Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Slow gas tank fill on 2018 Greyhawk 30X (cause?)

Hi,

Our 2018 Greyhawk 30X gas tank fills mostly at a dead crawl; but occasionally at a normal speed if I "fool around" with the vapor return line connected to the fill tube.

I would like to understand the cause fully here before trying to fix it permanently. To my eye the fill tube *may* be mounted twisted to normal.

Does anyone have any experience here?

Thanks for your time,
Tom
5BoysBetweenUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

From Motorhome Magazine:

"This is a fairly common problem. Your fuel filler vent tube is probably pinched, or there’s a low spot that fills up with gasoline and blocks the venting action, which backs up fuel and causes the gas pump to kick off. Crawl under the motorhome so you can get a view of the fuel filler neck; a flashlight will be helpful here. Look for the vent hose, which is smaller than the filler hose, and check for sag that might trap fuel, or a place where the hose gets pinched or has a kink in it. If you replace any hose, make sure you use neoprene hose rated for gasoline, not coolant hose."

Hope it helps.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #3

Re-orient gas fill tube assembly?

Thanks Murff,

I have been under the coach and the is no pinching, but the vent hose does sag down even with the fill hose at one spot.

I have twisted the vapor hose to run on top of the fill hose for as much as it's run as possible, and cable-tied it to stay. But, if it gets wet under there or, over time, it looks like it could twist back. It's not a solution I am happy pulling up to a busy pump with. And, I still have to prove it actually helps the situation.

What I did notice is that the entire fill tube seems twisted; a line between the fill tube and the vapor tube on the filler neck assembly does not result in a vertical line; the vapor tube is going off the filler tube assembly at about a 30 degree angle. This makes the vapor hose "want to" run low and sag.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has fixed the situation by removing the filler neck flange from the outside mounting housing (3 or 4 screws at the flange), twisted it vertical so the vapor line runs vertical to the filler tube, and screwed it back onto the housing?

I'm wondering whether the flange is glued/stuck to the housing in any way; and any precautions one might take working at the gas tank fill point (beyond thorough grounding and a clean rag in the inlet).

Thanks,
Tom
5BoysBetweenUs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slow gas tank fill