Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob View Post
What choice does the utility company have? The laws allowed the people to sue them into bankruptcy so now that they try to protect the people of the state people want to complain. You can’t have it both ways. If this is the future looks like a generator is in everyone’s future. I know the blackouts hurt but if it saves lives that’s what matters.

Good luck with the Fire season
Ask the folks that have been burned out of their homes or the families who have had loved ones killed due to wild fires if they have a problem with a periodic black out. Go solar with battery backup to solve the problem. The payback is not that long in sunny CA. I guess PG&E could raise their rates to upgrade their grid to be more wind proof -- that may cost uses more than going solar.
rowemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #22

As a lineman it's funny to me how everyone hates us for trimming trees and replacing old poles and worn out equipment. Nobody wants a tire mark on their driveway or a rut in a field, but when the storms demolish the grid everybody goes back to the stone age and we get the green light to rip down fences and drive through nice yards to do whatever it takes to get it back up. Once it's back up and running everyone wants to complain and get a check for property damage. Cant have your cake and eat it too. If you are going to sue over loss expect rates to go up, service to drop or live off the grid. Lines have been placed aerial for over 100 years. They get torn down and replaced again by guys like me. We can only do so much. I take pride in my job because I do the impossible for the ungreatfull everyday. Suck it up and deal with the minor inconvenience all the sue happy people have caused. Have any of you looked at how many structures there are supplying power to everyone? They dont last forever and are getting swapped out day and night seven days a week as needed.
DurtymaxLineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtymaxLineman View Post
As a lineman it's funny to me how everyone hates us for trimming trees and replacing old poles and worn out equipment. Nobody wants a tire mark on their driveway or a rut in a field, but when the storms demolish the grid everybody goes back to the stone age and we get the green light to rip down fences and drive through nice yards to do whatever it takes to get it back up. Once it's back up and running everyone wants to complain and get a check for property damage. Cant have your cake and eat it too. If you are going to sue over loss expect rates to go up, service to drop or live off the grid. Lines have been placed aerial for over 100 years. They get torn down and replaced again by guys like me. We can only do so much. I take pride in my job because I do the impossible for the ungreatfull everyday. Suck it up and deal with the minor inconvenience all the sue happy people have caused. Have any of you looked at how many structures there are supplying power to everyone? They dont last forever and are getting swapped out day and night seven days a week as needed.
Amen brother.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
High winds coming in, and to reduce their liability for wild fires the utilities are shutting the power off in large areas of the state. And this isn’t even a major event and just the first of the season.

We were staying at Yosemite Lakes RV park last week and the power was shut off due to a fire in the area and high winds predicted. Im just glad we had the RV and Toad filled up as there was no fuel available anywhere for a long ways!. Also glad I had an EMS as the park was running a generator for our section and the EMS had cut it off as it was only putting out 82 volts! Several RVs by us were not so lucky.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
We were staying at Yosemite Lakes RV park last week and the power was shut off due to a fire in the area and high winds predicted. Im just glad we had the RV and Toad filled up as there was no fuel available anywhere for a long ways!. Also glad I had an EMS as the park was running a generator for our section and the EMS had cut it off as it was only putting out 82 volts! Several RVs by us were not so lucky.
YEP...…. NEVER plug in without using an EMS.
They have saved my electrical system and A/C numerous times.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote