Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Shower Odours

Good Day, I am new to this forum as we just made the move to our 2015 Greyhawk 29ME. We have been TT Campers for the last decade so this is a fairly significant change for us.

We have been out twice in the new rig. First on a nine day trip to Quebec and then a weekender to Kingston. On both trips we experienced bathroom odours. I did some sniffing around and I think the problem was water evaporation in our shower P-Trap. I was able to stop the odour by pouring a couple cups of water down the shower drain. In a decade of Rving we have never used the on board shower for a couple of reasons. One because it seems like an unnessasary source of moisture and two because the TT's had the standard hot water tank and we all like our loooong showers. We do have a tankless hot water heater now but still like using the campground facilities and will probably continue to utilize the shower as our laundry hamper.

So my question... Is there any negative in covering up the shower drain to prevent the evaporation? Or is there another method that might prevent the evaporation or odours from escaping the shower? One of the challenges is this shower has a flush mounted drain cover therefore no drain plug... I was thinking pulling it off and sealing with a bit of plastic wrap but that is a pseudo permanemt solution as we would haveto remove the drain cover if we did choose to actually use the shower.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Covering the drain should help, but won't stop the water from evaporating from the P-trap, as it is open on the other end to the waste water tank, which is vented. It will slow down the evaporation rate, but once it is evaporated, the odors will probably return.

if you want to try that, I suggest you use one of those large diameter flat drain covers/plugs - you know, the old "one size fits all drains" style. That way, you can easily remove it to add water to the trap should you notice odors again.

That said - I take showers in my TT anyway. I only have a 6-gallon heater, but the water is REALLY hot, so I don't need to use much to get a comfortably warm shower. Wish I had a tankless heater! But if you like to take looooong showers, then your waste water tank would be more of a constraint than HW capacity. I must say though, that's a really expensive laundry hamper!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

You can make filling the P-trap part of the pre-trip checklist. Run the tap to purge the lines of air and you'll have enough water in the trap for a month.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Because we boondock, the shower is used every trip.

I'm still in the process of breaking SWMBO of her 'long shower' habit. Unsuccessfully.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Scoutr2 is right it is an expensive laundry hamper... But I am yet to find a MH that does not have a shower in it

I think a combination of the two posts is what I need. I have put water in the line and it evaporates faily quickly... I suspect that is a result of my moisture paranoia, I keep the bathroom exhaust fan running when we are on board. So my plan at this point is to put in a fresh water supply into the drain at the start of each trip and then get one of those universal plugs as Scoutr2 suggested.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #6

I've heard it said here that if you keep the bathroom fan running all the time, you could well be pulling odors from the drain traps and also from the vent valve beneath your kitchen sink, unless you have windows open elsewhere. The fan creates a negative pressure, so if there are no windows or other roof vents open, that could be part of your problem.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

Do you winterize? Seems like a cup of the pink stuff down the shower drain should hold out until your next winterization cycle. I don't think it evaporates very fast.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Pink Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkptRvPilot View Post
Do you winterize? Seems like a cup of the pink stuff down the shower drain should hold out until your next winterization cycle. I don't think it evaporates very fast.
I had wondered about that possibility and was not sure how much the evaporation rate would differ from water??? Is it alcohol based? I am dipping way back to highschool science class here... but I think alcohol would evaporate faster then water
Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Pour a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil down the drain. It will float on top of the water in the trap and prevent any evaporation.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Bill Nye The Science Guy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Pour a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil down the drain. It will float on top of the water in the trap and prevent any evaporation.
That is the Genius idea of the day!!! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

You are welcome, Cousin Eddie!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
X2

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote