Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #21

My 2107 Redhawk 26X1 came without toppers. I bought them from Amazon and installed them myself. Everything went great and they work well. Just a note, my roof is a foam compensate roof so I am avoiding walking on it!!
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #22

Thumbs up Slide Toppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I was discussing with my dealer about putting slide toppers on my rig (1 1/2 years after sale)
He said he's not a fan of them if the slides are kept out all the time...they start to sag after a while from the rain that eventually pools up on them.
And like already pointed out arlready the wind popping them around.
Plus getting all the wet stuck leaves off is a pain.

Any truth to this?
He could have talked me into them, but he was talking me out of them.
I had them put on my Gray Hawk DS 31, would have it no other way
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #23

Your dealer sounds like ours. For some reason just about every other Melbourne person on this forum has been able to get slide toppers - not us - YET. Our dealer just doesn't want to do it. We had a slide topper on our previous trailer - had the trailer for 2 1/2 years and our son now for 1. That topper has never flopped or malfunctioned in any way. As far as the "wet leaves sticking to the topper", what about leaves sticking to the slide without the topper...a lot harder to clean off. We were in a wind storm at a campground in Bandon, Oregon a few years ago and ended up with pine needles all over our trailer. Thank goodness we had the topper. Think you, like us, should search for another installer if you really want them.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #24

We bought them

Because there seemed to be overwhelming support on this and another forum we asked our dealer to install them after market but before pick up on our 2017 29 MV. He was happy to have the sale and the service guy said they were pretty straightforward to install. Seems strange that a dealer who is in business talks a customer out of a sale?

I'm happy with the way they look and work right now time will tell if leaves etc are a problem but as someone said leaves will stick on the slide as well...I'm looking forward to my first trip!

Good luck whatever you decide..
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #25

I must say I am a fan of slide topper, I bought a used Greyhawk without a topper. The first thing I did was install one. The proof was the bucket of trash (leaves pine needles twigs) I removed on top of slide inside after it was retracted.I do not think someone ever cleaned it off before retracting.As far a sagging I have used a under inflated beach ball used a stick and placed it in the middle of the slide inflated just enough for support
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Pros-Slide toppers keep debris off the slide, keep the slide cooler, and protect the top of the slide seal. Cons-I've heard that they flap in a strong wind. We have slide toppers and have yet to experience the flapping in 4 years. Get 'em and you'll be a happy camper not having to sweep your slides off every time with a broom.
Our single slide has a topper. Never had a problem with it in 2-1/2 years.

Last weekend we we on the Outer Banks with steady 20+ mph winds, gusting to 35. At that point I pulled in the slide just to be safe.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #27

Per my Father-in-laws advice, I had it negotiated into my out the door price on my 26X1. Dealer installed them before pick up and they came out very nice. So far so good, I don't think I would want to deal with cleaning off the top of the slide out every time I pack up.
bwalsh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #28

Ive read people complaining when they are open on a windy day, they make a lot of noise inside.We never purchase them! Happy Trails
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #29

Most people out here don't have them FWIW.

Not sure if that's because we get horrific amounts of wind on the plains, or if it's just a regional preference.

I thought about getting them on ours, but ultimately put a bunch of other items ahead of it on the mod list that I'll be lucky to ever get through.

I fully admit I don't understand the value in having a topper covered with wet leaves vs. the slide. I'm going to have to remove them in both cases.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #30

I got two of them within a month of getting my 2005 Greyhawk 14 years ago. I have never heard them popping or flapping in the wind. As old as they are they are stretched a little so that when I close them after a rain water does run off the side but off the side. Or off the front where the debris falls off. Only one time I had a problem was when a snow fall of 11 inches snuck up on me in the middle of the night and I did have to go up an remove the snow. But I have seen a ton (well quite a few pounds) of pines needles and cones, leaves, dust, etc. fall off which I would have had to sweep. So do you think I like them and would recommend them?
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #31

We just camped in 8 inches of snow in Santa Fe. In our Premier that snow would have slid right off the slide awning. Guess what? We had to get the ladder and the broom!! Can hardly wait to get those toppers.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #32

Amazon has several different brands of toppers. Do any of you have a preference in brands. Or brand(s) to stay away from? Appreciate any opinions.
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #33

It's a good question. Most I hear of are Dometic and Carefree.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
While shopping I noticed that many motorhomes were sold with slide toppers. The 29 MV we have put deposit on does not have them. Are they worth it and helpful in keeping the slides clean? We will likely be camping in wooded areas.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Check out my slide toppers. Yes they are VERY worth it unless you like climbing a latter and sweeping the junk off the slide out before you put the slide in. Also, rain...... etc. Check out my reference below.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...tml#post444648

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #35

Wouldn't be without them. I have never had to clean my toppers. When I pull the slide in, any garbage on the topper just falls off. If you camp anywhere under trees you will appreciate the benefits of a topper.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #36

When purchased our Greyhawk 31DS after I negotiated the price, I told them I would take IF they install 2 slide topper....he said I don't think they will go for that, I said well then we're done.....guess what I have 2 free topper they make so much money even when you get a great deal
Dansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #37

Slide Toppers come with either the aluminum shield strip across the very top of the slides (next to the coach) or not. That aluminum strip helps protect the canvas (from the sun) on the topper when the slides are rolled in.

When we were preparing to have the toppers installed, The toppers with the aluminum shield were seriously considered as part of the install.

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #38

I have a 2017 Greyhawk 26Y with two slides. The dealer has indicated that he can install a topper over the large slide, but can't over the rear queen bed (smaller) slide because it is too close to the main awning. I understand that, I'm just trying to decide whether or not to add the one topper. It seems like if I'd just install one topper, I'd get the disadvantages of having a topper coupled with the disadvantages of not having one. (Plus my slides wouldn't "match")

Can anyone think of any advantages to having a topper on only one slide?
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #39

Of course this is just my opinion, but in the last month we've dealt with snow, rain and today cottonwood fluff without toppers. We had to remove the snow with a broom, dry off the slides, and clean the fluff off with a brush before we could close them. Maybe we would have had to dust a little fluff off of the toppers; but as far as the snow and rain, we could have just closed up. Trust me, you want the topper, even if it's only one. As we said before, we've had toppers before; so we know what it's like to want and not have. We will be getting them ASAP, but I fear it won't be until the end of this camping season.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #40

I have topper on my greyhawk....i retracted my slide in moderate rain....we had to go, all we had to do is wipe the side the top was dry.....I can only imagine what mess it would make if we didn't have them, for snow and rain if it freeze then you need to melt that before retracting....but I won't extend them if those condition exist...
Dansy is offline   Reply With Quote