Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Slide switch cover?

Our 2016 Greyhawk 29MV has two switches on the bedroom wall. One turns on the lights and the other is for the slide operation. Not sure why Jayco mounted them so close together but it’s a problem for my DW. The closest switch inside the doorway is for the slide. She has pushed it a few times thinking it was for the lights. Does anyone know if there might be a cover for this type of switch? I’ve looked on RV Upgrades but can’t seem to locate one. The other option would be a light switch that glows in the dark? Is that a possibility?
Would appreciate any info that may remedy this issue. Thanks, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Our 2016 Greyhawk 29MV has two switches on the bedroom wall. One turns on the lights and the other is for the slide operation. Not sure why Jayco mounted them so close together but it’s a problem for my DW. The closest switch inside the doorway is for the slide. She has pushed it a few times thinking it was for the lights. Does anyone know if there might be a cover for this type of switch? I’ve looked on RV Upgrades but can’t seem to locate one. The other option would be a light switch that glows in the dark? Is that a possibility?
Would appreciate any info that may remedy this issue. Thanks, Jimmyd
Jimmy, Jayco must have had other complaints about this. The new Greyhawks have both slide switches on the control panel up front.

I would take some red paint and paint the slide switch red. Since it’s plastic maybe some model airplane or model car paint? That might help her know “Don’t Touch”!

Or maybe glue a small round piece of black plastic to the top of the switch so when she goes to push it she will feel the difference. Again airplane or car model glue.

Cheap and might work?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Jimmy, Jayco must have had other complaints about this. The new Greyhawks have both slide switches on the control panel up front.

I would take some red paint and paint the slide switch red. Since it’s plastic maybe some model airplane or model car paint? That might help her know “Don’t Touch”!

Or maybe glue a small round piece of black plastic to the top of the switch so when she goes to push it she will feel the difference. Again airplane or car model glue.

Cheap and might work?
Thanks Mike that may work. The biggest issue is they put the slide switch closet to the doorway and when you reach in when it’s dark the first thing you touch is the slide switch. I’ve almost done it twice myself. I may try to reverse them and put the light switch first. If I find a clear cover I will post it for everyone else that may need it. Take care, Jimmyd
Old 08-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

cabinetmaker, just reverse the wiring behind the switche(s), making the first one the lights. Better yet, reverse the wiring and replace the first switch with a lighted switch.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
cabinetmaker, just reverse the wiring behind the switche(s), making the first one the lights. Better yet, reverse the wiring and replace the first switch with a lighted switch.
Triplebvalp have you seen an RV lighted switch? If so can you tell me what supplier has them? Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 08-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Triplebvalp have you seen an RV lighted switch? If so can you tell me what supplier has them? Thanks, Jimmyd
I haven't looked for a specific "RV" lighted switch ... was just making a suggestion. Any automotive style lighted switch would work. It probably would take some retrofitting and you will need access to a ground.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Just search lighted RV rocker switch. Tons on Amazon
Old 08-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
I haven't looked for a specific "RV" lighted switch ... was just making a suggestion. Any automotive style lighted switch would work. It probably would take some retrofitting and you will need access to a ground.
I found plenty of lighted switches on Amazon but none so far that look like the style that is in the coach. I just thought that maybe someone on the forum may have used one already.
I’m also looking for a plastic cover to shield the slide switch. For some reason Jayco installed both switches just a few inches apart. Not the smartest move on their part. I’m sure I will get it straightened out. Thanks, again for all the suggestions. Jimmyd
Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #9

Lighted switch

As far as I know ( but I don’t know everything ) lighted switches are only illuminated when the lights are on so it wouldn’t be much help - we have one that CW in Mesa Az ordered for us for the porch light because it is so pitiful that we couldn’t tell that it was on - I don’t have any part numbers Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Take a piece of rubber strapping (bicycle tire etc.) and let it hang over the switch (use the switch screw for fastening), she will feel the difference. And say oops....next one
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

Install another switch next to the slide switch that turns off power to the slide switch.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Take a piece of rubber strapping (bicycle tire etc.) and let it hang over the switch (use the switch screw for fastening), she will feel the difference. And say oops....next one
I like this idea! Our 2019 has the same two switches next to each other with the slide switch closest to the bed. I thought this might be an issue before even camping in it.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Here are a few pictures of my solution for the slide switch.
I purchased a grey outlet hinged cover and cut the back open to accept the wall slide switch. I decided to paint it black so it would blend with all other switches. Now we can accidentally push it before turning on the bedroom lights.
Hope this mod may help anyone else with this same issue.
Jimmyd
Attached Thumbnails
0B6B3BEF-99FD-4DEF-AAC4-85F452826E0D.jpg   1CBA7B7D-ACD2-4762-96B5-30EAAC76FD72.jpg   63A80379-91CC-4AEF-8D13-95F7A8B8DB57.jpg  
Old 08-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #14

Great solution Jimmy! Bet that will work great. I was in ours today and too a picture of our bedroom wall switch and control panel upfront with both slide switches. Not sure when Jayco changed this but it’s different in our 2018 29mvp.
Attached Thumbnails
59E21BB5-8C66-4178-8EA7-2FD0BEB449F9.jpg   047B582A-70AD-4A8D-B25C-00F5F84013FB.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 AM   #15

Cabinetmaker that panel is different. Our front panel has a door over it with similar switches. If the rear slide button is up front how can you tell when it’s fully out or in. Does it have a auto shut off or can you just go by sound? Swintech slides are very tricky and need to be kept in full travel motion once started. I’m sure you know from previous Motorhomes.
We had issues on our previous coach. All the motors needed to be changed from 300 to 1 to 500 to 1 because of the weight of the large slides. Big engineering boo boo on the part of the builder. Good news was it was all covered by them. Safe travels Mike.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #16

Thanks for the solutions. They did the same slide switch locations in a 2016 Melbourne. Did something similar in the bathroom. Bank of 3 switches first switch is fan then tank heater and then light. Towel on the towel holder covers the light switch. The surrounding plate is labeled so there is no switching the order unless new surround and labeling is done.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Cabinetmaker that panel is different. Our front panel has a door over it with similar switches. If the rear slide button is up front how can you tell when it’s fully out or in. Does it have a auto shut off or can you just go by sound? Swintech slides are very tricky and need to be kept in full travel motion once started. I’m sure you know from previous Motorhomes.
We had issues on our previous coach. All the motors needed to be changed from 300 to 1 to 500 to 1 because of the weight of the large slides. Big engineering boo boo on the part of the builder. Good news was it was all covered by them. Safe travels Mike.
Jimmy...luckily we can see the slide from the front panel but it does seem weird to be that far from the bedroom to the switch. I guess because the whole bed doesn't slide just the top platform with the mattress they feel it's not going to cause a problem. So far it's worked fine...fingers crossed!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Curious what your previous coach was, we are having trouble with 2017 Melbourne 24l. Gears and slide rails plus motors just replaced. Got the unit home Saturday and slide not going out already, one side ahead of the other than stalls out.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #19

Livewire, my previous coach was a Tiffin Allegro Bus 45UP. It was a limited model and the two rear slides were on swintech tracks and motors. I can tell you they were a lot heavier than the Jayco slides. The slide boxes were a new design in 2015 made of all sealed fiberglass for a guarantee of no leaks. The size and weight were much heavier than the engineered and that’s why we needed more powerful motors.
On your coach do you know if they changed out the controller? Our controller is under the bed and they have been known to be problematic. Also look up the sequence for re timing your slide motors. This could be the problem as well.
The way it normally re times should be on the Swintech site for your specific coach or you may need to call them. Good luck, Jimmyd
Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Curious what your previous coach was, we are having trouble with 2017 Melbourne 24l. Gears and slide rails plus motors just replaced. Got the unit home Saturday and slide not going out already, one side ahead of the other than stalls out.
Sounds like a timing issue like Jimmy said. Run the slide part way out then stop and run it back in. Do this a few times then run it all the way out and when it gets fully opened or extended keep the button pushed for about 5 seconds to time the motors to run together.

Be sure when you go out or in you never stop..keep that button pushed! Stopping and starting causes what you described. Also, always keep the button pushed for a few seconds after the slide is in or out to always sync the motors back after each run.

Be sure your plugged into shore power or the generator is running to help the battery because the slide motors take a lot of juice. My owners manual says to do this when working slides and I bet yours does also.

There are videos about this and how to fix it on their website.