Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Slide out leaking during downpour

2016 Melbourne 24K, 8000mi. Haven't had any issues on 4 previous trips but this past weekend trip to Niagara Falls included heavy downpour the morning we were breaking down. Suddenly noticed fair amount of water along the step down to drivers seat. Tracked it back to the upper slideout track...water was running in along the track and down to the floor.
Noticed a small (~6") piece of slideout seal at the top of the track had a small tear... but the tear was at the top of the seal while the water appeared to be coming in at the bottom of the seal.
1) Anyone seen anything like this?
2) Any suggestions on how to replace that small section of slideout seal?
3) Shouldn't an exterior seal prevent this infiltration?

Note: closed the slide and the leak stopped!

Planning to do a "dry run" (pun intended) tomorrow to see if I can replicate the issue.

Thanks for any useful feedback! Happy Camping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #2

Make sure all the seals are sitting the way they should every time you open it. If the seal doesn't sit right you'll have a water problem. Also make sure your leveled. If your not sometimes that can make you spring a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Honestly, based on the relatively limited "seals" on most slide outs, I am amazed they don't leak more often. The mentality of the manufacturers seems to be to count on gravity and assume that water will always go downhill. Of course in a big storm is is quite possible for water to sideways if a big enough blow.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Honestly, based on the relatively limited "seals" on most slide outs, I am amazed they don't leak more often. The mentality of the manufacturers seems to be to count on gravity and assume that water will always go downhill. Of course in a big storm is is quite possible for water to sideways if a big enough blow.
I agree with your assessment about the desire to build with the idea that water will always just flow with gravity. Twice we have had the circuit board on our furnace start acting up because of water infiltration during extreme rain in the furnace vent area. A simple covering over the circuit board has resolved the problem, but sometimes I think the design mentality is, "Here's a spot!
It'll work here".
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

We had a 5th wheel that a slide would leak when it was raining. It turned out the slide was not aliened correctly and would leak when the slide was out but not then we closed it.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Great topic! I'm in same boat! Seems I'm missing part of my rubber seal at base of the slide.. seeping in at base. [emoji43]

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Slide out leaking during downpour

Thanks all...so here's what I found. Both my inner and outer seals on the front edge of the dinette slide had small rips in them (pic attached). When I pulled the seal back, there's a sharp edge inside the seal gets trapped against and, over time, it's worn/torn a hole in the rubber. Besides that, the seal on the both sides left approx 3/16" gap between the lower edge of the seal and the top of the track.
I walked the isles of Home Depot until I found what I needed...garage door bottom rubber seal material. Wide and very pliable, easily cut with scissors, I cut a couple pieces and super glued them to the existing seal, making the "new seal" snug against the slide rail.
Because its pliable, it moves in and out with the slide like the original material...and smooshes flat when the slide is closed so no issues there.
2 other things...
1) as suggested, we weren't exactly level when it rained (the slide was high) allowing (forcing) the water to run toward the opening. Learned that lesson!!
2) I tried to get slide toppers installed on the rig when we bought it and was told by Camping World they couldn't (more like wouldn't!) install a topper on the dinette slide due to how it's made. I've since seen photos of a slide topper on an identical rig, installed by a different CW...so I'm sending those pics to the CW near me to see if I can get them to change their mind. I believe had I had a slide topper on that side, this wouldn't have ever happened!
Anyway, thought I'd share...hope it helps someone else!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

Old 07-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Before the Jayco White Hawk, we had a Monaco motorhome that leaked from day one. They replaced seal, aligned the slide you name it, we tried it. The water puddled by the slide behind the drivers seat. We had to have the windshield replaced a year before we traded it (stone hit it and cracked). After the windshield was replaced, we never had another leak. Water can travel from the entry point. It was the most aggravating problem over six years. We had to replace flooring in the slide. The biggest issue once something starts leaking is mold and rot. Stay on the dealer until you find the problem.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post

Thanks for posting the picture of your "seal enhancement", Dnb.
I think we too may have had a bit of water migration during a heavy rainfall a while back.
As for the toppers you mention, I've not had any success with dealers in our area (Western Canada), despite having shown pics of successful installations elsewhere.
Pamanc had theirs done in Redding CA. I'm considering taking our unit there later in Fall.

Rudy & Claire Peters
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 AM   #11

Had a friend with a TT of different manufacture, but with Schwintek slide. His was leaking and he asked me to take a look at it. We determined the water was running back in on the top of the slide rail. I put some caulk "diverter" beads on top of the rail, but that didn't stop it. He had slide a slide topper installed, that didn't stop it. Had him "level" the TT with the slide tipped down, that stopped it, but I didn't think that was really proper. Finally after "switching" dealers for service purposes. they found that the "catch cup" was damage or missing. This is a small piece of rubber or plastic, formed into a cup and drains back outside. It was at floor level and at the end of the rail when slide was extended. The water that runs in is caught by this cup and drains back outside. A pain to see and I think they had to remove the slide to fix. Luckily it was under warranty. Just something to check.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #12

We haven't had success with getting slide toppers either, although a Lazy Days outside of Denver claims they can put them on any rig. We're a little nervous! Our original dealer (also CW) wouldn't touch it. (Search "slide toppers" for pages of discussion).

We had a leak in our back slide when it was in. We were in Oregon, and it was raining for days while we were on the road. We think some of the water was getting in from the splash from our toad but also from driving through rivers of water. It would get under the back slide and come into the bedroom. Took it to our dealer later, and they gave us an additional bottom seal to put on. Haven't been to any wet areas since to test it out.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

This exact same thing happened to us ...

Same exact unit, same exact mileage. I was parked nose slightly downhill, the slideout was out, and during the rain it leaked down the inside and onto the floor. Mopped it up and no permanent damage. I inspected the seals and they seemed fine. Afterward I treated them with the recommended seal maintenance compound.
darklordlarry is offline   Reply With Quote