Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Slideout Toppers on Redhawk 26XD?

So we're picking up our new 26XD this week and decided to installed the toppers ourselves because it's relatively straight forward and the dealership wanted almost $700 per topper installed! Which is a lot in my opinion. Anyway, looking over the camper I noticed the queen bed slideout has the track for the topper's fabric built into the gutter but the main living/dining slide (larger slide) on the drivers side doesn't have one. Jayco recommends them but it seems the space to install the fabric rail is really tight at the top. Has anybody installed them or had them installed on their 26XD? The greyhawks seem to have this rail in theirs..
jwhalen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

Slideout toppers

I installed them on my 2016 26X1. I did not use the tracks provided by Jayco. I had one on the kitchen slideout as well. They go on fairly easily, but you"ve got to be very careful with your measurement on the queen slideout because of very minimal clearance with the awning. At least I did. could be different on later models. good luck.
busdriver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

See my queen slideout has the rack which I plan to use. My large slide for the dinette/couch doesn't have the track above it which I find weird. This slide has very little room between the gutter and top of the flange on the slide. Plus it has that flat bar slideout gutter thing as well.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Had slide toppers put on my 2017 26xd. The dining/couch slide is tight at the top. Was only able to get a little slope on that awning. The bed room slide has a nice slope. as someone stated , measure carefully as there is very little clearance to the awning arm.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

On our 2016 26xd the the rail for the gueen side topper is 3 and 1/2 inches above the existing rain guard. On the driver side go as high as possible because we sometimes have an issue with rain collecting in the topper.
gs750t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalen123 View Post
So we're picking up our new 26XD this week and decided to installed the toppers ourselves because it's relatively straight forward and the dealership wanted almost $700 per topper installed! Which is a lot in my opinion. Anyway, looking over the camper I noticed the queen bed slideout has the track for the topper's fabric built into the gutter but the main living/dining slide (larger slide) on the drivers side doesn't have one. Jayco recommends them but it seems the space to install the fabric rail is really tight at the top. Has anybody installed them or had them installed on their 26XD? The greyhawks seem to have this rail in theirs..
Had both slide toppers installed professionally on my Greyhawk 31DS. Well worth the $1200 installed. I was not sure of the clearance on my dinette slide as well, so I opted for the pro install. Again well worth it. I'm pretty handy, but this was on job I didn't want to screw up.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

Just to join in, we picked up our 2016 Greyhawk 26Y in January and it did not come with slide toppers on either bedroom or LR/DR slide outs. The bedroom slide has an awning rail already on and about 6 inches down from the roof line. Looks like a straight forward install is possible. However, there is very little space at the top of the LR slide to install a rail for a topper. Would like to hear other thoughts on how to install a LR topper with this minimum clearance. Thanks to all.
Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFalcon View Post
Had both slide toppers installed professionally on my Greyhawk 31DS. Well worth the $1200 installed. I was not sure of the clearance on my dinette slide as well, so I opted for the pro install. Again well worth it. I'm pretty handy, but this was on job I didn't want to screw up.
Do you have pictures of the mounting brackets? Originally I was concerned with the space to install the awning rail on the camper but I’m now seeing that the mounting point for the left bracket on the dinette slideout may be too small of an area for the bracket. I’m checking with the bracket manufacturer now to see if it can be trimmed to fit. If not, I’ll just buy/install the queen bed slideout and leave the dinette slide out to the professionals.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrimscher View Post
Just to join in, we picked up our 2016 Greyhawk 26Y in January and it did not come with slide toppers on either bedroom or LR/DR slide outs. The bedroom slide has an awning rail already on and about 6 inches down from the roof line. Looks like a straight forward install is possible. However, there is very little space at the top of the LR slide to install a rail for a topper. Would like to hear other thoughts on how to install a LR topper with this minimum clearance. Thanks to all.
Paul
Paul, the 26Y had the same floorplan as the 26XD you just have more features as it is the next model up. We almost bought one but just couldn’t swing the payments. But yeah, it’s super tight on multiple points on the large slide.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback, jwhalen. I hit the wrong key on the year.....it's a brand new 2018, not 2016. Think we'll do the BR topper and continue to think on the LR topper. Latest Camping World catalogue sez they will install for $91 which is pretty good unless there is a catch???
Paul
Old 05-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

Continuing the topper search and find that Solare by Lippert offers kit including brackets and all hardware whereas, with dometic Dometic you have to buy the brackets separate and runs the price up. Anyone used the Solare topper?
Paul
Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #12

Hi Schrimscher, are you able to install the slide topper? What is the size of bedroom and family room?
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

Bedroom topper installed

I installed the Solare topper on my 2018 26Y Greyhawk bedroom slide but holding off on the living room slide for now. Bedroom slide was 70 inches flange to flange so I ordered the Solare 6.5 foot and it fit fine. The living room slide is 138.5 inches so will go with the Solare 12 footer when the time comes. The 6.5 foot kit had all the hardware.
Paul
Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #14

Thanks Paul for info. I just got info about the slide from trailer. Is it easy to install them?
Attached Thumbnails
90026448-70CE-40C1-B5ED-6A3EA015B4C9.jpg   063A4613-8F0E-4CCF-8591-9FF316262114.jpg  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

I have contacted with jayco and the provide this info:

We cannot advise on adding the slide out awnings because it was not an option on the unit however the 2020 model year 26Y has a 131” and a 63” slide awning made by carefree of Colorado. You will need to contact a dealer for aftermarket parts.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
I have contacted with jayco and the provide this info:

We cannot advise on adding the slide out awnings because it was not an option on the unit however the 2020 model year 26Y has a 131” and a 63” slide awning made by carefree of Colorado. You will need to contact a dealer for aftermarket parts.
That sucks. I have the 2019 26Y and it was an option on ours.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #17

Hi I ran across your post and I have the same Class C as you. Did you ever end up finding some slide out awnings? If so, I'd love to find out what brand you go and what size for your bedroom and dinette area, as I was told the same thing that you were told when you called Jayco, so now I am stuck trying to find out what to do. Can you please get back with me to let me know what you ended up doing? Thank so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalen123 View Post
irresistible72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #18

I did install both bedroom and dinette slide topper on my greyhawk. The installation was not bad, but you need another person to help out. I ordered both slide topper from Amazon, and dinette slide topper got delay during shipment which Amazon gave me 70$ credit. I recommended to wait for it on sale if you are not in a rush to put it on. I bought mine in Oct and Dec. I wish I buy the 145" instead of 139" which currently I had. It just covered the slide. I will upload the dinette one later.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-04-30_05-35-37.jpg   2020-04-30_05-34-04.jpg  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #19

Here is my bedroom slide topper, I will upload the dinette one later.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7345.jpg   IMG_7344.jpg   IMG_7343.jpg  

Tags
awnings, redhawk 26xd, slide out toppers