Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Silverton CO - Nice rigs - painted slide walls

I see a few Senecas up here right now. Let me know if you are on this forum. The real reason I posted this is because I noticed that on both the rigs I saw, the slide walls were painted to match the exterior. Both of these are M2 chassis’. I have a 2016 and do not have painted sidewalls. I was wondering what years had the painted sidewall. To be honest, they look great. Wish mine had it.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 AM   #2

Our 2014 37FS has painted slidewalls.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:31 AM   #3

Our 2016 has painted sidewalls.
2012 Rans Seavo Tandem Bicycle
pmdevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #4

Our 2016 has it but I'm wondering if it was standard across the model line or not. I'm sure for the right amount of option money Jayco would do it for current models. It is a nice finishing touch for sure.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #5

Just for the record,I have an 18.5 Seneca TS and the sides of the slides are not painted.I ordered the coach and it was built but the factory will not deviate from the standard production no matter how much money you offer them.I wanted a ladder,a gas electric water heater {or at least upgrade the truma water heater from the cheapo base unit}but was promptly told no.Seems like such a shame when they are building a coach they cant do the upgrades the customer wants,we are paying dearly for these things!!!
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Our Seneca is a 2015 on paper... but it has some of the features that came on the 2016's here and there. Kind of like it was a half year transition built late in the season.

We have noticed the newer models have the sides of the slides painted black. That has to get awfully hot in the summer sun, especially since the sides of the slides don't seem to have the same levels of insulation as the main walls.

I would check into one of the auto vendors that does "Vinyl-wraps" and have them cover that panel in something other than black.
Attached Thumbnails
20180828_115441.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

My 2017TS has painted sides
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Thats odd...so it sounds like there are rigs before me and after me that have painted sides and I just have white walls. I wonder if the floorplan designates it? I will have to email Jayco and find out whats up?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Hi Ryan.

My 2018 M2 has the slide walls painted like a fine metallic black. The previous 2017 model year they were painted black with the graphic continued on the slide side. I was initially very disappointed in the lack of the graphic continuation as I thought it made the unit look very classy. Oh well, I’m over it

As hot as these get, the more white the better. In fact, I am in the early stages of considering getting the front cap either light colored truck liner or plastidipped or wrapped. Who came up with the idea of making everything black?

Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
As hot as these get, the more white the better. In fact, I am in the early stages of considering getting the front cap either light colored truck liner or plastidipped or wrapped. Who came up with the idea of making everything black?

Mark
I've been toying with the same plan... a couple of friends are in the automotive wrap/tint business and he does the very high end vehicles and commercial stuff (Justins Tint) He will be the one that does it...

The big decision is what color is going to match up / contrast with the rest of the paint, and be lighter / reflective of the heat up there. The bronze is my preference, but really want something lighter again.

Ideas????
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #11

Hey a wrap on those slide walls great idea! In Phoenix going to check it out. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #12

This is what Jayco replied back to me...their customer service has gone way downhill...I miss when Mitch was there.

"It is hard to say why some other units of different and same model years have painted slide walls and you do not. It could have been a situation where they quit doing it for a period of time then restarted, sorry to not be able to give a more definitive answer."
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #13

2017 only

Painted slide sidewalls to match the stripes and colors of the side of the Seneca existed ONLY on 2017 Senecas. But there is more to the story. At the 2016 Hershey RV show, Ryan Esch from Jayco advertised this feature to me which looked very impressive. He talked about how they upgraded from a basic color to this very impressive sceme that blended seamlessly into the sceme of the Seneca sidewall for at least 20 minutes. I was very impressed and looked forward to this feature on my 2018; as they seam to change their setups every other year, I assumed I would get matching slide colors too.

When I saw that this was not going to be the case as I viewed pictures of other 2018 on lots that were preordered, I called to ask if this could be added as an option and was told it could not. My 2018 (ordered March of 2017) came with black slide sides.

Then, in January of 2018 I spent nearly an hour talking to a rep in charlotte and brought up this issue as, yes, I felt they cheapened it up. I was told that painting those slide sides costs them an additional $2000. I admitted I would have paid that. He then went on to say that with profits and markup it would have costs me $4000!! So I figure we should only be paying 50% of msrp for these trucks then!

Now, we see the smaller a/c unit in the bedroom on 2019 models.

But back to the 2016 Hershey RV show where another factory rep was explaining how the RV industry had been making very poor quality RVs prior to the economic issues of 2007 and that the worst companies fell out of business. He said that when the RV business picked back up quality was high and prices lower. So I am extrapolating that with high demand with mean higher prices and less quality because we will purchase whatever they give us. When deman drops out agian, then maybe we will see some painted slide sidewalls. It’s kind of a bone with me because I liked it too.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Painted slide sidewalls to match the stripes and colors of the side of the Seneca existed ONLY on 2017 Senecas. But there is more to the story.

When deman drops out agian, then maybe we will see some painted slide sidewalls.
Some (all?) 2016’s had slidewall graphics as well. I’d prefer to see a large scale demand drop/quality rise triggered by a cause other than another econopocalypse however.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Did you use automotive paint, what type sprayer did you use?Where did you get the paint. Now that its getting cooler in Phoenix would like to try that! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote