Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Slides out in windy conditions.

Hello all. I'm in quartzsite and the winds are hitting 30 - 35 mph. Any problem leaving the slides out? I have a redhawk 26xd
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can only speak from when I've been under similar high wind conditions and never had issues with the slide(s) extended at the campsite.

Had an all day high wind condition in New Mexico a number of years ago with 35mph - 40mph winds hitting the side of my TT...., at the end of the day I noticed that my tongue jack had moved a couple inches on the wood block base. The next day I went out a purchased a set of BAL locking tire chocks!

Now, high winds with large hail I do close the slide(s) to protect the slide roof.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello all. I'm in quartzsite and the winds are hitting 30 - 35 mph. Any problem leaving the slides out? I have a redhawk 26xd
Do you have slide toppers?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

No, no toppers.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Do you have slide toppers?
Good question.......

In my case I made a PVC support for my topper that aids in managing wind and heavy rain issues. It breaks down for easy storage.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

We were camped in the Nevada desert with 50mph winds one night and we left outs out until I went to bed and the topper on the bed slide was flapping so much I couldnt sleep so we pulled them in. Without a topper you should be fine. Rustic Eagle, I do like your idea for the topper braces but they are up pretty high on our Seneca!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Good question.......

In my case I made a PVC support for my topper that aids in managing wind and heavy rain issues. It breaks down for easy storage.

Bob
Those are really nice, Bob. Have you filed for a patent?

And back to you, OP. We are just 90 miles east of you at home and the winds are finally beginning to calm down so there is hope.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:50 AM   #8

We have "weathered" a couple of monster thunderstorms and wind events with our Seneca. Our standard procedure is now legs down and slides in, when in the path of a monster storm. Has worked very well! Your results may differ.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Site Team

If you camp a lot, you will see all manner of improvised methods of supporting the slider fabric.
I have tried a few and even bought a short lived product that looked like a pool floatie, It was called "The Air Wedge". BTW, they can be had for a great price, I still have 2 of them.

We have pulled our slides in only once when a storm was blowing hard from the front and our slides were vibrating like a banjo string. It was just to get some sleep.
Now hail is another story, it will shred them along with the awning and skylights.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We have "weathered" a couple of monster thunderstorms and wind events with our Seneca. Our standard procedure is now legs down and slides in, when in the path of a monster storm. Has worked very well! Your results may differ.
Same here... After experiencing the blowing rain along with the bedroom slide topper flapping all night - sleep is more important than roominess and comfort of the Seneca, especially when we have another day of crossing state borders starting bright and early the next morning.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Sam

Three years ago we were in Myrtle Beach during their 100 year rain and flooding event. We were camped about 300 feet from the ocean in a very nice RV park, with little flooding near our RV. The rain and wind was the worst I have ever encountered. We tucked all the slides out in and rode it outs with no problems or leaks. I have often said, if the Seneca did not leak through that, it will never leak. The Seneca was about six months old at that time. We have also drawn in the slides in heavy wind. In fact we did this three nights ago in the Kerrville, TX area because of strong wind, probably did not need to but better save than sorry. I am a believer of preventive action especially with slide toppers in the wind. I like the toppers but in strong wind I am concerned about damage and they are so noisy.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #12

Thanks WinnieView. You gave me a good tip for the ride out; take the Phoenix Bypass. Nice road- no traffic.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #13

I have the same model RV as you, a 26 xd.

We have been in a few storms including a micro burst and had no problem with the slide outs. Make sure your jacks are down enough to get the weight off the springs and you should be very stable.

I will note that during the micro burst the wind was hitting the rv directly at the rear slide out (it was extended). It did well with no leaks but we got a lot of water in through the heating unit.

Alan
galline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #14

Slide topper bird nest

Last year, we camped six weeks in the same campground. When we ran the slides in, we discovered that a bird had made a nest under our slide topper. The nest jammed up the topper roller and took several of us on ladders to get everything back in shape. Next time we're in one place for more than a couple of days, I'll definitely be checking under the toppers before running the slides in.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

We have had coaches with slide toppers and without. To protect the toppers, we retract the slides when winds of 40+ mph begin. Without toppers, we up that to 50+ mph before we bring in the slides. Rain volume and location of the coach (exposed, somewhat protected, etc.) are also factors. Bottom line - it is a judgment call. We like to err on the side of safety. - Rob
roblaura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #16

We ran into some 40+ winds in Blythe a few years back at night and had to pull over to a truck stop. I made sure to park so the wind was not hitting the side of the trailer with the slides. I think my truck still has sand in the bed from that night. When we woke up in the morning, we were surrounded by trucks. I didn't even hear them pull in throughout the night and neither did my kids - the wind was so loud. I think those trucks blocked most of the wind for us that night. If you are in the desert and not in a park, I would just try and move so your slides are protected - with a corner of the trailer pointed toward the wind.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #17

No, that’s no problem.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Good question.......

Bob

Awesome!! I'm making a set for my Precept!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 AM   #19

If you are in a sandy area, I say pull in the slides, because the slide seals are not
as good as when the slide is in travel mode.
The main thing is if the rig is still usable with the slide in.
Some times you can just pull in the bedroom slide.
On my toy hauler with the slide in you can not use the kitchen.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #20
Site Team

When we were traveling out west I left the slide out and of course being in Western Kansas and the winds were against the curb side and well above 30MPH. I noticed that there was some rocking to the TT, so I pulled the slide in and the rocking stopped. I had 4 scissors jacks under the TT and the TT's stabilizers down. When we got to Colorado, I sent JAYCO an email asking their thoughts. The responded that the slide, being out disrupts the TT's center of balance (500 - 1000lbs) and they recommended that I pull the slide in when ever there is a chance of high winds. There is also a chance that the winds coming from the right direction, with the slide out could tip the TT. Needless to say, WIND=SLIDE IN, may even automate that process one day.

No rocking since
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote