Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #1

Shower surround-Greyhawk 29 MVP

Hi All,

We have a new Class C.

Wondering if you all suggest this being fixed...

Our shower surround is attached all around the walls except for a few spots. When I push them they stick for a minute.

Should we get some kind of glue?

I just hate to think of dust, etc getting down there.

Thanks so much!
Chris
Old 02-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastonemtn View Post
Hi All,

We have a new Class C.

Wondering if you all suggest this being fixed...

Our shower surround is attached all around the walls except for a few spots. When I push them they stick for a minute.

Should we get some kind of glue?

I just hate to think of dust, etc getting down there.

Thanks so much!
Chris
They all are like that I believe. I have an MVP as well and it’s like that at the bottom. There should be some to allow for movement while driving and such. There is a lip behind the surround that should prevent water from getting behind it. One thing I have noticed is the fit and finish is not what you may expect in any motor home. In my auto business heaven forbid we sell one vehicle with the slightest flaw but motor homes are different for sure. Which is 100% ok with me, just takes getting used to.
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:12 AM   #3

I have the MVP as well. I just put some caulk in the gap. I didn't know anything about the gap being there on purpose so I just filled it in.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #4

Oh Sorry,

I wasn't clear the gaps are at the top of the surround.

Should they be glued?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
I have the MVP as well. I just put some caulk in the gap. I didn't know anything about the gap being there on purpose so I just filled it in.
If you're talking about the gap around the top and bottom of the surround that goes over the shower floor pan insert, you may want to "undo" that caulking.

The 2-piece shower setup is designed to be open at the top and bottom to allow for ventilation behind the surround. If you seal it up, condensation will get back there and stay back there and cause problems.

And I can tell you from experience that water does in fact get back there sometimes. In my TT I had the dealership seal up the top and bottom. There was a little construction debris down in there that got wet and the dye bled out of a small gap in the sealant. I promptly removed the sealant so the water could escape as designed into the shower pan.

Really the only places you should need to seal in the shower area may be around the door (sometimes they don't do a good job sealing the corners, and water can escape onto the floor instead of into the shower door channel and then back into the shower pan), and maybe around the pop rivets that hold the shower surround into the wall. I've never sealed those, but they look like a likely point of weakness.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #6

Thank you so much!

I'm sooo glad I asked. I was just going to tell my husband to seal it up!

What you said makes perfect sense!

Chris
Old 02-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If you're talking about the gap around the top and bottom of the surround that goes over the shower floor pan insert, you may want to "undo" that caulking.

The 2-piece shower setup is designed to be open at the top and bottom to allow for ventilation behind the surround. If you seal it up, condensation will get back there and stay back there and cause problems.

And I can tell you from experience that water does in fact get back there sometimes. In my TT I had the dealership seal up the top and bottom. There was a little construction debris down in there that got wet and the dye bled out of a small gap in the sealant. I promptly removed the sealant so the water could escape as designed into the shower pan.

Really the only places you should need to seal in the shower area may be around the door (sometimes they don't do a good job sealing the corners, and water can escape onto the floor instead of into the shower door channel and then back into the shower pan), and maybe around the pop rivets that hold the shower surround into the wall. I've never sealed those, but they look like a likely point of weakness.
Just curious, what is your source of information on the fact that there should be a gap at the bottom and at the top of the shower?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Just curious, what is your source of information on the fact that there should be a gap at the bottom and at the top of the shower?
I wrote the manufacturer about this.
From the manufacturer:
We leave it up to the manufacturer of the RV on whether they caulk. The shower sits on a 1" lip that is part of the pan. If everything is installed properly it is not necessary to caulk. The one thing to remember about caulking it that if you caulk part of it the whole thing needs to be caulked. Please let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Personal experience.

The way I read it in the installation instructions, and based on eeek's information, which I have read from other sources as well, the manufacturer (Duo in both of my cases) is basically silent on the issue, or leaves it up to the customer.

Since there is no way to eliminate the air gap between the liner and the wall, there is opportunity for condensation to occur. I simply would rather that condensation have a place to go (either drip down into the shower pan or evaporate out the top of the gap between the liner and the wall) than to let it get trapped in there. Plus, if one of those pop rivets leaks, I again would rather have a path for the water to escape than let it get trapped.

Further, there is no reason to seal that gap. Because the shower wall liner overlaps the pan by a good amount, water cannot get UP into the wall. Unless you're doing some pretty serious acrobatics, you're not going to get water in the top gap either. So at best, it's just a waste of time and money.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #10

Makes sense to me to allow a little air inside there.

Any condensation with no place to go is not a good thing!

Thanks All,
Chris