Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Should I be worried about installing these AGM Batteries in my GreyHawk?

I've been working on an upgrade for the Harris 27D170 battery that came with our 2019 GreyHawk 26Y. We plan on doing a lot of dry camping, and the Harris battery was not going to cut it. After a few weeks of research, I bought these two NPP NP6-200Ah AGM Deep Cycle batteries based on price and the group 27 size:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I'm concerned about a couple items I didn't realize before I bought them:

1) The instructions that come with the battery say "Charge the battery in a well-ventilated environment". I plan on installing one in the current battery compartment and the other in the compartment next to it with no ventilation. Is this a bad idea? I thought AGM batteries do not require ventilation?

2) The spec indicates that the 200 AHs is for the 10 hour rate. I had read that an indication of the 20 hour rate is preferred. Did I buy crappy batteries?

Here is the spec: http://www.nppower.com.cn/ueditor/ph...4690599387.pdf

Thanks in advance!
jasoev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

Quote:.. from the web.....

AGM Batteries. A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery), more commonly known as a sealed battery or maintenance free battery, is a type of lead-acid rechargeable battery. Due to their construction, they do not require ventilation, can be mounted in any orientation, and do not require constant maintenance.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

I mounted two in a similar fashioin (not your two, but AGM's in the "non-vented" cabinet in front of my battery compartment. 1.5 years and no issues. On the two batteries fully charged I get about 2 days/nights of use before my refer starts complaining of voltage. Odd, as that is about 12.3 volts. I have ran them as low as 11.7 volts and still barely managed to start my generator.

Don't know about the load you mentioned. I think mine are 235 AH batteries, but can't recall for sure
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

Thanks JD!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

I like the sound of your modification and would like more information about it!

I’m wanting to put two 6 Volt batteries in my 2017 Redhawk . Well they won’t fit in the original house battery location. WHERE DO I PUT THEM?

Wayne
Wayne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

It's a long story. I ended up going with two 12V Battleborn lithiums and I replaced the existing battery tray with one that would hold two batteries. My father-in-law was a huge help. I blogged about my experience and I have lots of pics. See:

https://www.evansoutdooradventures.com/?p=6091

and

https://www.evansoutdooradventures.com/?p=6288
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar
Blog: www.evansoutdooradventures.com/
Old 08-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoev View Post
It's a long story. I ended up going with two 12V Battleborn lithiums and I replaced the existing battery tray with one that would hold two batteries. My father-in-law was a huge help. I blogged about my experience and I have lots of pics. See:

https://www.evansoutdooradventures.com/?p=6091

and

https://www.evansoutdooradventures.com/?p=6288
I've looked at the Battleborn batteries last summer, but the cost of one battery was a little more then the trailer I had was worth. This summer I got a Jayco trailer and looked into getting several 6 volt batteries for it. I had forgot about the Battleborn batteries. one concern is the low ah's they have compared to the lead acid batteries, but in your write up I learned that the available charge is a lot more useful then the lead acid batteries. It would still be interesting to stop in and talk to the people at Battleborn batteries and ask some questions about them. Yes I actually mean stop in and talk to them since they're located in the same town I live in. I most likely won't be buying new batteries this summer, but they may be worth looking into. Your articles are a lot more informative on the batteries then their website is.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Quote:.. from the web.....

AGM Batteries. A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery), more commonly known as a sealed battery or maintenance free battery, is a type of lead-acid rechargeable battery. Due to their construction, they do not require ventilation, can be mounted in any orientation, and do not require constant maintenance.
Hi all-- I thought AGM batteries had a incorporated safety valve that can, and will open in a over charging situation expelling hydrogen sulfide gas. still requiring some sort of venting to the atmosphere?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #9

I run 4 group 31 AGM batteries in my boat, as previously mentioned they do not need to be in a vented compartment, they do not off gas. Also as previously mentioned, they may vent in an over-charge condition. Fact, use the correct battery charger with an AGM setting and you minimize and/or eliminate the over-charge risk. I have 2 on-board chargers for my boat batteries, they correctly charge those AGM's and I have never worried about an over-charge situation.....that being said, if they malfunction I guess it could happen, but hasn't in 10 years of ownership. I also like the fact that for winter storage they don't need to be removed, fully charged they go into unheated storage in October, come out in May and because AGM's have a much slower self-discharge rate (even slower in the cold) they still read 12.7v or better when I bring it home, I live up in Canada where winters are COLD!!!!

That leads me to a question...........since I have had great success and experience with the AGM's (North Star Pure Lead group 31's) in my boat compared to Lead Acid (minimal self discharge/quick recharge times/deeper depth of discharge ratings/non off gasing/better AH and capacity ratings) I want to install two in my RV, does anyone know if the inverter is able to charge AGM's properly, I can't find any information on it? Trailer is 2017 Jayflight.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

I can't speak to the technical aspects of the charger in my 2016 Greyhawk. I didn't even know to ask the question when I had my two 6V AGM's installed, but I am near the end of two years and have not seen any adverse effect. My panel has a battery charge screen. When I first begin charging when they are partly depleted, the voltage shows in the 14 plus range. After they are charged, it runs at 13.2 to 13.3 which seems about right. Not sure if that helps
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

Pretty good reading on why AGM'S should be vented here; https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/elect...-need-venting/
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #12

I converted over to two 6v setup the way you are inquiring about. I drilled a few 1/2" holes in the back of the storage compartment, as high as possible, to allow some venting....just in case. It's been the best dollar for dollar upgrade I've done.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #13

FWIW, the 10 hours 200 Ah doesn't sound right. Mine are 235 Ah at 20 hours.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
FWIW, the 10 hours 200 Ah doesn't sound right. Mine are 235 Ah at 20 hours.

What brand do you have?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, class c, dry camping, greyhawk 26y, power battery electric