Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Slideout alignment

So I spent the weekend looking for a source of moisture in my unit. I had hoped it was actually coming from the cooling unit in my Coleman Coolatron. I was able to rule that out so the hunt continued. After I had layered Eternabond over all my roof joints and applied new caulk to every possible opening, I discovered the actual problem.

My fridge side slide is out of alignment. When it pulls in, the top comes properly into contact with the side of the unit. But then as the bottom draws in, it pushes the top back out. The top seal actually loses contact with the side of the unit now which is allowing for water intrusion. The good news is that the intrusion has been limited and was soaked up by mats that I had on the floor. So there has been no actual damage that I can locate. The water was on the roof of the slide and flowed towards the cab. I have been able to temporarily alleviate the issue by releasing the pressure on the bottom. This is ok for storage, but I would not want to travel without the slide fully seated.

Does anyone know how to adjust the alignement of the slide. Or is this a job better left to the professionals? Or perhaps, should I be looking at installing thicker seals???

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #2

I'm not sure on the slide adjustment but do you use slide locks when you drive? I know some slides use them and some don't.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/American...BoCwHgQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
I'm not sure on the slide adjustment but do you use slide locks when you drive? I know some slides use them and some don't.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/American...BoCwHgQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the thought. But they are not needed on these slides and could worsen the problem if I installed them up high. We are in for 4 days of rain so I will quickly find out if my temporary fix works. I Guess I am calling the dealer tomorrow and find out how good my extended warranty is

Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #4

Sorry pictures did not come out well but you will need to lay on your belly and look under the couch for the 4 nylok nuts,2 on each slide rail mechanism, loosen those and you can tilt the slide in and out, we would run the slide about halfway out so the balance was neutral, you will need a very long extension to reach them, it can be a little aggravating because a little movement goes a long way, we have used slidelocks since day one to keep the tops snug with no issues
Attached Thumbnails
20170802_065335.jpg   20170802_065523.jpg  
Greyhawk 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk 666 View Post
Sorry pictures did not come out well but you will need to lay on your belly and look under the couch for the 4 nylok nuts,2 on each slide rail mechanism, loosen those and you can tilt the slide in and out, we would run the slide about halfway out so the balance was neutral, you will need a very long extension to reach them, it can be a little aggravating because a little movement goes a long way, we have used slidelocks since day one to keep the tops snug with no issues
Perfect thanks!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #6

Suggest marking the location of the adjustments before you make them so that you can return easily to the original adjustment if needed.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote