Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Should We Trailer or Tow Dolly..?

Hello Everybody,
This is my first post. We have a 2016 Jayco 29MV. Picked it up two years ago from the big RV place in Albany, NY, and started "practicing" for retirement at the end of this year. We have experience pulling stuff from boats to trailers with both the RV and different pickups. I have pulled a sixteen foot enclosed trailer to Maine a couple of times (with this RV) that carried a motorcycle, kayaks, etc.

We hope to start snow-birding it in Florida or Arizona by this time next year, which brings me to the first of what may be plenty of posts. Should we use a trailer or a dolly to bring a second vehicle? I'm not a tow-bar fan mostly because I do not want to attach stuff to the towed car and the back-up issue.

So what's the opinion from those who have faced this? What's the upside and downside of a trailer? Compared to a dolly? I realize a dolly is way easier to stow at the destination but a trailer may allow a few more things to be brought along.

Our second vehicle would be a small Buick or a Mazda Miata. We're leaning toward the Miata because it's small, light, and just fun to drive with the top down. The Miata's top I mean...

The Jayco really surprised me when towing the trailer mentioned above. The gas mileage dropped off just a little (I thought it would be more) but I had to keep checking on the trailer to make sure I didn't lose it. The RV handled nearly exactly the same with or without the trailer and the handling is decent in my opinion. I could feel cross winds a little more but that's about it.

Thanks in advance for any tips provided..!
Dangerboy
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #2

One thing to consider with the dolly vs trailer is that you will need to get down on the ground to hook your wheel straps and safety chains while with the trailer the car sits higher making it easier to 4 way the car on the trailer. The trailer can be used for other duties where the dolly is a single purpose item.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Dollies don't usually require registration is most states. Of course registration and licensing for trailers in AZ is a one-time permanent plate issue.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer

I have a 2017 29 MV and drive a Miata which cannot be flat-towed. I had a flatbed hydraulic tilt bed trailer made to accommodate the Miata's low ground clearance. The big advantage of a trailer is that you can back up, which can't be done with a flat tow or dolly.

My Miata came with eye bolts that screw into the front and rear bumpers - makes securing the ratchet straps easy and fast.

I recently saw another class C haul a Miata on a flatbed but he used ramps which doubled as a gravel shield across the front.

Another advantage of a trailer is being able to haul more stuff (think tools). My big aluminum tool box at the front of my trailer serves as a gravel shield.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Dollies don't usually require registration is most states. Of course registration and licensing for trailers in AZ is a one-time permanent plate issue.

Annually for RVs, TT and 5er trailers - Grrrrr
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Team

I saw a mh towing a Chevy volt last month camped next to me in Fl. He had it backed onto the trailer. He also had a tool box on the tongue.
Wish I had thought to take a pic.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Annually for RVs, TT and 5er trailers - Grrrrr
And even funner than that is Maricopa county requires annual diesel engine opacity smog checks.
It was always fun to pull our previous 40' DP into their bays.

OFF TOPIC ALERT
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #8

Good tips RetiredLeo, WinnieView, and Leeinmt. Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the getting down for strapping with the dolly - I'm pretty nimble and can at 62 today, but who knows what the future holds. I like Leeinmt's route with the custom trailer but the cost may be on the high side. I will look for the eye bolt holes on my Miata. It's a 2019 model. DB
Dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote