Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

Side steps holding water on the E-400 Greyhawk Chasis

There is no drain on the floorboards for the Greyhawk on the E-Series Chasis. This means no matter how it’s leveled (or not leveled) water pools on at least one side. This makes it eternally dirty and looks bad. Has anyone drilled a drain or done anything? I’m afraid to put in a rubber drain or do something in case I create a rust haven. Picture to show it - I clean it constantly but it doesn’t matter.

Ps - picture is likely sideways. I will never understand how to attach a picture right ways in this forum
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0010.jpg  
jasonthegreyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #2

If you want to drill a hole to drain water drill one. There is no probability of rust as this is a fiberglass step panel.....
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:30 AM   #3

I have the same issue. I think drilling a small hole in the lowest spot (when level) would be OK. Probably wouldn't hurt to fit a small rubber grommet in it to make it look cleaner. If you decide to drill, put some masking tape down prior to drilling. It will help keep the glass from chipping and make it easier to keep the bit from slipping. Depending on how big, you may want to start with a smaller pilot hole.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #4

I would think that a grommet would hold water until it can flow over the grommet, solving nothing. To make a hole look a little more finished, I would dab some matching paint on the edge of the hole with a q tip. I spray a little out of a rattle can into it's lid to wet the q tip.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #5

If I was going to drill a hole I would use a step up drill bitt. It leaves a finished edge on the hole. However I do agree with the recommendation of using tape to eliminate the possibility of chipping.
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #6

I will try to take a look at mine this afternoon as I have never seen this as an issue on mine. Perhaps I have simply missed seeing this over the many years or perhaps mine leans slightly downward away from the chassis. In any case, I wonder if it is possible to adjust the support brackets slightly so that the side steps lean away instead of inward? It wouldn't take much adjustment if that is an option, only a degree of angle or two. ~CA
Old 12-05-2023, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I would think that a grommet would hold water until it can flow over the grommet, solving nothing. To make a hole look a little more finished, I would dab some matching paint on the edge of the hole with a q tip. I spray a little out of a rattle can into it's lid to wet the q tip.
Yeah - I had started looking at grommets but the lip would be the obvious issue.

I have chamfer bits that drill a hole with a 45deg angle so may use that and make sure to put tape down.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:22 AM   #8

I don't know that mine hold water, but that grip tape on there is a half-arsed "solution" that drives me absolutely crazy. It started peeling up almost immediately, and looks like garbage.

Perhaps when I replace it, I'll put a drain hole in as well. Only concern with a drain hole is that if that is prone to collecting debris, it will clog quickly and not solve the problem. I have that issue in my boat.

Or maybe the real solution is to remove it completely and put a real step on there?

Quick Google search result that looks promising:
https://realtruck.com/p/luverne-7-te...iABEgIjK_D_BwE

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:33 AM   #9

Yes, the real solution is to install something that actually works. Iíve done that a lot all over the RV. I love it but also wish Jayce designers used their RVs for a few months and tweaked them before finishing them. Iím sure it all looks good on paper but so many tweaks that wouldnt add to the cost or weight but would make for a more practical product.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Or maybe the real solution is to remove it completely and put a real step on there?
I can't see, if the step were removed, how would you address the part of the step that acts as a fender flare?
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #11

I was looking at this today - itís def all one piece. You would need a new fender piece that matched if you wanted to put a better step on.

I was going to use a step drill but it is thicker than I thought so that would create too big of a hole at the top so I am going to start with a regular bit and see how it drains.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:30 AM   #12

The Ford E-450 chassis is as old as time. I'm sure you could find a stand alone flare that would work. In fact, a quick Google search netted several options.

Of course, all of this won't look as "fancy" as what's there, but functionality has GREAT room for improvement!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #13

Drill a small hole at the low point…it will drain then
Chimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #14

(Remember how it only takes a tiny hole on the roof to flood the inside?)

So dump some water on the step to find the lowest point and drill a small hole about the size of a coat hanger wire.

Keep a coat hanger handy to clear the hole if it stops up.

Easy..
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:20 PM   #15

I went ahead and drilled a smallish hole and then used a countersink to help with pulling the water in and to look a bit more intentional. I dumped a bucket of water and drained perfectly.

Hit it with a bit of white gloss although it’s 50 degrees right now so will hit it again when it’s warmer and it can further cure to look fully intentional.

All pictures were rotated 90 degrees by the forum so tilt your head accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0080.jpg   IMG_0081.jpg   IMG_0083.jpg   IMG_0084.jpg  
Old 12-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #16

Looks hardly noticeable and solved the problem. About what size hole did you end up with?
Old 12-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #17

It’s only like a 1/4 hole and then the countersink drill until I was happy with it. It’s thinner there than I thought so not much needed. If I pour a bucket of water on it, it takes a little while to drain but when it’s raining it keeps up with it completely.

Had no blocks of ice on it anymore which was one of the goals and I expect it will help a lot with keeping it looking cleaner etc.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
It’s only like a 1/4 hole and then the countersink drill until I was happy with it.
Thanks. I plan on doing the same to my camper. It's in storage about an hour away, so I'm making a list of things to do on my next visit.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:10 PM   #19

Have not messed with mine yet. But when I do I will drill a hole, remove the non skid and paint the step with a good non skid paint.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Have not messed with mine yet. But when I do I will drill a hole, remove the non skid and paint the step with a good non skid paint.
Rock
I'm sure you probably will, but if you'd do a writeup on that, I would appreciate it. That's something I'd like to do as well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV