Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Shoulder belts in the cabin?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has installed shoulder belts in the back? We recently bought our first RV, a new Greyhawk 31FS, and I am mulling over what kid (we have a 5yo, 3yo, and 1yo) is going to sit where and in what. I haven't yet looked closely enough at the retrofit kits or the rig to know if it's possible, but curious to know if anyone else has!

Thanks!
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Shoulder belts in the cabin?

I have been wondering how folks do it with little kids in MH's these days. I grew up camping in motorhomes and travelled all over the country as a youngster during summers with my grandparents...I can never recall ever being in a seat belt back then...I usually was co pilot to start the trip and then would always fall asleep and go back on one of the beds and such. Of course things are a lot different now than 30 years ago though...
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Yeah, it was the same for me as a kid...but it's a different world now, and practically speaking, I fear I'd never get them back in their seats if I let them out! My kids have flown quite a bit, so we're going to take an airplane approach that they understand. If you're seated, you're wearing your seat belt/car seat. If you must be up, unless it's urgent wait until the seat belt sign is off and your flight attendant has the cart out of the aisle (aka when we've pulled over!). ;-)
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

We have a 31FS. We have 2 newborn twins and one eight year old. There is no legal way to retrofit shoulder belts. You need to have anchor point which is anchored to steel. We put our 8 year old at the dining table and the twins facing backward at the dining table with the cushion removed. Keep in mind that in general motorhomes are very safe as are buses and semi trucks. I have a friend in law enforcement who does accident investigation. He uses the lug nut rule, the vehicle with the larger and more lug nuts wins. Your kids are safer in a motorhome than SUVs and especially sedans. I have a commercial driver's license and have driven buses. I drive defensively and allow a lot of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me and try to not make sudden moves. Also the yellow speed warning signs on curves I follow carefully. If it is wet I slow down even more. The key thing is to take your time and give your passengers a good ride. It is no fun to be tossed about in the cabin. We also follow the other poster's rule about seat belts for our 8 year old daughter if she needs to get up we give her permission depending on the road conditions and traffic.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

31FS here as well, 3 kids ages 4, 6 & 8. I grew up RV'ing in a 24 ft Mobile Traveler and riding in the bottom bunk bed or in the cab over looking out the front windows. So my theory on buckling the kids may be a bit old school. I see the buckling a lot like buckling in a airplane. It keeps you in your seat. Traveling 6+ hours buckled at the table or on the couch is a lot. On certain freeways and areas, I make them sit and buckle up. On less traveled roads and less congested roads, they are free to move about the cabin. They normally settle into the bottom bunk bed, the rear bed or the couch & table.. I dont let them ride in the cab over or the top bunk.

If an accident was to happen, I fear for us with or without seatbelts. I do my best to drive safely and with this in the back of my mind at all times.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote