Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Snow Removal

I have a Greyhawk 29MV and have an event around Feb 25 in Orlando Florida.

Here is the problem. My RV is outside and i live near Boston, So in February I can expect 3' of snow to be on top of my RV.

Covering the top with a tarp might be an idea, but I don't think i am strong enough to remove it or will cause damage trying to do so.

Climbing on top would probably be suicidal. So, the only option I can come up with is a roof rake.

If anybody has tried to remove snow and used a rake or have a better Idea, I would like to know what type of rake specifically or process you did.
Ribblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribblet View Post
If anybody has tried to remove snow and used a rake or have a better Idea, I would like to know what type of rake specifically or process you did.
I always had a plastic snow roof rake. Kept it in the MH for just such occasions, just be careful around the vents.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-1.../dp/B0060G4TV4
Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

If the snow has not melted and re-frozen into a hard shell a leaf blower might help. Or a gentle cruise down to the local car/truck wash to get it off.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

Tarp is an extremely bad idea.
3' of snow on it, a leaf blower ain't gonna touch it.
You'll be forever at a truck wash and if it's cold enough out to have 3' of snow on it whatever got wet at the wash is now a block of ice.
Best thing is a roof rake that's a soft compound. Give the kid next door $10 and have him climb up there and take it off, CAREFULLY without damaging any of the vents, a/c units, etc. Or himself for that matter.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribblet View Post
I have a Greyhawk 29MV and have an event around Feb 25 in Orlando Florida.

Here is the problem. My RV is outside and i live near Boston, So in February I can expect 3' of snow to be on top of my RV.....snip
IMO I would entertain another form of transportation ...., even if you did clear the 3ft of frozen snow the east coast travel weather will be the next challenge to deal with in February.

Or...., consider inside or structured covered storage for the next three months.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO I would entertain another form of transportation ...., even if you did clear the 3ft of frozen snow the east coast travel weather will be the next challenge to deal with in February.

Or...., consider inside or structured covered storage for the next three months.

Bob
It will only get to three feet if he lets it accumulate. If I knew we had a trip coming up I would remove it after each snow fall that is why the rake works great since you can work off a step ladder and don't have to even get on the roof.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It will only get to three feet if he lets it accumulate. If I knew we had a trip coming up I would remove it after each snow fall that is why the rake works great since you can work off a step ladder and don't have to even get on the roof.
BINGO & it’s good exercise.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

3 feet of snow on your RV? We live just east of Mount Washington in Maine in ski country and never have had three feet on the RV. Most of it blows off even though there is usually several feet on the ground.

Keeping up with snow removal is a must. Boston area like most of maritime NE gets a mess of wet snow. Any significant accumulation of wet snow is a big roof load. Surely you have heard of roof collapses as they are quite numerous in both our areas ( but here mostly in March when we get the wet goo).

The bigger challenge is the ice build up.. A tarp is going to be lethal when you pull it off. We have a metal house roof with a 7.7/12 pitch. When old snow comes down it literally can injure you badly ( we have snow stops . Annual snowfall is about 150 inches)

So no tarp. Keep up with removal with a plastic not metal roof rake and a long handled broom if you are fortunate enough to have powder. The leaf blower is worth a try though with the way our storms have been ending lately you have to do this mid storm before it starts sleeting or raining.

The very biggest challenge is getting ALL the snow or ice off the roof and the car wash can be handy. We can't do it in our driveway as it would for a long time be a skating rink but as you are some 15 degrees warmer you might be able to.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It depends on the situation how snow will stay on the roof of an RV. Dry snow blows off easy with a leaf-blower. When waiting till snow melt the weight will rise.
I usual let it rise till 30", but it depends on the amount of temperature differentials.
Remember ice conditions make things worse for weight. Always be careful on any roof there are already enough suggestions here.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #10

Heat It Up

Try turning on the furnace a few days ahead of the trip. It may melt everything off.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Try turning on the furnace a few days ahead of the trip. It may melt everything off.
Never thought of that. I suppose that the roof is really poorly insulated.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #12

Get a Sno Brum, available at most any auto departments. Google it. Car dealers use this. Then go to Lowes or Home Depot Paint dept and get a good telescoping pole for longer reach.
I use an extension ladder to get on the roof or you can do it from the ladder.
I agree with previous post to clean it off after each storm. Not doing so can create ice buildup. Ask me how I know.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
I always had a plastic snow roof rake. Kept it in the MH for just such occasions, just be careful around the vents.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-1.../dp/B0060G4TV4
Yep... use it after each storm that dumps more than 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Tarp is an extremely bad idea.
3' of snow on it, a leaf blower ain't gonna touch it.
You'll be forever at a truck wash and if it's cold enough out to have 3' of snow on it whatever got wet at the wash is now a block of ice.
Best thing is a roof rake that's a soft compound. Give the kid next door $10 and have him climb up there and take it off, CAREFULLY without damaging any of the vents, a/c units, etc. Or himself for that matter.
use the snow rake... be carefull around the vents and AC and when you get to warm climate, the stuff on the roof will be melted.

Quote:
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Not a good idea... the vents and AC are poorly insulated.. when the snow/ice starts to melt, it is trapped in a area that is surrounded by snow and ice... it will pool more and more snow melt that will come thru the vents and other openings in the roof.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote