Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Slideout cam bearings issue

Just wanted to point this out for anyone that has the slides. I have a 31FS and have now had multiple issues with the cam bearings on the slides. I believe there are 4 on each rail and only 2 on each rail that are visible. There should be 2 rails on each slideout.

I have had 3 now come completely out. 2 of which have dropped right on the floor and I just happened to notice them. One has disappeared into the ether.

It looks like Jayco didn't use any loctite on them and they back out over time. I can't figure out how to access them in any convenient way, but will be investigating tomorrow since ours goes out for a rental on Thursday.

They are held on with a single nut to the threaded shank bearing. You can check them by putting the slide out and pulling down the weather stripping around the main rails and look back there. You should see the roller on each side of the rail. They are not the flat long rollers.

Link to what these look like:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...hoCc48QAvD_BwE
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #2

So, I had one person PM me they also have this issue. Does nobody else have a problem with this? I'd be really surprised. None of the cam rollers appear to have any loctite on them.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Fog, I want to thank you for the heads up with this issue. I haven't had any problem with my 2017, but will be alert for this issue. I have gone under and visualized the rollers and see what looks like standard grease in them. But good to know they can back out. We're going on a trip the last week of August so I will examine them as close as possible. Maybe it might be possible to mark the cam roller and the adjoining frame to detect if it's backing out? I don't know, but thanks again.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #4

Ok, if they do back out I have been able to re-install them but its a huge pain. A couple of them can be re-torqued down with a long extension, but some can't because there is something in the way. Then, you have to use a ratcheting wrench. If you have a fine tooth gear ratchet wrench it may make it doable without removing the wrench and clocking it 3 clicks and re-inserting.

There is no way to directly access it without removing the entire slide, other than the long extension (and a swivel socket) and then the straight ratchet wrench.

Lippert said I should take it to the dealer. Mine is out of warranty and I'm kinda PO'd that a non maintenance item is completely backing out.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

I found this on the Lippert site. Is it the same or different than yours?

https://store.lci1.com/88-cam-follower-368304.html

Was just wondering if it might be possible to drill a strategic hole to access it. Then cover it with something.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

That does look like the same piece. You'd have to drill a lot of holes or cut a large flap style door under it to get access. The slide is an above floor slide, so basically you'd be cutting the floor.

You can sort of tell when one or more of these are missing. The slide rocks more when going in and out. I found other bolts that were looking like they were coming out as well. I couldn't tell if they were position bolts that are there for adjusting the slide. Those bolts are right behind the rollers.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
It looks like Jayco didn't use any loctite on them and they back out over time. I can't figure out how to access them in any convenient way, but will be investigating tomorrow since ours goes out for a rental on Thursday.
That probably comes to JAYCO from LIPPERT already assembled. They just attach the hat assembly to the bottom of the slide-out.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws..._assembly_.pdf
Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #8

Good point Grumpy. Thanks for that PDF. I printed that one out. Fog, between your use and the rental use, how many times do you think those slides have been cycled? Trying to get some idea of when it will happen. I know it's just a guess. I can't activate the slides on my property; nothing level enough. But I'm gonna be all over it during our trip later this month.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
So, I had one person PM me they also have this issue. Does nobody else have a problem with this? I'd be really surprised. None of the cam rollers appear to have any loctite on them.
Yes, I have had this problem on my ‘15 31FS. Lost 3 of them on my bunk slide, and 1-2 on the couch slide. It caused a problem on the bunk slide to where it became out of alignment and would no longer retract properly....then actually broke a shear pin which made it inoperable. Found them one by one on the ground under the slide. Absolutely no lock-tite.

I let my dealer deal with it, as they said initially the slide would have to be removed to fix. They did not have to remove the slide, and if I recall were able to access by removing the bottom trim piece where the bunk section meets the floor. They did say it was a real PITA!! It’s been a season and a half, and so far everything has been smooth.
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #10

I had one come off also. This was the living room slide. I got lucky and spotted it stuck to the rubber slide seal. I had somebody else reinstall it and he did mention it was a real bugger to get in. He may have gone in through the cover in the baggage compartment behind the battery. This cover also provides access to the slide motor. 2015 29MV
Old 08-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Good point Grumpy. Thanks for that PDF. I printed that one out. Fog, between your use and the rental use, how many times do you think those slides have been cycled? Trying to get some idea of when it will happen. I know it's just a guess. I can't activate the slides on my property; nothing level enough. But I'm gonna be all over it during our trip later this month.
I do between 10-15 rentals a year. This year is less because it is paid off now. I'm not sure it is tied to the number of times. It could be. Depending on how it was assembled at Lippert (no loctite, etc), YMMV. I think most rentals would use the slides between 3-4 times total. So estimating on the high side we've probably used them probably 250-280 times.

Lippert is sending me replacement nuts for it.

I figured it wasn't just me that was having the issue. This seems like a manufacturing concern for Lippert. Wrong type of fastener, not enough torque or complete lack of any loctite for that joint. Not sure what the deal is, but given it is so hard to get them back in......

BTW, I also noticed the area was loose where the tracks actually bolt to the slide. Bolts are coming loose as well. Might want to check those.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #12

When you get the nuts, post here what they gave you. Might be metal or nylock lock nuts. I think some blue locktite would be a good idea. I'm already thinking about how I might remove that slide myself if need be. So I'm going to put a lot of work into studying that. Thinking a forklift with some wood cribbing on it might fit the ticket. I wonder if anyone has ever seen the dealer do it, or the factory do it.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #13

Apparently this issue continues

Glad to have found this post. I have a 2019 Greyhawk 31F with full wall slide out. I also recently discovered loose cam bearings under the slide out while cleaning up all the mysterious things that end up down there. Went hunting and found 3 that were no longer attached to anything. My shop is suggesting the slide has to come out to replace them which will cost thousands ($8-10K here in Bay Area). I'm over mileage on Jayco 2 year warranty and they don't want to cover it. Simply seems like a terrible installation with no lock tite as others have mentioned, as there is no evidence of it on the loose cams. I'm hoping to learn a way to replace these without removing the slide AND to continue the dialogue and documentation for others because this is apparently a an ongoing issue with either the design (Lippert) or the install (Jayco).

On a side note, when this RV was only a few months old the cabinetry at the dinette seat was scraping the vinyl flooring when the slide tilted to move in/out. Jayco had the shop install a plastic roller under that cabinet which didn't solve the problem and now rubs the vinyl in a different spot which is getting wear marks already. I removed and reinstalled the seat end 1/4" higher to fix it. Makes me wonder if cams had already come out and that is why the slide does so much tilting as it operates.
FergaRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #14

If you want to remove the slide yourself, there is a company called Auto Body Toolmart that makes steel dollies with wheels that could potentially hold a slide once removed. Visit Auto Body Toolmart They have various sizes and are adjustable as well. I would go for this before I hand anyone 10 Grand. My 31 FS is sold now and this potential issue was a factor in that. On their site their called Champ body dollies. Or, with some 4x4's you could even build your own. On youtube their is a video of how to raise the front(inside) of the slide to access rollers but I don't know if it would work on the 31FS.