Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

Slight shock from tire valve stem

I was visiting my Greyhawk this past weekend to see how she is faring this winter. She is parked outside at a friend's place though permanently plugged into 110 (shore power) keeping coach battery charged. We planned on taking it out for a drive just to keep engine healthy so i turned on my TPMS and noted a couple tires needed air.

Here is the situation, in filling the back driver outside dually (sitting on the ground) I noticed a slight shock sensation (bare hand) when I touched the valve stem... not like 110v, but maybe like 12v. At this time it was still plugged into shore power and I had the jacks down to exercise them as well. I know that the 12v system is grounded to the MH frame but not much more than that. I thought that the valve stem had a rubber seal where it contacts the wheel rim, so this is what confused me. Any ideas on what is causing this or if I should be concerned?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone

This may help you understand what potentially is happening.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #3

The only time I experienced this before was caused by a lack of ground connection at the 110 volt outlet where the RV was plugged in.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Always do a polarity check before plugging in. This would be special the case if cords are repaired by new ends etc. Away from home this is even more important as many DIY think they are know what they are doing.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

TPMS sensors only have a 3 volt battery in them, too low to feel. Sounds more likely you don't have a good solid ground through the power cord you're using. Might check your power with a polarity checker, which will also show grounding problems due to worn out contacts.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #6

All my valve stems are rubber through the rim, they don't conduct electricity.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfraser01 View Post
The only time I experienced this before was caused by a lack of ground connection at the 110 volt outlet where the RV was plugged in.
x2

One time I had our last camper hooked up to an outlet that was installed in a greenhouse, which was fed via an extension cord from the main house, and that cord didn't have a ground wire. Every time DW went to open the door she would get a light zap / tingle sensation.

Ended up driving a grounding rod next to the greenhouse and wired that to the outlet to fix it

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

open ground x3
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

Is it repeatable?
In other words, does it happen every time, or just the one time?

If it's every time, start by disconnecting the power, see if it stops. If it does, it's possibly a ground fault.

If it was just once, I'd suggest a static discharge...especially if it was cold/dry.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
I was visiting my Greyhawk this past weekend to see how she is faring this winter. She is parked outside at a friend's place though permanently plugged into 110 (shore power) keeping coach battery charged. We planned on taking it out for a drive just to keep engine healthy so i turned on my TPMS and noted a couple tires needed air.

Here is the situation, in filling the back driver outside dually (sitting on the ground) I noticed a slight shock sensation (bare hand) when I touched the valve stem... not like 110v, but maybe like 12v. At this time it was still plugged into shore power and I had the jacks down to exercise them as well. I know that the 12v system is grounded to the MH frame but not much more than that. I thought that the valve stem had a rubber seal where it contacts the wheel rim, so this is what confused me. Any ideas on what is causing this or if I should be concerned?
most likely if it was just you touching only the TPS and it is isolated it would be discharge from static electricity..

to test to see if it is something else... touch the metal frame to discharge any static electricity, then touch it again, if you get a shock there is a ground fault, if not then it is normal miserable winter static electricity... if you have cloth seats in your car you are more susceptible to static... that is why they have warnings on the gas pumps...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote