Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Slide Weather Stripping Problem ?

When my slide is fully extended the weather stripping at the top comes away from the side of the slide. It's hard to tell from the photos but the weather stripping starts to come away from the side of the slide half way up. Almost like the slide is crooked ? Looks like the entire slide needs to be adjusted ? Can this be done ?

Has anyone had a similar problem ?
Thanks

2015 Greyhawk 31 ds
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0710.jpg   IMGP0711.jpg   IMGP0712.jpg  
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #2

It looks like to me that the slide seal flap - the part that touches the slide, not unlike the edge of a windshield wiper - just moves in or out a bit as the slide moves in or out. I'm not seeing a problem.

If your slide when closed evenly compresses the gasket on the outside and when open evenly compresses the gasket on the inside then likely your slide does not need adjustment. You might ask that your dealer check the slide adjustment the next time you go in for maintenance or repairs for confirmation.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

You say " when it's fully extended", what does it look like when it's only half way out. Check what the other side looks like both half and all the way out. Is the wall square and straight and measure all 4 corners when it's fully extended. By that I mean from the trailer edge to the extended trailer edge.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
snip..... You might ask that your dealer check the slide adjustment the next time you go in for maintenance or repairs for confirmation.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

I have a 2013 Melbourne 29D, which had a leak, due to seal not fully sealing at the top (rear) when extended (looked similar to your picture). Talked to Paul Martin at Jayco, and they send shims to my repair shop to be installed. They actually installed 3 shims to square it up. This was last year, 6 months after I purchased, have not had any problem since.
hknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

What does the top seal look like? If the slide was out of square you would see multiple areas where the slide seal is more compressed and also further away from the slide. If it is truly square you should see equal touching of the seals all the way around the three sides which you obiously do not have.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #7

Thank You for all your comments. I guess the problem is that the slide is not squared off. It looks like this can be repaired using shims. I'm off to the dealership shortly armed with my newly acquired knowledge.

I asked the salesman if the slides should be extended even if the motor home wasn't level ??? He said it was no big deal !!! After reading the manual I noticed a WARNING stating not to operate the slides unless the motor home was level.
Nothing drives me more crazy then a salesman who has no idea how to operate the product he's trying to sell. Most likely the slides were misaligned while they used the slides when the motor home was not level.
Thanks again !

Aurele Daigle
Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Figured out that the motor home was really not level ? Even after using the AUTO leveling. The problem was that the motor home was actually lifting off the ground quite a bit which I believe placed a lot of strain on the frame. It was most likely sagging in the middle of the frame. I leveled the MH manually which kept the wheels from leaving the ground. Slides are now good.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

My rubber slide out seals are attached to the slide out itself. One has actually pulled loose when I opened the slide. I think due to the heat and being compressed, it stuck as the slide out was being extended and pulled about 12 inches out of the track. I am unable to get it back in to the track for a variety of reasons. Will have to go back in to the dealer for repair. I see that your gasket is attached to the sidewall of your unit and not the slide out room. I have noticed this on other units and I think this is a much better approach. Will have to use the unit the next couple of weeks as is until I can get back in to the dealer. Should not be a problem since the unit will be opened up and sealed from the inside.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote