Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #1

Skylight on roof of Redhawk 24B

Hello,

Did anyone thought about installing or installed additional skylight on the roof of 24B?
How do I find if there is framing, wires or AC in my way. I think there is lock of natural light going in around kitchen and near the front of the couch.
Please advice, thank you
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #2

I recommend contacting Jayco with your vin number and ask for the roof framing.

I added a number of lights throughout the tt. It has made a big difference.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #3

Good idea, do you have a picture of the additional lights installed. How did you run the wires?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
Good idea, do you have a picture of the additional lights installed. How did you run the wires?
I purchased the same lights that were already in my TT. I just pulled one down and found the manufacture info on it, and ordered them from Amazon.

As for pulling wires, That that took a bit of work. I spent about a week poking and prodding and planning my wiring routes. In your Redhawk I suspect it would be easier, as your wires run under the floor, exposed to the elements. My wires are all hidden within the cabinets.

I identified a couple unused fuses in my fuse box. They all had fuses in them, but not all where be utilized. Your fuse box is probably under your bed, so they are fairly easy to get to. Just don't be scared of what you find. Do tighten all the terminals on the AC and DC systems when you have it open.

As for lighting locations, the base of all the upper cabinets are hollow. It is made up of a sandwich of luan plywood, and a 1x1 subframe. From the inside of the cabinet, I very slowly pulled up on the plywood, and released the million staples, (go slow, work your way around multiple times, or you will fracture the plywood). Once the shelf was lifted, I was able to run my wires and mount my lights. As for the physical routing of wires, Jayco has a number of small false walls, panels, and so forth that I took advantage of. I just had to look for them. For example in my pantry, the whole back panel is screwed in place. A ton of wires are hidden behind this panel. I just followed heat ducts and wire pipes as far as I could. I did have to get a little creative in a few places.

I ran all my wires inside the TT, as that is how they are all done on my TT. For me the hardest spot was getting the wires pulled under and around the shower base. I bet I spent a couple hours on this effort. The rest was quick and easy.

I do not recall how many lights I added, but I think I added 5, but maybe as high as 7 light fixtures (2 in the cargo hold, 2 over the front bunk/dinette, maybe 2 over the J-Sofa (might have already been lights here, I think I added one over the sink (might have already been one there to), all single units. They all look factory installed. I also installed six 12V AUX outlets for phone charging and for my CPAP machine. I also installed two additional power ports uses for bunk fan/lights, that Jayco made standard in the 2013 year. It has been awhile since I did this, but I think I did this all on two new circuits.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As for pulling wires, That that took a bit of work. I spent about a week poking and prodding and planning my wiring routes. In your Redhawk I suspect it would be easier, as your wires run under the floor, exposed to the elements. My wires are all hidden within the cabinets.
If he's talking ceiling that will be a nightmare since his roof is block foam and the wiring is encased.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

I know you probably want more light but, I'd refrain from cutting into a roof and just add additional lighting. I understand there's folks that have done it for second ac's and such but most of them are framed and ready for the second ac. Just something about hacking into a perfectly good non-leaking roof scares me. Good luck on whatever you choose and take pics.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #7

Thank you all for the advice
Old 10-05-2022, 04:44 AM   #8

Buy some lights that are battery operated and LED, that stick to walls or ceilings. Remove the two sided tape, and replace with Velcro, so they can be removed easily to change the battery(s). The only issue is that they won't work off of one master switch, but have their own on/off switch.

I see these at most CVS or Walgreens in the "As seen on TV" isle.

A whole lot easier that trying to install wiring in a roof or floor I'd think.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote