the decision to have the prior rig repaired instead of taking the payment if totaled.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote