Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Al1

Slide Topper wear

I have a 2016 Redhawk 26XD and the slide toppers and awning are all developing slits where the material is degrading. Do they only last 4 years or am I not maintaining them right?
I spend 2 months in the hot summer in NC or Georgia volunteering with the NPS so they are open and exposed during that time. I never thought that the sun would destroy them in so short a time.
I may need some advice. Thanks, Al
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

We're nowhere near the hot climate you are in, but our awning gets cleaned on both sides twice a year, then treated with 303 Protectant. Even then, it's starting to show its age of 8 years. We will replace the fabric next spring, with a better material.

No help on the slide topper. as we don't have one to top!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
I have a 2016 Redhawk 26XD and the slide toppers and awning are all developing slits where the material is degrading. Do they only last 4 years or am I not maintaining them right?
I spend 2 months in the hot summer in NC or Georgia volunteering with the NPS so they are open and exposed during that time. I never thought that the sun would destroy them in so short a time.
The slide toppers on my Eagle lasted about 5 years. I replaced them myself after watching numerous videos. Also went from white material to black because the black doesn't show the mold/dirt like the white does. It was a fairly easy DIY job. I just replaced my main awning about a week ago after 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We're nowhere near the hot climate you are in, but our awning gets cleaned on both sides twice a year, then treated with 303 Protectant. Even then, it's starting to show its age of 8 years. We will replace the fabric next spring, with a better material.
This is interesting about treating the awning with 303. I realize how to apply it but how do you wipe it off? My awning is 19ft. I use 303 extensively on other seals, etc.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
This is interesting about treating the awning with 303. I realize how to apply it but how do you wipe it off? My awning is 19ft. I use 303 extensively on other seals, etc.
I don't really wipe it off, but I might apply it differently than most. I'll wet a small towel down with it and just wipe it on. To clarify, this is a manual awning, and after we've cleaned it, so the arms are disconnected and under the TT, so the awning's hanging straight down the side. We'll hook it back up again, and do the underside from a small step ladder. That side is tough on my arms, but it's only 14' long. If your awning's power, you could do the same thing, but wrap the towel or rag on a push broom, and do the top side from the roof.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote