Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #41

If anyone with eyes on that solenoid in question sees a part# (not sure if the Grainger part posted by alazear is exact or not) could they please post it. My dealer might not warranty anything under the hood. Mine is not bad but the posts came stripped out from the factory making the trick-l-start installation an electrical tape and added nut mess of a repair that likely won't hold. Thanks in advance.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #42

No I'm not getting 14.2 volts to the top large post even when the lower large post and the smaller upper post are getting 14.2 volts. So, I think the relay must be bad. If I remove the wire on the upper post with the engine running, I get 0.0 v.

One question I do have though is how is this 3 post relay grounded? It is mounted to the steel framing of the engine bay via a piece of angled + painted aluminum. Thus, there is no adequate grounding through the frame of the unit if that is where it is suppose to be grounded through??? I wonder if it is not operating properly due to the fact it is not grounded properly so then it cannot turn on? I need to go try that and make my own ground and see.

The relay part number is #120-105851-6 [see pictures for more details]

I also found these .pdf's via the Granger Link which describes the various types in more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0159.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6C017_1.pdf (307.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 6C017_2.pdf (296.1 KB, 5 views)
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #43

The relay does not need to be grounded to work. It does require a ground on one of the small terminals for the relay to energize. 12 volts on one small terminal will go through a small coil to the other small terminal where it connects to ground. That completes the circuit that energizes the relay.

If you can measure across both small studs and read 12 volts with the ignition on, you are supplying it with what is needed. If the 2 big studs aren't being connected together when you are supplying the above power, the relay is bad. That is what happened to my stock one in my Greyhawk. It may have even been the same one you showed.

Even if the relay is bad you still should read each battery's voltage at each big terminal. You may have 2 problems here. The relay could be bad plus the resettable fuse may have tripped.

Keep on trying. You are getting close.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #44

Just made my own ground off the unit's body, no change in behavior.

Then out of curiosity I put both large wires on just the lower post, effectively bypassing the unit, and suddenly got 14.2 volts charging the coach batteries.

I'm pretty sure my unit is bad since all other parts of the system seem to be doing their job. I'll be replacing it soon. Doesn't look too expensive and I don't want my rig sitting at a dealer for weeks while they get around to it under warranty. Call me impatient.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #45

Hi Jim,

There are only 3 total posts on my unit. 2 big posts and 1 small. Still unclear where the ground is.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #46

Pretty sure this is my exact unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Termi...CSHWEZC6NXXB1S
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #47
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
Hi Jim,

There are only 3 total posts on my unit. 2 big posts and 1 small. Still unclear where the ground is.
The ground comes through the mounting bracket when you screw it to the L shaped bracket, the second post is hidden, and it grounds through the bracket.. It definitely sounds like the relay is no good.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho...20Brochure.pdf

Quote:
Pretty sure this is my exact unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Termi...CSHWEZC6NXXB1S
That certainly looks like it will work. The part number cross references to it.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #48

The ground comes through the mounting bracket when you screw it to the l shaped bracket.. It definitely sounds like the relay is no good.

Good to know about the ground. I agree, mine is bad. Unless I'm missing something, I'm going to order one.

Thanks for the help all. Very much appreciated. I thought I had a much larger problem i.e. not having enough juice overall in my batteries. Turns out, they were just not being charged by the alternator while on the road. No wonder they ran out of juice when not plugged in to shore power or running the generator.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #49
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Good to know about the ground. I agree, mine is bad. Unless I'm missing something, I'm going to order one.
I believe yours is bad. Doing some searching around, it's not a isolated problem, many others have experienced it.... what a surprise...

Looks like another spare part to order and add to the tool box...
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
No wonder they ran out of juice when not plugged in to shore power or running the generator.
Running the generator should have charged the batteries (unless you didn't run it long enough). This relay only makes them charge from the engine. Charging from the generator should go through the converter, same as being plugged into shore power. Did you put a meter on the batteries to see if the voltage goes up when you fire up the genny?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #51

Sorry if my last post was confusing, easy to do discussing this electrical stuff.

The batteries are charging fine via shore power and are also charging fine via the generator. My only charging problem is with the alternator to the house batteries. [Chassis battery is also charging fine.] As you stated, pretty sure my unit is bad.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #52

Quote:
The ground comes through the mounting bracket when you screw it to the l shaped bracket.. It definitely sounds like the relay is no good.

Thanks for the help all. Very much appreciated. I thought I had a much larger problem i.e. not having enough juice overall in my batteries. Turns out, they were just not being charged by the alternator while on the road. No wonder they ran out of juice when not plugged in to shore power or running the generator.
I know this part is cheap but I called jayco motorized and told them my issue and that my service center is over 3 hours away. They are sending me one to my house right away. If you have not ordered yet just call them.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Our Seneca has nothing similar... I can start up the chassis and let it warm up while Stacy is bringing in the slides before retracting our leveling jacks.
I’m not sure about the slides, but I know our awning will not retract with engine running on our 2918 Seneca. This has frustrated me several times.

I do start engine before retracting levelers.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I know this part is cheap but I called jayco motorized and told them my issue and that my service center is over 3 hours away. They are sending me one to my house right away. If you have not ordered yet just call them.
Oh well, I had already ordered one from Amazon to put in the "Spare Parts" bin in the rig.... That bin is really starting to fill up...
Old 06-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #55

Sorry to post this question here but can't figure out how to put in a new post on this site. New here. I have a Greyhawk 30x and trying to figure out the best and easiest way to get my cover on without carrying it up the ladder. I have kidney disease so dont have a huge amount of strength.
Campingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #56
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingforlife View Post
Sorry to post this question here but can't figure out how to put in a new post on this site. New here. I have a Greyhawk 30x and trying to figure out the best and easiest way to get my cover on without carrying it up the ladder. I have kidney disease so dont have a huge amount of strength.
Regarding the new post, go to the sub forum you want to post (in this case, it's the Class C subforum) and click on the Black "new thread" button.

Regarding getting the cover up, I tie a rope on mine, climb up the ladder, then pull it up by the rope. A lot safer than going up the ladder with it.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Oh well, I had already ordered one from Amazon to put in the "Spare Parts" bin in the rig.... That bin is really starting to fill up...

I think we may have this conversation before but in my 20 yrs experience of camping the most important thing to keep in that bin besides engine fluids is the RV air conditioning capacitors (at least in the south). Ask me how I know.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #58
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I think we may have this conversation before but in my 20 yrs experience of camping the most important thing to keep in that bin besides engine fluids is the RV air conditioning capacitors (at least in the south). Ask me how I know.
I don't think it's come up in discussion before, but that's a good idea...

Off to buy some MORE parts for the parts bin...
Old 06-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #59

Success. Installed the new 3 pole solenoid from Amazon I listed above [I'm sure I could have also got one from Jayco for free] and I am now getting 14.3 v. charging at the coach batteries, as it should. The nice thing is the coach batteries are charging the same both with the coach power light [red light switch] in the on or off position, doesn't seem to matter. Looks like it is operating as it should now.

Thanks for help all, especially Retired One and Jim D., much appreciated.

Adam
Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #60
Lost in the Woods

Glad that solved the issue, hopefully your batteries weren't hurt when they were run down. My coach batteries charge both ways too, doesn't matter if the red light is on. If the engine is running, they're charging.

Thanks for posting the Amazon link and picture to the relay. I ordered one too, and it came today... another part for the spare parts bin.