Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

small breaker panel

OK, been have a issue with the small breaker panel by the electrical panel located under the bed, does anyone know how it is fed, it has lost power once yesterday and now this morning, it has just started happening since we got here, never happened before, I looked and looked to try to follow the wire but it is impossible to get to the area where it goes under the coach, what I did to get it back on was to turn off the pedestal breaker and start the generator, then the transfer switch kicked in and the panel came back on, and the when I stopped the generator and turned the pedestal breaker back on the panel stayed on, does anyone know or have a clue as to how it is wired, does it come from the transfer switch, or does anyone have a diagram of the electrical on a seneca 37FS

Old 10-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

it is fed by the transfer switch. Pedestal to transfer switch to panel. To me sounds like the breaker on the pedestal tripped, but the handle didn't move, so when you turned it off you reset it. Only other issue could be a bad transfer switch or loose plug.

Just my thinking.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

This is the drawing for the inverter load center. the first 20 amp fuse is from the inverter
the 15 amp is the tvs
and the last 20 is the microwave.
The power is from the inverter.

The power comes into the coach in two ways
either from the shore power post or from the generator, this feeds the transfer switch, this then feeds the combination 12/120 power circuit box. From there power goes to the inverter. The inverter then feeds the number one circuit breaker. This circuit breaker then feeds the other two breakers which are the tv or microwave circuits. Killing the number one circuit breaker will kill power to the tv and microwave. killing number two just the tv and number 3 just the microwave.

Killing the 20 amp breaker in the 12/120 panel will also kill all the power to the tv and microwave and inverter.

My guess is that your transfer switch is starting to stick. I know that the transfer switch is generator favorable( if you have shore power and generator it will power the coach from the generator) but I not sure what the normal position is. ie if there is no power to the unit at all is the switch normally closed to generator or to shore power. If it happens again i would consider having the switch inspected as it is possibly arcing and fusing into the generator setting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0049316_A_1_021213.pdf (70.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf 0049316_A_2_021213.pdf (63.6 KB, 45 views)
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

As grumpy mentions the post might be the issue as well. If you have a progressive surge unit you can observe that you have the correct power to the unit.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

no, sir, I reset the breaker, and it did not come back on, it didn't come back on till I started the generator and the stopped the gen and then turned the power back on at the pedestal, thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
it is fed by the transfer switch. Pedestal to transfer switch to panel. To me sounds like the breaker on the pedestal tripped, but the handle didn't move, so when you turned it off you reset it. Only other issue could be a bad transfer switch or loose plug.

Just my thinking.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

sounds like the culprit,
Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

I do have a surge protector and shows I have power coming in right
Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #8

In the past you use to hear about loose lugs on all the wire connections at the breakers. With ALL the power disconnected, I would check and tighten all the wire connections. Including at the generator.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #10

can someone tell me what these buttons do, I have no info on this in any of the books I have, they are very vague, I understand what the select button does,

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH inverter panel.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	54089
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

I had an issue where the shore power cable was loose where it connected to theMH. The end of the shore cable in my Greyhawk goes into a junction box at the back of the storage compartment it is stored in. Moving the shore cable would cause it to intermittently make a connection or disconnect. Check the wire nuts in the junction box, they loosen because the cable is pulled or pushed each time you use it.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #12

thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #13

well checked the wires for being loose, nothing there seems it was the pedestal, we have moved since, and it has been fine, maybe I didn't see the failt on the ems I have, but anyway it is good for now,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I had an issue where the shore power cable was loose where it connected to theMH. The end of the shore cable in my Greyhawk goes into a junction box at the back of the storage compartment it is stored in. Moving the shore cable would cause it to intermittently make a connection or disconnect. Check the wire nuts in the junction box, they loosen because the cable is pulled or pushed each time you use it.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
can someone tell me what these buttons do, I have no info on this in any of the books I have, they are very vague, I understand what the select button does,
Attachment 54089

That panel "kinda" controls your inverter. Here is the manual for it, you can change your setting there also. The way Jayco has it wired up you cant physically turn it off from this panel unless you disconnect the blue wire on the inverter itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter error codes.jpg   Inverter panel programming.png   Inverter programming 2.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 64-0074 B (Owners Manual, CSW2012-X).pdf (1.41 MB, 8 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

thanks RN
Old 10-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #16

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. When we got to the campsite we realized we had no power to the microwave, then checked some more and found out that none of the TV’s had power. Traced it back to the small breaker box and no power to it. So if you go look at your inverter (mine is mounted to the top of the basement bay next to the battery bay. One end has the DC cables and the other end has 2 black rubber cords that connect to 2 yellow 12/2 romex cables. One is the hot feed and the other feeds the small breaker box. So here is what happens; when you have no shore power or generator power, and the inverter is turned on as yours is according to the picture you posted, you have power from the inverter feeding the small breaker panel. When you have the power on fro shore power or generator, the hot feed just loops through the inverter and back out to the breaker box. To bypass it if it isn’t working correctly, you can connect the two yellow romex wires together (only if you feel comfortable working with electrical wiring) That is what I did to get through our trip. My inverter was bad and had to be replaced. I replaced the flat plastic connectors with twist plugs so if that happens again, I can simply unplug from the inverter and plug the two romex together. Just make sure to install the female plug on the hot feed romex.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #17

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfraser01 View Post
I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. When we got to the campsite we realized we had no power to the microwave, then checked some more and found out that none of the TVís had power. Traced it back to the small breaker box and no power to it. So if you go look at your inverter (mine is mounted to the top of the basement bay next to the battery bay. One end has the DC cables and the other end has 2 black rubber cords that connect to 2 yellow 12/2 romex cables. One is the hot feed and the other feeds the small breaker box. So here is what happens; when you have no shore power or generator power, and the inverter is turned on as yours is according to the picture you posted, you have power from the inverter feeding the small breaker panel. When you have the power on fro shore power or generator, the hot feed just loops through the inverter and back out to the breaker box. To bypass it if it isnít working correctly, you can connect the two yellow romex wires together (only if you feel comfortable working with electrical wiring) That is what I did to get through our trip. My inverter was bad and had to be replaced. I replaced the flat plastic connectors with twist plugs so if that happens again, I can simply unplug from the inverter and plug the two romex together. Just make sure to install the female plug on the hot feed romex.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

sounds like the inverter is bad, I have no read out on the inverter panel, must have been going out and when I reset the transfer it reset, the transfer is working when I go from shore power to generator I see it work, I will do what you said on the romex to see if it works to get me through to get the inverter out, since I am not limber enough to get it out in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfraser01 View Post
I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. When we got to the campsite we realized we had no power to the microwave, then checked some more and found out that none of the TVís had power. Traced it back to the small breaker box and no power to it. So if you go look at your inverter (mine is mounted to the top of the basement bay next to the battery bay. One end has the DC cables and the other end has 2 black rubber cords that connect to 2 yellow 12/2 romex cables. One is the hot feed and the other feeds the small breaker box. So here is what happens; when you have no shore power or generator power, and the inverter is turned on as yours is according to the picture you posted, you have power from the inverter feeding the small breaker panel. When you have the power on fro shore power or generator, the hot feed just loops through the inverter and back out to the breaker box. To bypass it if it isnít working correctly, you can connect the two yellow romex wires together (only if you feel comfortable working with electrical wiring) That is what I did to get through our trip. My inverter was bad and had to be replaced. I replaced the flat plastic connectors with twist plugs so if that happens again, I can simply unplug from the inverter and plug the two romex together. Just make sure to install the female plug on the hot feed romex.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #19

connected the feed and the load together on the romex like you wrote and it bypasted the inverter and wala it powered up the micro and tv's thanks,

by the way what the heck does the inverter power when your on battery only, could someone chime

JUST THE TV PLUGS OR MICRO TOO
Old 12-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #20

is there a better place them Amazon to get a replacement inverter