Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Slide topper replacement

Decided to tackle replacing my main slide topper on my 2016 Seneca. Followed video on their website. Piece of cake on removal. After I got it off, the problem was thread had rotted. Tyler at Tuff Top said that’s because they use cotton thread. They use heavyweight material and marine grade stitching. Removal was by myself but I think the install I’ll need some help. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

I replaced both the slide toppers on my Eagle. The bedroom slide topper was easy by myself but the 12' main slide I had to have help but just in the roll up procedure. Good luck and keep us posted.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Decided to tackle replacing my main slide topper on my 2016 Seneca. Followed video on their website. Piece of cake on removal. After I got it off, the problem was thread had rotted. Tyler at Tuff Top said that’s because they use cotton thread. They use heavyweight material and marine grade stitching. Removal was by myself but I think the install I’ll need some help. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
I just replaced both of the slide toppers on our 2014 37TS. Same rotted thread. Bed first as it is shorter. File end of track smooth pay special attention to rough spot inside track where screws were through bead. Sprayed silicon in track. Cleaned some corrosion off roller as moisture stayed inside extra original fabric never unrolled. Also went with tuf toppers, no extra to hold moisture. I used clamp on tarp eyes near each bead with a rope through eye so DW could pull while I fed the beads in.
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Sorry I didn’t post sooner. Finished the topper install. Had the neighbors kid help with the install. Went great. Fabric is a lot tougher! Looked at bedroom slide. Threads rotten too. That’ll be next !

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Just picked-up my unit from Middlebury for warranty repairs. They replaced the living room slide topper for the same reason. Jayco does not include the additional aluminum shield so the threads are always exposed. I plan on smearing some black silicone on the threads soon to protect them.

In your initial post, you mentioned a removal video on the web. What web site were you referring to?

Thanks,

Dave
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

Look under “RV Geeks”. How to replace Carefree of Colorado slide topper. The model is SOK III!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Look under “RV Geeks”. How to replace Carefree of Colorado slide topper. The model is SOK III!

I know I will doing this this sometime in the future. Good info, especially on using Tuff Top as a replacement.

Thanks!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

Just installed a tough top slide topper

My main living room slide topper had a rip develop on the topper, which despite my best efforts to repair with gorilla tape, it continued to rip, so I ordered a tough top replacement. My topper is a carefree ascent, which is slightly different that the sok 3, but I got it mostly off by myself. I needed help removing the rollup bar, re-installing the topper and then replacing the bar. It looks great and I could do the same job again in less than an hour. it took me about 3 hours this time, just because I had no idea how to do it and I was working in a building with no wifi, so I had to leave to re-watch in install video several times.

I also ordered the privacy shade from tough toppers to hang from the main awning. It took about 15 minutes to install and I think we are goign to love it. I got the 60" width so that it would hang as low as possible from the awning.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #9

Anyone install slide toppers from scratch? Any thoughts, advice? Thinking about it as the unit didn’t have them on it when I purchased it, and I didn’t know enough about RVs at the time to even ask.