Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Slide out ice chest tray

Has anyone installed a pull out tray for an ice chest in one of the belly boxes of a Seneca 36FK? If so, what brand or manufacturer did you use and where did you buy it? I'm getting too old and feeble to heft a fully loaded ice chest into the belly box and I cannot get the lid open far enough to load in place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
Has anyone installed a pull out tray for an ice chest in one of the belly boxes of a Seneca 36FK? If so, what brand or manufacturer did you use and where did you buy it? I'm getting too old and feeble to heft a fully loaded ice chest into the belly box and I cannot get the lid open far enough to load in place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ahhh that is one project I worked on for months and months.

Backstory... I have an awesome connection with CargoGlide and knew that I could get a custom made slide made for our cooler. CargoGlide is known as one of the best in the industry, and they are local for us and are AWESOME to work with.

My original intent was to move our Engle TEK-II 12v Fridge into the Seneca and mount it on the slide-out. It currently rides in the back of the Toyota-FJC and keeps everything ice cold on every trip we take.

After lots of measuring, engineering the project came upon the daunting challenge to support the weight of a full cooler (or Fridge) on an extended slide system that extends 120% beyond the structural mounting points - attached to only a Plastic structure. I would have needed to fabricate an exo-skelital structure on the outside of the tub to bolt the CargoGlide to that would need to attached to the steel structure that the cargo bays are affixed to.

After all that design work - some other items to note came apparent:
With the slide mechanism to work, it must clear the bottom of the baggage compartment door (Lost the first 2") The clearance for the slide assembly rails takes up another 2-4 inches (depending on capacity / configuration) and when the entire unit is installed, the cooler would now be sitting almost 5" higher that it would if it was just sitting in the cargo bay. So now the (fridge)cooler I wanted to use, would be inches from the Top of the cargo bay door opening. In my mind... not an effective use of the storage.

So what did we do... hunted high/low for a premium cooler that had the perfect dimensions to fit in the Seneca FK entertainment bay below the TV/entertainment center. It had to be 65-qt or larger and meet the Bear-proof standards because of where we camp frequently.

We put the Engle-65 in the "Bar Bay" and it handles 90 frosty cold beverages with a small amount of ice for days and days in the 95F weather. We use the Sececa's Ice maker to dump one tray of ice in every other day and it works well for us (unless we fill the cooler w/ Warm beverages)

If you come up with a solution to the structural support challenges - I'd like to see what you do, but right now - we compromised and are very satisfied so far.
Attached Thumbnails
20200531_220150.jpg   20200515_135019.jpg   20200602_173336.jpg   20200602_173355.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

SloPoke,

I'm ok with the loss of space since the ice chest is the only thing I will put in that compartment. I located a fabricator here in Havasu to build it for me and got some slides online that will support 800 pounds. Here is my idea:
Attached Thumbnails
ICE CHEST TRAY.jpg  

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
Old 06-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Are you reinforcing the plastic storage bay to withstand both upward and downward forces in the back of the storage bay?

Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #5

I haven't gotten that far yet, but yes, I intend to do so.

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
Old 06-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

Has anyone checked out these folks?

https://rvcablegrip.com/RV_Drawers.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Slide out ice chest tray

I have completed the project. Well almost... I still have to get it bolted down and add some bracing on the back edge to tie the storage box to the chassis. I noted there are only 3 screws holding the back edge of the plastic box to the floor. This drawer is designed to fit my Yeti 75 Qt cooler. had it built by a fabricator here in Lake Havasu City. I designed it to extend past the edge of the door so I could get the lid open and access the contents of the ice chest with out having to remove it from the tray. I purchased heavy duty locking slides designed to carry 600 pounds! Just in case I want to stand on it to wash the side of my motorhome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	JAYCO - ICE CHEST TRAY 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	60928

Click image for larger version

Name:	JAYCO - ICE CHEST TRAY 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	60929

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #8

That looks VERY GOOD! I am looking forward to seeing how you reinforce the inboard side of the plastic bay in the compartment to support the weight when the cooler is pulled out. Take more pictures of that for the other FK owners!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
That looks VERY GOOD! I am looking forward to seeing how you reinforce the inboard side of the plastic bay in the compartment to support the weight when the cooler is pulled out. Take more pictures of that for the other FK owners!
SloPoke,

Did you reinforce your storage box to carry the load you are putting in it?

2019 Jayco Seneca 37K
2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
SloPoke,

Did you reinforce your storage box to carry the load you are putting in it?
I put a sheet of 5/8 plywood in the bottom of the bay. But that only spreads the load across the bottom of the storage bay with "Downward Force".

I think that you need to consider the upwards force that will occur when the unit is slid out with a full cooler (at minimum if you plan to stand on the unit when you are latching/unlatching the Stove/Microwave Vent) When that weight is fully extended on the slide out rails, the back mounting fasteners of the unit is going to experience a large force pulling upwards.