Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #1

Exclamation Slide out on 2003 Greyhawk not working

Hi,
I had not been using my slide out while my RV was parked at my sisters home. I did have it plugged in for electric to keep the fridge running. About five days ago I was showing my RV to two different people at two different times and demonstrated how large it is with the slide out. So it only got slid out and back in two times. Now I’ve been on the road for over 1000 miles and tried last night to move the slide out and when it didn’t work I thought it was just because I was sitting on a very unlevel space. Today, same thing . The button for retract and extend doesn’t even make a click sound anywhere like it recognizes I’m pressing it. Everything worked fine when I was showing it to Family. If it might be a fuse - which one is for the slide out?
Please Help
Thanks so much,
Connie
Heartsong55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

Check them all if they are not labeled...only real way
2003 is pretty old...just start pulling and looking

Good luck
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong55 View Post
it to Family. If it might be a fuse - which one is for the slide out?
Please Help
Thanks so much,
Connie

Connie, yeah 2003 is pretty old. You MIGHT try calling Jayco and seeing if they can assist. If you have the manual, it MIGHT have a section on it. You can also try to see if a newer electrical diagram is still accurate for the side.

Google "2003 Greyhawk Electrical Diagram" and you'll see several. A few are here on Jayco Owners too.

If you know how to check to see if a fuse is blown, or not - then I'd do what Stav suggested. Go thru each 12V fuse in the converter and check for one that's blown. Start with the fuses that are high amperage, 25 or 30A. I think the slide out sucks a lot of current to run, so it would need a high amperage fuse.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:28 PM   #4

Some require the emergency brake on and some with the motor running or not with key out.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 AM   #5

Go to this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-94171.html

If it worked a few weeks ago and now it is not, I'd check the condition of the house battery, check if you operated the house disconnect battery (by the stairway), or a bad ground (underneath the house battery by the frame; a bounch of white wires).

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #6

All fuses are 15 except for a metal one that says 20
Old 05-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Go to this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-94171.html

If it worked a few weeks ago and now it is not, I'd check the condition of the house battery, check if you operated the house disconnect battery (by the stairway), or a bad ground (underneath the house battery by the frame; a bounch of white wires).
Does the house battery matter for the slide if I’m connected to the 30amp electric source?
Old 05-09-2022, 06:52 AM   #8

I'm pretty sure the slide is 12v powered.. also if engine running won't go out, or if key is on, and E brake must be engaged

My slide is tied to a 15a fuse, I just checked all mine due to thermostat issue, which was the glass fuse in thermostat..lol.. but did see where every fuse went and alse Determine that the diagram on the fuse Panel is labeled in reverse order on my 2018 25r
Old 05-09-2022, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Does the house battery matter for the slide if I’m connected to the 30amp electric source?

No... Yes... If the house battery is dead, then yeah - plugging in will give you the 12V power the slide needs to move. But if the interior lights go on, and the slide makes NO noise at all. I don't know. I'm guessing the house battery still has some life.

You could always plug in - doesn't have to be to a 30A source. You could drag a good extension cord out, use a 15A to 30A adapter, plug in and just see if the slide moves.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
My slide is tied to a 15a fuse

Thanks for the clarification. I was GUESSING the draw would be much higher. It's not.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
All fuses are 15 except for a metal one that says 20

My mistake on that one. Sorry. Stav clarified that his slide fuse is 15A. Bucko's comment about a bad ground was a problem for me. But in my case, it showed up as problems with the leveling jacks.

But, he's right. A bad ground can cause all sorts of issues. Unfortunately, finding and fixing my bad ground was not fun. It's crawling under the RV. Following the black/negative battery cable from the house battery.

Mine terminated in a big screw into the frame of the RV. But once found, it wasn't hard. Unscrew the bolt, use steel wool or a file to clean off all of the metal around the frame and wires - then rescrew the bolt back in.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
No... Yes... If the house battery is dead, then yeah - plugging in will give you the 12V power the slide needs to move. But if the interior lights go on, and the slide makes NO noise at all. I don't know. I'm guessing the house battery still has some life.

You could always plug in - doesn't have to be to a 30A source. You could drag a good extension cord out, use a 15A to 30A adapter, plug in and just see if the slide moves.
Plugged in 3 nights ago…no slider
Old 05-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Like I mentioned, did u check all fuses?

Pull them out, you'll see if they are BROKE between the two legs

[
Old 05-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #14

On my 2005 Jayco Greyhawk, I found that there were at least 20 white wires that were under the house battery. Jayco, at least in 2005, used white wires as ground color codes. As I mentioned in the other thread, I found 4 that were broke off, and 2 more broke when I tugged on them. After crimping 3 wires at a time to a yellow eyelet crimp, and then drilling a hole in the frame, followed with using a good nut, lock washer and bolt to ground these wires, the slider worked.

If you have a basic test light (or better yet, a multi meter that can read 12 volts), check for voltage at the switch, and at the motor. Then check for ground using the Ohm meter portion of the multi-meter.

It's not all that difficult of an electrical circuit. The 12 volt motor that operates the slide gets 12 volts from the house battery via a switch. If the motor's ground is good, and it has 12 volts from the switch to the motor, then either the slide frame is out of wack (manually opening/closing the slide will help determine that), or god forbid, the motor went bad. I hope not the later, as the slide motor's will give you price shock.

Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.

2007 Ford F150
Old 05-09-2022, 11:11 AM   #15

One other thing....if the interior lights are working, and you are not plugged in to any shore power, then ignore the next bit of text here...
otherwise, check the house battery. If you are sure it is good, then check for 12 volts at the right side large post of the solenoid that controls the house battery connect/disconnect. Again, if the interior lights are working without any shore power connection, then the 12 volt house battery should at the very least allow the slide to budge a bit.

On my 2005, I also have to make sure the drivers seat back is tilted forward, as the slide will hit on the seat as it opens. I also have expandable jacks that press the upper top of the slider shut against the wall. If you have these, are they removed to allow the slider to open?

2007 Ford F150
Old 05-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:

If it's absolutely quiet, like you said, no clicks, no groans - then you're on the right path. Fuse, ground, 12V to the motor.

Check each fuse as Stav outlined. Or, swap 'em. Move every 15A fuse down by one spot - see if you trade a non-working slide for a working one.

If you have a multimeter, I'd check the fuses by using the "continuity mode" on the meter.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:54 AM   #17

I found (and bought) a simple hand held fuse and battery tester (someone on this site posted a link to it). My eyes are not what they used to be, so holding a fuse up to a light does not always work for me! I do have better hearing, so the buzz this tester makes when checking a fuse with it helps.

Now if I can only remember what drawer in the camper I left it in?

2007 Ford F150
Old 05-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #18

Did you check your battery?
Jimmy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #19

Battery and fuses are all good. A fellow camper helped me manually open the slider so that I have my indoor space, at least.
I’ve ordered a rocker slide switch assembly from Jayco. Fingers crossed that it works. I only wanted the switch but, they only come as a full assembly…
Guess I’ll just have to wait til it gets here to hopefully solve my issue.
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Battery and fuses are all good. A fellow camper helped me manually open the slider so that I have my indoor space, at least.
I’ve ordered a rocker slide switch assembly from Jayco. Fingers crossed that it works. I only wanted the switch but, they only come as a full assembly…
Guess I’ll just have to wait til it gets here to hopefully solve my issue.
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.
To verify if the switch is bad, you can connect (only for a second or two just like holding the switch rocker) and see if the solenoid works. All the switch does is connect the bottom wire of the switch (ground) to the upper switch (grey that connects to the small post of the solenoid) to operate it; this enables/disables the battery + from the left large solenoid post to the right large solenoid post.

2007 Ford F150